Windows Update in Windows 10: A massive bag of hurt

personally out of the ton of computers I have it seems a bit silly to spend that much to get pro on them all (and so far from what I've been hearing on 10 Pro's update options it's not turning out to be all that good anyway).

You didn't clone your drives? Hell, I did that. MS doesn't seem to care if you run multiple copies in your home.

Also, proof that the Windows 10 Multi Monitor Support works.

Windows 10 64bit Multi Monitor Support - BinaryData's PC

I just got done making a video on how to disable Windows Update using a different method other than advance settings section of Windows Update

You didn't clone your drives? Hell, I did that. MS doesn't seem to care if you run multiple copies in your home.

Silly me staying legal.... :woot:  

But some time I pass them on to others, family\friends when they need a computer and I like to keep it on the up and up for them.

Edited by Dadwen
Seems I can't spell.

Silly me staying legal.... :woot:  

But some time I pass them on to others, family\friends when they need a computer and I like to keep it on the up and up for them.

Silly you, who does that these days?! :p

What he's saying is; If you're on this site, you must be a techie, if that's the case, why are you on Home and not Pro?

because I don't want to spend 200 dollars on the pro version or don't want to buy a more expensive desktop just to get pro? :p I guess I'm not that much of a geek then but nobody's perfect right :p

Right. Most people don't read what edition of Windows being featured on the price tag...  

For example, "Oh I like this computer.. good specs"   They don't realize it is a Home edition until they took it home and realized it is.

I fix the computers from home and I have asked customers, "what edition of Windows you run?", they usually say, "I don't know." ... That's why I asked them to bring it to me for the fix.

/face palm

Well if they don't even know what version of Windows they have, they have no business disabling updates.

because I don't want to spend 200 dollars on the pro version or don't want to buy a more expensive desktop just to get pro? :p I guess I'm not that much of a geek then but nobody's perfect right :p

I suppose people that don't own a Porsche Ferrari or Lamborghini can't really call them selves a gear head then as we all know the wiliness to throw around extra $$ displays your level of knowledge of something...   :rofl:

• Like 2

Most users on here aren't running Windows Home Edition, we run the highest available. Also, almost all of us are tech geeks, we do a lot of different things.
What he's saying is; If you're on this site, you must be a techie, if that's the case, why are you on Home and not Pro?

Why do people not spend money on things they don't need?

...do you really need to ask this question?  I don't understand.

Why do people not spend money on things they don't need?

...do you really need to ask this question?  I don't understand.

Simply because people want what they can get. You don't NEED Windows 10 Pro, but if it's the best of the best, then why the f*** not?

I buy based off a few things.

1. Will it be useful in 6 months, a year, two years?
2. Is it a need or a want?
3. Can I afford too? (I don't use my CC much..)

4. Why AM I buying this?

I mean, most of it's just logical. To reference BudMan, he disagrees with how I purchase my PC parts, I wait for good deals and then buy. I'm going to try it his way, which is buy it all at once. The cost is another thing. I don't NEED a $500 HDD, but I want it because I know I'll use it, and in the future I can upgrade it.

But meh. I don't care about OS's, Pro vs Home, ultimate vs pro, doesn't mean squat to me. It does it's job, and it performs. Much like a hooker. :p

Don't see how it's an issue at all. Most gamers will be running Win7 or Win10 Pro (which allows control over updates). I think it's a good idea, makes sure your average Joe keeps their system up to date. Granted that is a generalization and some gamers will be running Win10 Home, but this might be incentive for them to update to Pro? unless they are ok with forced updated. either way, there is a simple solution and I think for 90% of the people out there it's going to be a non-issue. Well my 2 cents anyway...

Pro too does not allow as much control as Windows 7 or 8. Problem is with metered Wifi or cellular connections. I don't want my system to update on a connection where bandwidth is costly.

Well if they don't even know what version of Windows they have, they have no business disabling updates.

They have. One would not want the update to consume bandwidth when on the metered network. For example, on my Surface Pro 3, I did not reserve a WIndows 10 upgrade but MS went ahead and silently downloaded the full installation onto my system without my consent even though I did not reserve. SInce I was already at the brink of my FUP usage, my usage crossed over and now I would be on a crawling network for 3 days.

If you're running Windows 10 Home, I don't know what you're doing on a site like Neowin.

I'm using home.. and?

Does anyone think forcing updates on everyone is a good idea? 

