Join Neowin Folding@Home Group

ive just joined the Neowin team on my PC :)

Sadly its an old PC though, single core with an out-dated graphics card :(

AMD Athlon 3500+ 64bit 2.2Ghz

ATI Radeon 9600Pro

But hopefully it will contribute in some way

Im slightly concerned. My system over the past 2 days can only generate 50PPD. Do you think that is even worth me contributing since i hear other people earning 4000PPD-5000PPD?

My current project according to FahMon explains my preferred deadline is 01 May 2009 and the final deadline is 21st May which i know i will complete this project by next week as it is already on 45%. Is 50PPD really a bad idea if i was to get other projects which i cant complete in the deadline? Will that draw back on other projects?

have entered the number for the Neowin Team however i am still not showing up on the list nor does my stats show any score. Have i done anything wrong? Also, i understand that you cannot rely on the Viewer, but my viewer doesnt display any information when i press f4 (to the ATI layout). It shows the gene, but "donar", project name, time etc are all blank. Does anyone know why this is the case? Would i need to re-install?

Many thanks for your thoughts and opinions :)

• 3 weeks later...

with the number of people we have here on neowin.net, you'd think we'd be able to get more than 206 of them to contribute to F@H (only 98 active CPUs)

with the number of people we have here on neowin.net, you'd think we'd be able to get more than 206 of them to contribute to F@H (only 98 active CPUs)

Yep you would, hopefully these posts might spark some interest in the thread :)

Yep you would, hopefully these posts might spark some interest in the thread :)

Personally, I think the team should be advertised on the front page somewhere.

I think that with all the horsepower around neowin we should be#1

But i guess no one knows that we have a team.

If we could get some of the gamers using their gpu's we will dominate.

Edited by morebaker

We very well could be the #1 team.

Would any of the higher-ups around here be sympathetic to the cause? I'm not saying we need to badger people into participating, but an increased awareness would be nice.

I would love to participate properly but my electricity bills are more than I like at the moment anyway so my Pc is always switched off nowadays when im not using it to conserve power.

I've got the GPU client running but like I said it wont be on all the time like some peoples :p

Edited by LonelyCooler

Ever since the firmware update my ps3 will not fold correctly at all. It never connects to the server and when exiting the program about 50% of the time my ps3 locks up and restarts. I deleted the program and reinstalled it and it still won't work. *sigh*

Ever since the firmware update my ps3 will not fold correctly at all. It never connects to the server and when exiting the program about 50% of the time my ps3 locks up and restarts. I deleted the program and reinstalled it and it still won't work. *sigh*

lame :(

With regards to my computer having an ATI Radeon 9600Pro.. from what i can understand, that graphics card isnt supported with the Folding@Home so does that mean its just my CPU thats doing the folding? My CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2Ghz. Does anyone know? Anyone know how i can find out such information? Many thanks :)

With regards to my computer having an ATI Radeon 9600Pro.. from what i can understand, that graphics card isnt supported with the Folding@Home so does that mean its just my CPU thats doing the folding? My CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2Ghz. Does anyone know? Anyone know how i can find out such information? Many thanks :)

Yes it's your cpu. it's a completely different installer for the other high performance versions, such as gpu and smp clients.

Have you left your ps3 on constantly contributing since the PS3 launch or something? lol

Have you left your ps3 on constantly contributing since the PS3 launch or something? lol

lol, no. My ps3 has done over 1000 work units though.

thank you for letting me know. When i press the display button it does show the Graphical display which is what through

me off. But it doesnt show any detail data/numbers.. it just says:

Name: Reading XYZ

Core: Gromacs

Progress 0/0

However the tooltip and FahMon displays the correct data and how much i have folded so far. Is there any fix to that? or is it because im only using my cpu since my gpu isnt supported?

many thanks

Guys, i am trying to power through F@H work units.

Ive setup 2 ps3`s and 4 PC`s to do some serious folding, my problem is that i dunno how to set F@H to start automatically when my PC starts up, i cant find a setting for it and have to set it manually, can anyone help?

Cheers, Cammy

Guys, i am trying to power through F@H work units.

Ive setup 2 ps3`s and 4 PC`s to do some serious folding, my problem is that i dunno how to set F@H to start automatically when my PC starts up, i cant find a setting for it and have to set it manually, can anyone help?

Cheers, Cammy

Taken from Folding@Home website because i wasnt sure about the method for the console version if thats the version you are using

"If you have the systray client, all you have to do is to copy the Folding shortcut from the Start Menu FAH folder and paste it into the Start menu Startup folder.

Or

If you have the console version, start the client under admin privileges with the -configonly flag, go into advanced options, and enter "yes" when asked to install as a service."

:)

Does anyone have any problems at the moment receiving a new queue of jobs?

[11:35:28] + Attempting to get work packet

[11:35:28] - Connecting to assignment server

[11:35:28] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.139).

[11:35:28] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home

[11:35:29] Loaded queue successfully.

[11:35:29] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server

[11:35:29] + Could not connect to Work Server

[11:35:29] - Attempt #15 to get work failed, and no other work to do.

Waiting before retry.

Been like this for 2 days now. There isnt any information on folding@home's own forums.. im just wondering if there is something up with just me or if its anyone else also :(

I just uninstalled the software and re-installed it and it works correctly again now. I wonder if its because i installed IE8 since i got my last queue. Ive heard there has been some issues with IE7 back in the day with the settings for Folding@home