[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

Ok I will give it another look over.  One more question if I may?

I play Elder Scrolls Online a LOT, however on my last trial of Windows 10 Home, I really struggled with getting good fps rates, compared to Windows 7 i was down about 30fps!

I get solid frames on my setup (i5-4460, GTX 650Ti) with maxed settings. Might be driver related in your case.

Reboot resolved this issue and seemed to be a perm fix.  Changed the colors again and didnt have this problem.

I wonder if it's not a driver issue with your graphics card, if it happens again, instead of doing a full restart try to only restart explorer.exe or maybe the graphics driver if you can find it in task manager, it should restart automatically, and see if that fixes it.

Didn't Thurrot and Tom Warren confirm it was SR1?

Tom said it was, but there are no known visual changes it was, its more just bug fixes since RTM. I also saw tweets saying it was a pre-patch for insiders to put us on the TH2 or SR2 ring or whatever its called... Eitherway - long as we getting updates every couple of weeks im happy - shows that Microsoft and the Windows team is still hard at work.

Didn't Thurrot and Tom Warren confirm it was SR1?

Are either of them Microsoft employees?  Microsoft sure didn't call it that.

Can anyone confirm a single bugfix?  

I mean, are we calling the July 29th update a service release too?  It was mostly (entirely perhaps?) everything contained in the daily updates the Insiders got prior.  

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081424

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3074683

I really hope MS isn't referring to these as service releases.  I'd expect service releases to be composed of fixes I don't already have.  I guess I expected more.  

Edited by adrynalyne

Here's another screenshot of the flashing black phenomenon I'm experiencing. It can be reproduced by going to any folder; select view, options, select view in folder options, then select "apply to folders".

win10pos.jpg

Anyone install the new SR1 update and notice any changes yet?

Before it when I copy link from chrome and paste it in Edge address box it will be from right to left but after this patch it is now from left to right as it should be.

I re-installed Windows 10 x64 UK yesterday and ran the Winleaf program, just noticed I'm not on the generic key anymore, my key now seems to be unique, anyone getting the same? (Thinking it might just be a new generic key). It ends in HCFC6.

EDIT: Does seem to be a new generic key, my laptop, which is still running the insider preview, is showing the same key.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

If I click the Excel icon, Excel starts straight away, but if I click on an Excel file it takes about 10-15 seconds before it starts. None of the files are big or contain massive amounts of sheets/data/macros. Any idea what that could be? This only happened after I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 8.1. So I did a clean install, just to verify if it was an update problem, but the problem persists.

The new Mail app also doesn't pick up all the mail. There is this one random email that I can clearly see in my inbox on the web, put the mail app just never picks it up.

Edge scrolling is smooth, but I run into much more waits/page loads in facebook or neowin, compared to Modern IE11. I can keep scrolling the page but it goes blank and needs time to catch up.

I hope they sort some of these issues out soon

I re-installed Windows 10 x64 UK yesterday and ran the Winleaf program, just noticed I'm not on the generic key anymore, my key now seems to be unique, anyone getting the same? (Thinking it might just be a new generic key). It ends in HCFC6.

EDIT: Does seem to be a new generic key, my laptop, which is still running the insider preview, is showing the same key.

I re-installed yesterday too oddly enough, and it seems I'm activated OK, but it's still the old generic key ... ends 3V66T!

This is on an Acer tablet with authentic Win 7 key, plus I'm an 'insider' too, so I'm not sure whats going on ?

i've been running 10240 very smooth since released until last night, Mail, Calendar and store stopped working suddenly, i couldn't fix them so i reset the PC while keeping the files, after the reset my Windows was deactivated and kept giving me a runtime error on a ?personalization.exe" or something like that, needless to say i ended up doing a full reset, everything working well now.

What could have caused such a chain of issues? 

If I click the Excel icon, Excel starts straight away, but if I click on an Excel file it takes about 10-15 seconds before it starts. None of the files are big or contain massive amounts of sheets/data/macros. Any idea what that could be? This only happened after I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 8.1. So I did a clean install, just to verify if it was an update problem, but the problem persists.

[snip]

I hope they sort some of these issues out soon

Have noticed this myself from a couple of builds back.

