Is Windows 10 stable enough for a main OS?

I am currently using build 10049 on my main system. I did a clean install of it as there were some big update problems.

I previously had two other builds before that and had them on my main system.

I have so far had no problems. Banking e-mail all work. 

Hope this helps to answer your question.

Larry

Yeah, who wouldn't want constant hardlocks and blue screens. To get the best stability I've seen people saying they have to use Windows 8.1 WDDM drivers which basically defeats that purpose altogether.

It's called a "preview" for a reason... because it's not meant for daily use. Not to mention the fact that it's basically one giant piece of spyware that sends back the content of your documents. Not a great thing if you hold data you want kept secure.

Constant hardlocks and blue-screens? I've had fewer of those on all three bare-metal installs of 10 (combined) than the single bare-metal install of 8.1 over the same period.

And you don't want to put anything that needs higher-level security on any beta OS - and I don't/won't recommend that to anyone. (By the way, that same recommendation applies equally to Linux distributions, beta versions of OS X, and even beta versions of any BSD.) And if you are referring to the keylogger, if you are THAT paranoid over Microsoft, why would anyone install a suspect ROM for a smartphone or tablet - about which far LESS is known than even Windows 10?

I have had no major issues with windows 10 at all and I wouldn't mind having it as my main OS but just cant be bothered installing stuff again and I always prefer to do fresh installs instead of upgrades. My W10 has only been in VM though.

Its the same idea as WP10 - I always install the previews on my main phone :) I like to participate for real in that respect.

If you have concerns why not dual boot?

Constant hardlocks and blue-screens? I've had fewer of those on all three bare-metal installs of 10 (combined) than the single bare-metal install of 8.1 over the same period.

And you don't want to put anything that needs higher-level security on any beta OS - and I don't/won't recommend that to anyone. (By the way, that same recommendation applies equally to Linux distributions, beta versions of OS X, and even beta versions of any BSD.) And if you are referring to the keylogger, if you are THAT paranoid over Microsoft, why would anyone install a suspect ROM for a smartphone or tablet - about which far LESS is known than even Windows 10?

Well the fact that custom ROM makers are obliged to release the source code, and people can dig into the inner workings of the OS tends to be a pretty significant factor in the case of a custom ROM. The argument that you can't know anything about them is utter crap, and shows how little you know about Android. And I was just replying to you acting as if basically there's no reason to use it as a main OS when there are a couple of rather big ones.

I'll remind you again (as, shockingly enough you ignored me last time I made this point): You cannot have tested it on all these people's hardware configurations so your assertion that you don't get those problems therefore nobody can be getting them is nothing more than grandstanding on your part.

I'm running the latest (10049) release build as my main OS on my Asys ROG G75vx. I had issues with the subwoofer on previous builds so I wasn't running any of them as a main OS. Few minor issues which are already known issues.

Your metal is bad. 8.1 is solid. Please make these type of comparisons to XP or 8 RTM.

I've been using Windows 10 as a main OS since 9926. Been a great experience and although 9926 is by far the best and most stable build, 10049 is also rock solid. I get only 2 issues (even after todays small hotfixes) of my X-Fi mb3 program getting IRQ errors on loading as the realtek needs to loads first and dde server issues with explorer.exe during shutdown and reboots. Never had those issues with 9926. But yeah, its stable enough to use as a main OS although because of the constant build updates and possible errors I wouldnt recommend it unless ure a power user who knows what ure doing.

Microsoft has not committed Windows 10 to a June release.

I remember reading an article here at neowin.net that said June was the targeted release date unless they retracted that? I hardly think Summer will materialize an RTM date. I'd say more like late August/September would be realistic.

Is any OS stable enough? If they were, there wouldn't need to be updates to it all the time.

What's your definition of "enough"? I'd be more worried about using an OS that receives 0 updates as opposed to an OS that receives them frequently. Any software as complicated as an OS will need updates (especially in today's climate).

Your metal is bad. 8.1 is solid. Please make these type of comparisons to XP or 8 RTM.

