Join Neowin Folding@Home Group

I'd love to join but my PS3 has an issue with the fans coming on very loudly after any kind of intense action - Folding@Home only takes 2 minutes to make my ps3 fans unbearably loud.

Same with my 60GB, besides I always found it very inconvenient on this platform, when you fold you can't do anything else, so what's the point? Does it allow you to play music or something like that nowadays?

Same with my 60GB, besides I always found it very inconvenient on this platform, when you fold you can't do anything else, so what's the point? Does it allow you to play music or something like that nowadays?

yeah, you can play music.

I'm done folding for now. I didn't get credit for 3 work units in the last week. 1266 points total. Didn't get credit for 2 small work units before that, but it was only 15 points each. Not that the points are that important, but if my computer chugs along for 30 hours on a work unit, I should at least get credit for it. I already told them about one uncredited work unit, but I still haven't been given credit. Someone that has been folding for a while said that this is becoming more of a problem and I noticed more posts in the folding forum about no credit.

I received credit for the 3 work units today. 1266 points. I'll try folding again in a few weeks and hopefully the issue with receiving credit for completed units will be straightened out.

I just joined you guys with my laptop and desktop the other day. Laptop is running CPU version and steady away, desktop is using the new CUDA client on my SLi 8800GTS 512MB so should start seeing results from that in a day or two - ~2.5-3h estimated to complete one big WU of 25000. I'll let the desktop version run whenever I'm idle although unfortunately I power it down when I'm out (but not when sleeping). :)

I ran the GPU client for a while since I had no problem with that. I try the single processor client again and I can't upload work I finished and it's been a known problem for weeks. It shouldn't take weeks to fix a networking issue. They said they brought the issue to the attention of the Stanford networking people but nothing has been fixed yet. :|

Here are some examples:

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5787

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5307

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5768

I've been folding for over a month now and the issues seem to be compounding. First I can't get credit, now I can't upload work completed. So my question to the people folding for a year is; Is this normal or are these new problems?

Just passed 400k. :)

Wish I could get in on the GPU action but I'm on an old Nvidia 7600 and don't plan on upgrading any time soon. It's annoying because I'm currently running Folding on 4 dual-core CPUs and 1 PS3 and I'm clearly pulling in less points than even a single GPU client can manage. Ah well, one day!

Apologies, I've been down for a few days. Seems I need to RMA one of my 8800GTS, had been causing frequent BSODs until I removed it. :(

Down to 4879PPD + whatever my laptop's client brings in (am about to install SMP client on this also - 1.6GHz dual core).

Hopefully this team production graph should improve in the next few days :)

ny6z45.png

It is indeed, running 24/7 where possible and pulling in Total PPD of around 5994 a day. Have overclocked the shader on my 8800GTS until I get my other RMA'd back for now.

Team summary: here. Keep it up guys! :)

i hate how often the smp client errors. and of course it's never when I'm around. So my computer here at work sat idle for the 3 day weekend. *sigh*

I'm giving up folding for now for this exact reason. Both CPU and GPU occasionally get serious errors and shutdown.

Well the CPU crashes more. The GPU nowadays likes to slow down Aero by a fair bit. :/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apologies for my recent lack of folding, amongst holiday and unstable systems I think I'm back in business. No more truly annoying random BSODs :D

Anyways, I'm certainly liking the look of this now - hopefully be able to keep this running 24/7 where possible.

ppdqz6.png

• 2 weeks later...

i'm thinking of buying a refurb 8800 or something and throwing it in my old pc so I can run the gpu client at a decent speed. I don't know if it's really worth it though.

Depends if you'll use it for anything else or just folding though. I also use DXVA on occasion with Purevideo HD and one of my cards can be used for dedicated PhysX for gaming.

Depends if you'll use it for anything else or just folding though. I also use DXVA on occasion with Purevideo HD and one of my cards can be used for dedicated PhysX for gaming.

It would be just folding basically. I never use my old pc unless i need to find something on it. it probably hasn't even been turned on for 3 months or so. i would run it during the day when I'm at work so it doesn't annoy me at night. Or I could move it to the spare bedroom and let it run all the time. Or maybe I'll take it to work and leech off their electricity. lol

You could do that, but I would keep it at home unless you can remote desktop it. Unfortunately, recently there has been some bad WUs going out and clients have been EUE'ing a lot on v1.15, v1.18 and v1.19 (much less so) of FahCore_11. But since v1.19 my 8800GTS 512 cards are happily working all the time on larger proteins now.