[WC2010] Game 05 - England vs. United States

Who do you think will win?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win?

• England
    • United States
    • Draw

I know its premature, and that the thread for game four hasn't been created. But I wanted to do it! The hype here in America is ridiculous, all media outlets are touting this as a HUGE game. Yes, us Americans are quite excited but I think part of the hype is them just wanting to increase interest in soccer - which I am all for. What about you fellas across the pond? Is it as big a deal to England and its supporters? Is the media going crazy or is it just another game to you guys? Some commercials here are even trying to include our Independence and using history to further hype the game.

A car commercial, cannot remember which company even had a scene of British soldiers combating the companies vehicles and retreating; then the spokesperson says something to the effect of: America knows how to do two things right: cars and independence.

I think it is a bit much, but hey, whatever! Mainly curious if it as big a deal over there as people are making it out to be here in the US. Look forward to discussing the game with you all, go USA!

Note: Argote, buddy, I'll leave it to you to continue creating game 4 and 6+ threads. Just wanted to create the thread for the first USA game :) hope ya don't mind - doing a great job.

speaking of cars, you will see tons of english flags if you can see any traffic here... people have been flying flags on their cars like crazy, one in every dozen or so cars has at least one flag attached

and yeah, football is definitely more than 'just another game to you guys' over here

and yeah, football is definitely more than 'just another game to you guys' over here

Well I didn't mean the sport, I meant the USA v England game specifically.

Where I am in the UK it's not being massively hyped, it's just sort of like meh, another game.

There is a few flags on cars scattered around but nothing to the scale of what there was a few world cups ago when there was one on easily every car and flags drooped out of windows everywhere.

But I dare say if we start doing well there will be more.

The only hype there's been for me is in the office, as I work with an American. So the team has a lot of banter with him :D

Well I didn't mean the sport, I meant the USA v England game specifically.

thing is, when you are in a country and that country's team is playing, you can expect that every single television set showing the world cup is going to be showing that match... i'd expect that the only people watching the other games going on at that time would be bookies and their bets

Went out and bought another USA International T-shirt! A few friends of mine and I will be heading to a sports bar an hour or so before gametime! SO thrilled!

The Yanks are coming!

Thanks for creating the thread, please add a poll like the other threads have.

I think this will be a very interesting match the US will give England a hard time but I think England will prevail.

It will be a shame I will miss the first half due to family stuff at the beach. I know, a shame I'll miss it due to the beach, must be horrible to HAVE to go to the water :p

Let's see USA go play some football!

I'm excited about this game, I always cheer for England, they are my favourite soccer nation as Canada is laughable at the sport.

I will go ahead and say that the US will win.

Why? Easy:

First the US players will arrive at the field with buckets of oil.

When the UK players enter the field, the US players will cover them with oil.

Then the US players will set the UK players in fire.

And then the US goalkeeper will yell: "**** you and **** BP!"

And thus the US will win because the UK won't have players to play.

I will go ahead and say that the US will win.

Why? Easy:

First the US players will arrive at the field with buckets of oil.

When the UK players enter the field, the US players will cover them with oil.

Then the US players will set the UK players in fire.

And then the US goalkeeper will yell: "**** you and **** BP!"

And thus the US will win because the UK won't have players to play.

US players won't have any oil to do this with! BP spilt it all ;)

OMG lol USA to win? It will be a draw or win for England, despite the altitude problems I think England will go quite far this WC.

I voted win for England btw ;)

It'll be England, they're a far superior team. I say something like 2-1.

Meh, everyone is saying the USA are going to thrash England.. but I will be recording and watching it and then posting on this thread in anger if England loses xD

There's a bit of a buzz this morning, I'm currently working in Preston city centre and every other person or so has an England shirt of some description on. It normally takes a game or 2 for the hype to build.

Personally, I can't wait. Rooney to run amok. I'll go 3-1

Meh, everyone is saying the USA are going to thrash England.. but I will be recording and watching it and then posting on this thread in anger if England loses xD

Those people are just full of it.

My Pick, US will win 2-1 or 1-0 but it won't be a high scoring game as people makes it out to be.

The US squad has potential, I voted England but I want USA to win. Rooney will be tough to defend, it will definitely be an interesting game.