Windows Update in Windows 10: A massive bag of hurt

While I think updates can be helpful. MSFT screwed Windows 10 up out of the gate. if you have 10 pro, you can goto "edit group policy" and "windows update" and then change a drop down box to get updates but have the freedom to choose to install.

we home users are screwed because we can't do that. let's hope someone with an ounce of intelligence at MSFT will allow for this feature to come back. I see updates creating the reboot loop like a drive by shooting.

So you have to get the Pro Version of Windows 10 to hide updates that no longer work?  WTF?  Microsoft getting desperate can not handle the heat from Apple.

So you have to get the Pro Version of Windows 10 to hide updates that no longer work?  WTF?  Microsoft getting desperate can not handle the heat from Apple.

Honest question: How exactly does apple play into this at all?

IMO: If you want a feature that's available in the pro version, buy the pro version... Microsoft is a business people just because they offered a free upgrade doesn't mean it will cater to your every whim....  Lets try it this way: there is a new smoothie shop that sells smoothies with set ingredients, if you want to customize (add, remove, delete, modify amount, ect you have to pay extra).. does it really sound that crazy?

I do agree that it's somewhat silly from an end user perspective to force a particular edition of the software into such a requirement... but by no means In my head is it unacceptable.

I generally try to keep quiet... but comments like these are really annoying.

Unless you are a volume license customer, running Enterprise Editions, and managing updates with your own internal WSUS servers... then you too are "normal" people.  Don't let a little technical knowledge go to your head.

Even if you are managing your own servers( I have no idea why one would for some use..) its freaking windows server, it is not very complicated.  Windows in general is for normal people, this is by design.

To the people moaning about Home users basically should leave this website, can I ask why your running Windows and not coding your own version of Linux, if you are so elite Gaben has you on speed dial, why are you running Windows?

snip

Edited by zhangm

we home users are screwed because we can't do that. let's hope someone with an ounce of intelligence at MSFT will allow for this feature to come back. I see updates creating the reboot loop like a drive by shooting.

I'm sorry but in the 15+ years I've been using windows a reboot loop has never happened to me. infinite or otherwise. I'm sure it's a calculated risk... honestly I find it a good idea as long as they test out their updates somewhat thoroughly.

If your an elite techie why are you running Windows and not the latest Linux Distro?

I have Ubuntu 15.xx running at home. I also have a Raspbian running as well. I prefer Windows because I use it at work

Well I have one option to me, roll back to Windows 7 Home Premium and get back all the controls I had before.  Which is exactly what I am doing. 

Lol do you seriously think that patching that 1 flaw will leave users protected? At this point of writing, there are few security holes in Windows 10 down to Windows XP which you, me and even Microsoft is unaware of. At least do you accept that no software can ever be invulnerable? Security problems will be there forever.

But one forced update be it bad Nvidia, Intel or AMD driver or MS KB patch can cause havoc.

what kind of logic is that. because security is never perfect, people shouldn't bother with security fixes? reducing the attack surface will reduce the risk of an attack. dealing with a bad driver is not nearly as serious. having forced updates is something that should have been done a long time ago, and glad its now in effect.

So basically Microsoft thinks all Home users are idiots and does not know how to do updates so we must spend more because they think most Home users want to spend more but can do most computer basics but can not trust them to update what it is needed.

Makes sense if we are still using only a DOS.

My upgrade didn't use the current Intel and NVidia drivers I had installed.

My display was running on generic Microsoft drivers so I had to download the drivers and install manually.

Windows Update didn't do anything.

Even soundcard drivers/programs aren't working right.

I'm definitely looking forward to an update to this Windows 10 mess.

I dont know what I was thinking when I decided to give it a shot, lol,

and even though my computer still works great, and install went smooth pretty much,

I still pretty much dont like Windows 10. Its god awful really.

I'm sorry but in the 15+ years I've been using windows a reboot loop has never happened to me. infinite or otherwise. I'm sure it's a calculated risk... honestly I find it a good idea as long as they test out their updates somewhat thoroughly.

It's never happened to me either, does that mean just because it's never happened to you that it doesn't exist? No, that's complete and utter nonsense. You don't even have to look that far back, an update for windows XP was pushed that caused an infinite reboot loop for anyone with an AMD CPU - on the 'wow ms screwed that up' from 0 to 10 I'd say doing that comes in at a hefty 12/10.

While I think updates can be helpful. MSFT screwed Windows 10 up out of the gate. if you have 10 pro, you can goto "edit group policy" and "windows update" and then change a drop down box to get updates but have the freedom to choose to install.

I'm on Enterprise LTSB and I can't do it...

Can someone help me,please?