MorganX - 8.1 had fewer issues than 7 - and the issue with 8.1 is a KNOWN issue (that happens in one of the two games that won't work in 10's Technical Preview), so I can't say that it's the hardware OR the game.  And it's the only issue I even HAVE with 8.1.  It's due to the two games not working that it (10) isn't my main OS; however, it IS stable enough to be a daily-driver otherwise - and it is.

MorganX - 8.1 had fewer issues than 7 - and the issue with 8.1 is a KNOWN issue (that happens in one of the two games that won't work in 10's Technical Preview), so I can't say that it's the hardware OR the game.  And it's the only issue I even HAVE with 8.1.  It's due to the two games not working that it (10) isn't my main OS; however, it IS stable enough to be a daily-driver otherwise - and it is.

I was being facetious about the bad hardware. 10 is stable enough for a preview at home. I personally would not recommend it. There are some compatability/functionality issues I ran into with Lync, Office 2013 (Actually Outlook). A few other pieces of software would work right. Even pinning an Internal SharePoint site to the taskbar had issues. But it is a Technical Preview. They just got the Search Bar fixed with 10041. Home, yes, main OS for business, nah.

I was being facetious about the bad hardware. 10 is stable enough for a preview at home. I personally would not recommend it. There are some compatability/functionality issues I ran into with Lync, Office 2013 (Actually Outlook). A few other pieces of software would work right. Even pinning an Internal SharePoint site to the taskbar had issues. But it is a Technical Preview. They just got the Search Bar fixed with 10041. Home, yes, main OS for business, nah.

Agreed there, MorganX - it's those pesky line-of-business applications that typically get updated last, if at all.

i ran 9841 and probably previous ones IN PRODUCTION and loved it---several months maybe almost a year.  now, it has timed out and they force 10041 upon me which just flashes all the screens at about 1-second intervals.  impossible to rollback, impossible ot 'check for newer build.'  it is a DISASTER.

DON'T DO IT!

I was able to recover using win7 media to 9841 but now can only run a couple hours before MS starts threatening to shut me down.  I'll rebuild with win 7 and give up on them.  or get linux.

Edited by zhangm

All of my stuff is either in OneDrive or on my RAID1 which holds my server VM. I wipe my OS regularly with any sign of fatigue or bugginess. So Windows 10 is my main OS.

Windows 10 for phone however I just reverted back to 8.1 on my main phone.

• 3 weeks later...

With the Usability Gauntlet now complete, Windows 8.x is headed for VM-dom - the home for operating systems I no longer run bare-metal.  Daybreak Games' latest update to DC Universe Online (my daily MMO) fixed the Windows 10 issues.  Therefore, Windows 8.x will be retired this weekend.

10079 forward has become my main OS - across ALL my hardware - it was the only OS on my notebooks already.

This is also the second consecutive OS that got promoted to main OS during the beta cycle - the other was, naturally, Windows 8 itself.

It's not about touch - none of my hardware supports it.  It IS about feature support, hardware support, software support and usability.

Now I need to find the proper (gold, of course) USB stick to load 8.1 on for it's travel to VM-dom.../s

Windows 10 could go gold in June - probably late June - if they kept at the current pace.  There's a huge difference between going gold and it being on the store shelves, usually a 3 month gap.  So if it goes gold in late June early July, we'd see it on OEM machines and shelves by the October timeframe which is perfect for Xmas, and the tech enthusiasts can most likely get it electronically faster via Windows Update in time for the new school year.  It's pretty ideal.

But that's a date-driven deadline, so if there are technical/bug reasons it shouldn't be released by then, who knows.  But they could honestly lock down features and go into a pure bug-crunch mode and have it ready in 2 months.

Even adding new features to the underlying OS as they get closer to release date isn't that scary anymore -- in some ways it's just updating an application, not the OS.  For example Edge will most likely be revised and updated right up to launch and even after.  It's a brave new world. 

yes, win10 on desk and laptop, beta nvidia drivers working alright can play gta v without problems. just need a windows phone to install win10 on it. loving microsoft