Join Neowin Folding@Home Group

I stopped running the gpu client on my pc at work because I got a second monitor. I didn't think it would be a good idea to run it while using 2 LCDs at 1680x1050. So my daily points will be dropping a bit. It's not an nvidia so it didn't get a ton anyways, but still.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How many people are actually folding with a PS3? One person? Two people? I think this is a horrible place to put this thread. This was brought up two months ago and never addressed. I was thinking about folding for a while and then I stumbled across this thread and decided to join the Neowin team. The key word is stumbled. I don't own a sony console and have no reason to look here. If someone can come up with a better place for this, that would be great.

Yeah, just about everyone who looks at this topic agrees it should be moved. I don't know why it hasn't been yet. I guess they don't know where to put it...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay so I got my new PS3 Slim today. I've decided to start folding as my PC has a lot of idletime and the PS3 can handle those sort of tasks instead of turning it off.

I've got 1 x PS3, 1 x GPU Client, 2 x CPU Client

I think it's a bit silly that the F@H desktop client still doesn't support multicore CPUs properly, i've got to run 2 x CPU clients to barely hit 80% Utilisation on my Q9450.

Anyway, hopefully I should start going up in the ranks over the next few days.

So... is this project well alive? Cause Im a folding member and I was hoping to join neowin team.. I got 2 computers and a laptop willing to work their ass of :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been folding for neowin for over 4 years now and I still find it sad that with a community as large as ours, we only have 31 CPUs active in the past 50 days, 3 of which are mine (it'll be 4 once they release a new ATI GPU client that doesn't interfere with the SMP client).

How hard is it to download a piece of software and let it run in the background?

Edit: The stats just refreshed, we're down to 29 CPUs now. *sigh*

I've been folding for neowin for over 4 years now and I still find it sad that with a community as large as ours, we only have 31 CPUs active in the past 50 days, 3 of which are mine (it'll be 4 once they release a new ATI GPU client that doesn't interfere with the SMP client).

How hard is it to download a piece of software and let it run in the background?

Folding@Home is only one of many similar services. :p

Folding@Home is only one of many similar services. :p

Oh, I'm aware of that, and I'm not trying to convince anyone to stop contributing idle cpu time elsewhere. I just want more people to help out, and I'm curious as to why they don't.

• 4 weeks later...

Does F@H utilize ATi cards?

I'm currently computing for milkyway@home, but I could definitely switch projects :D

Yes it does, but the current framework is optimized for Nvidia cards. You should test a multicore cpu setup vs. the gpu to see which one is faster before committing.

• 2 months later...

added my client to the team, how many people still take part in this project. I remember it being a hot topic a few years back but you rarely hear people talk about it now. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been looking around the net and other folding teams. I'm kind of surprised about how small the Neowin.net team is! Yet produces quite a bit.

I've asked before about promotions but now I have ideas.

1) static signature for neowin folders, URL linked to this topic with information.

2) folding contest. A lot of sites seem to do this semi-annually to annually. Maybe give away something nice to one random active Neowin.net folder of >500pts.

Thoughts?

Edit: also, two cents, this shouldn't be in Sony Console anymore. It can be done on Linux/Mac/Win too.

• 1 month later...