For further irritation, try changing the "open with" application of a particular file extension.  Either from the (right click) context menu or from the Control Panel... it can't be done from the Settings App because there you can only change to a Store bought App. Anyway, try getting a .gif file to be opened by your favourite win32 Gif viewer.  It takes something like 10 full *minutes* for the file to actually open the first time or for the change to register with Control Panel!! The change does take eventually but the delay is ridiculous?

I'm running a fully activated copy of the latest build as an Insider.  Interestingly Winleaf shows a different key to Nirsoft ProduKey. Winleaf displays the key ending in HCFC6 and ProduKey the key ending in 3V66T How does that happen?

I re-installed yesterday too oddly enough, and it seems I'm activated OK, but it's still the old generic key ... ends 3V66T!

This is on an Acer tablet with authentic Win 7 key, plus I'm an 'insider' too, so I'm not sure whats going on ?

Are you in the UK too? Maybe they're splitting keys geographically.

Any idea of how to limit the searches only to Start Menu items? I I tried turning off the Windows Search service but unlike previous versions of Windows that broke the apps search in the Start Menu as well. Then I opened the indexing options and removed all the entries except for Start Menu, but now the Start Menu keeps saying it's indexing (but the indexing has completed) and would only find part of the apps. Is there any particular folder I should enable indexing on to have it work?

Any idea of how to limit the searches only to Start Menu items? I I tried turning off the Windows Search service but unlike previous versions of Windows that broke the apps search in the Start Menu as well. Then I opened the indexing options and removed all the entries except for Start Menu, but now the Start Menu keeps saying it's indexing (but the indexing has completed) and would only find part of the apps. Is there any particular folder I should enable indexing on to have it work?

Well, I'd assume most of your Start menu items would be coming from /Program Files/ and /Program Files (x86)/, in addition to wherever Metro apps are stored. Although, it seems to me like limiting search to only Start menu items would be pretty limiting on Windows 10, especially since things like Cortana are going to rely on system-wide indexing services.

Just tried to install the new version of Kaspersky IS (16.x) and boy is it broken. Got it giving me memory read errors, and then to top that off it refused to uninstall. I think I am going to just let my license slip and stick with Avast, which has never done this to me.

As for Excel: I'm using the 2016 tech preview and excel sheets, both new format and 97-2003 format open almost instantly.

Well, I'd assume most of your Start menu items would be coming from /Program Files/ and /Program Files (x86)/, in addition to wherever Metro apps are stored. Although, it seems to me like limiting search to only Start menu items would be pretty limiting on Windows 10, especially since things like Cortana are going to rely on system-wide indexing services.

The start menu links come from two folders, one in "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" (applications installed for all users), the other in "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" (applications installed for current user) but the start menu keeps saying "we are preparing search..." even though indexing has finished; and rebooting and rebuilding the index doesn't seem to make the message disappear. I researched a bit into the issue and it seems that the problem of applications not being found seems to be unrelated (Win10 search seems to have some problems for some users) but I'd really love to get rid of that 'we are preparing search...' message. Regarding Cortana I don't really use it but it works fine with just those two folders indexed.

The start menu links come from two folders, one in "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" (applications installed for all users), the other in "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" (applications installed for current user) but the start menu keeps saying "we are preparing search..." even though indexing has finished; and rebooting and rebuilding the index doesn't seem to make the message disappear. I researched a bit into the issue and it seems that the problem of applications not being found seems to be unrelated (Win10 search seems to have some problems for some users) but I'd really love to get rid of that 'we are preparing search...' message. Regarding Cortana I don't really use it but it works fine with just those two folders indexed.

If the indexing never finishes running could it be a case of permissions not being right?  Was this a clean install or a upgrade?  Some times, over the years, when I've upgraded my PCs at times, for whatever reason, permissions go out of whack.  The index service should be able to access everything regardless but maybe not?  It seems weird to me.

Does it really matter what the update it called itself?  It's just one big update for August and probably not the last one we'll see.   The real thing will be the bigger update in the fall (oct/nov) and what that brings to the table.  At this point they don't have to name these things anything specific, if they're just bug fixes it's not needed.  With red stone next year though, once you bring in new features then you'll have to name them something, be it 10.1 or something else.   I like the way the Xbox team does it with just using the month+year name for system updates.