Large Hadron Collider pics

It might possibly create MICRO black holes; but there's nothing new about that. They'd only exist for a few microseconds at most before evaporating.

IF Hawking's radiation is true.

If the theory is wrong... Well :)

we're bombarded by cosmic radiation at higher energies than this every day, only difference is we're controlling the environment in which they collide.

And now, may I present the LHC hip-hop video

.... Hopefully those guys will be the first to become headcrab zombies... ... rapping headcrab zombie people.. :shifty:

H'okay, they're trying to re-create a mini-big bang, somehow my nervous level has increased from a 2 to a OMGWTF20WTFOMG... Hopefully this doesn't blow up on us.

Maybe Titor was real after all!

Titor is bull****, this thing is bound to create a mini-black hole or two sooner or later, just by the way it operates..

Seriously, ok, so he got 3/5 things right, and had a near miss with the other thing, but seriously, going back in time so you can inform the interwebs that you've gone back in time, and present complete schematics of your time machine, which you somehow rigged into a car? .. total bull****.

Just looking at these Photo's today, this is just beyond a brilliant piece of Engineering. When it does run, what are they going to be doing to know the results etc? Will they be filming and posting up results on the Internet?

Imagine even trying to start designing that! :blink:

So, no one actually KNOWS what will happen, so we are sort of doing a Mythbusters style "well if we can hit it together this fast, lets hit it together faster!"

That pretty much sums it up.

So, no one actually KNOWS what will happen, so we are sort of doing a Mythbusters style "well if we can hit it together this fast, lets hit it together faster!"

The don't know what the exact results of the experiments will be, this is true. But they can and have calculated that operating the LHC will be totally safe.

It's a parallel situation to the testing of the first nuke really. There's an urban myth around that they weren't sure that it wouldn't set the Earth's atmosphere on fire, but that was NEVER believed by the scientists involved; just the uneducated lay people. They calculated precisely what would happen, and they were right. It's no different to the LHC, really.

It must be fatigue or something, but reading fast I saw : Large Hardon Collision.... :whistle:

Oh well... vivid imagination here.

Same here..lol.

This thread has made my stomach ache I laughed so hard at some of the replies.

Looks amazing, structurally speaking, and no doubt it will provide some great finds.

I think deep down everybodies hoping that something will go wrong. Must just be a human thing.

So, we are still alive.

Amazingly, what the scientists said would happen, happened! and what the general public said would happen, didn't!

:p

This is just test runs, they don't start smashing stuff together for a while.

I'd love to take a huge sledgehammer and just break everything in there.

So, what, you would rather be back in the caveman days than advance?

So, what, you would rather be back in the caveman days than advance?

i don't think he was serious. he just meant it would be fun to smash it up.