At first I thought it is definitely a good idea to save common users from getting malware due to updated system. But with forced driver updates, it automatically kills gamer's enthusiasm. The Nvidia driver which was forced on us few days back messed up good systems. So even if users installed an older working driver, Windows 10 forcibly installed the faulty driver again and again. 

Geeks like us had to download and run Microsoft tool to disable specific driver or system update package manually.

This itself is huge and one faulty driver can knock out millions of perfectly working PCs. PC gamers like to tinker around with drivers to try and get the maximum possible fps performance. Sometimes newer driver degrades performance in older games. So in such specific scenario, we need the old driver.

Microsoft should make driver updates optional. 

What does Neowin think about it?

Its only Windows 10 Home Edition that is forced, even then there's a tool released by microsoft to stop it, Windows 10 all updates are optional and you can install it as you please, Only reason they were forced at start was because they were insider ones and insider had it forced to keep you on latest build

Oh,yes,be happy with your CBB despite you could avoid any penalties from the start with CB. (Home)

The days of Pro & its fellas has passed out many long time ago.

But nah,there are old-fashion users among us.

Umm, I don't get it? What do you mean?

Yes but I still have no clue as to what you're talking about, I'm sorry. Are you're trying to insult users for getting the 'Pro' version of Windows 10 by saying it's for retrogrades? Or did you actually try to address my concern about the update process?

Yes but I still have no clue as to what you're talking about, I'm sorry. Are you're trying to insult users for getting the 'Pro' version of Windows 10 by saying it's for retrogrades? Or did you actually try to address my concern about the update process?

I tried to tell you that Windows Update (at its overall) is the same for both. (Home&Pro)

I've seen EDU,then ENT (+/- LTSB)...no big deal...

Instead of being happy because MS is developing new stuff in the way it does today,you compete in an Edition's fight...

Related to the OP,why do you consider WU such a big pain? 

You can also stop playing slightly older games and only play those games which Nvidia or AMD are actively optimizing.

Erm, can you explain that? It sounds like you're saying older games won't work, and I don't believe that to be true...

Its only Windows 10 Home Edition that is forced, even then there's a tool released by microsoft to stop it, Windows 10 all updates are optional and you can install it as you please, Only reason they were forced at start was because they were insider ones and insider had it forced to keep you on latest build

No there is no such tool. The tool, which was posted on neowin wrongly saying it does only allows you to select an update and stop it being installed, and it applies to that update only, so if you wanted to stop automatic updates you'd have to constantly have it running and manually select every single update it showed you.

On W10 pro there is a checkbox 'defer updates' with no description, there is however 'learn more' button which when clicked does the most useless task ever of taking you to a page showing what editions of windows 10 there are, and does absolutely nothing to tell you what the defer update checkbox actually does.

EDIT: added a picture, lol yet another bug 'this is managed by your organisation' when I'm not assigned to an organisation and I picked home user, ffs... The (usless) link it takes you to when you click learn more: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/default.aspx?ocid=wc-mscom-win

blah.png

blah.png

Edited by n_K

Erm, can you explain that? It sounds like you're saying older games won't work, and I don't believe that to be true...

Older games will work but will run poorly because in order to optimize the driver for latest released game, Nvidia sometimes has to alter the way driver works and you loose the performance advantage in older games. In such scenario, you have to install an older driver to play the game correctly. But Windows Update will see the old driver and auto update it to the latest driver as quickly as it can. This is where the problems start.

Older games will work but will run poorly because in order to optimize the driver for latest released game, Nvidia sometimes has to alter the way driver works and you loose the performance advantage in older games. In such scenario, you have to install an older driver to play the game correctly. But Windows Update will see the old driver and auto update it to the latest driver as quickly as it can. This is where the problems start.

I know they've always done that, but it was my understanding they did that by seeing what game you are launching and then adjusting the settings for that (i.e. per game), so any updates they made to improve performance with e.g. battlefield 4 wouldn't effect other games or have I got that wrong?

I played '00s games on current stuff with no difference. (as better as it ever was)

Throw that away.

If you're running Windows 10 Home, I don't know what you're doing on a site like Neowin.

its a same story on windows 10 pro, so what do you say to that?

If you want control you need windows 10 enterprise, 

For the average user, which is something like 90% of the users, it's not an issue. It's an issue for people with custom setups and enterprises. On the whole, I think it's a good thing. If it's not a good thing for you then you gotta move up to pro or higher.