b4hwu8.png

Formats: DS, Wii, PlayStation 3, PC, Xbox 360

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Activision

Developer: Treyarch

RRP: £54.99/$59.99

Game Information

Plot

Call of Duty: Black Ops takes place during the Cold War. The player mainly controls two characters: Alex Mason and Jason Hudson who are Studies and Observations Group operatives on missions behind enemy lines, in locations such as the Ural Mountains, Laos, Cuba, and Vietnam.

One of the characters from the Soviet campaign of World at War, Reznov (voiced by Gary Oldman), is returning. Ed Harris will play CIA agent Jason Hudson.

Wikipedia

Multiplayer

The online multiplayer mode of Black Ops retains the experience points and unlockable reward system that has been kept since Call of Duty 4. The game's multiplayer focuses on socialization and customization. "Create-a-Class 2.0" will allow enhanced personalization with appearance items as well as upgradable perks: weapons will be extensively customizable with clan tag writing, emblems, attachments and camouflage painting. Even reticles can be modified. There will be more than one style for an attachment, which allows for a lot more personalized weaponry; for example, the player can choose between a Red Dot Sight or a Reflex Sight, both of which share the same traits only visually look different. Character models will depend on the first tier perk instead of the weapon's type. Furthermore, face paints can be unlocked.

A currency system has been implemented allowing players to buy weapons, accessories and clothes. Players can gamble with their "COD Points" in a free-for-all based playlist called "Wager Match", which is composed of four game modes. Time limited objectives known as "Contracts" can be purchased to gain more currency and experience points. New custom killstreak rewards include RC explosive cars, guided missiles and controllable attack helicopters. For the first time in the series, clips from online gameplay can be recorded. Players will be able to play alone or with friends against AI opponents in "Combat Training" with a separate progression system.

Some PC specific features that were taken away from Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2 will return, such as lean, mod tools, the developer console and dedicated servers. Dedicated servers will be exclusively provided by Game Servers. Steam will be the exclusive platform for Black Ops on PC, so the game will be protected by Valve Anti-Cheat.

The zombie mode of World at War will return as a four-player online and two-player split screen co-op mode. Limited editions of the game will offer four zombies maps from World at War.

The Wii version of the game will include in-game voice chat. This is the first Call of Duty title to include the voice chat feature for the Wii. Nintendo and PDP have partnered to release the first headset to be used with the Wii known as PDP's Headbanger Headset.

Wikipedia

Retail Versions

Like Modern Warfare 2, "Hardened" and "Prestige" limited editions will be available: the Hardened Edition will include a SteelBook case, a medal with its display case, four exclusive co-op levels and an Xbox Live or PlayStation Home avatar outfit. The Prestige Edition will offer, in addition to the Hardened Edition's content, a real RC-XD remote-control vehicle modeled after the in-game killstreak reward, which gives video and audio feedback to its controller.

Wikipedia

CODBO_360PS3_PE_RC_sml.jpg

A picture of the RC car offered in the Prestige edition

Call of Duty is the exact same thing ever since the first Modern Warfare. I yawn when I hear about COD.

Well, it sort of isn't - First Modern Warfare was brilliant, what they did was take that recipe and just add a ton of perks and killstreaks on top which completely ruined the gameplay

and just turned it into an annoying ragefest that is about getting X-killstreak award instead of actual player combat. Had they remade the first Modern Warfare or kept the standards for

amount of killstreaks and perks I would be all over every game in the series.

That is also the problem with MW2, I like the core of the game as that remain unchanged basically but it's the added stuff that is ruining the game.

Eh, I doubt I'll pick this up. I rarely touch MW2 now, I'll start it up, then go "meh" and close it and go to TF2 instead.

i refuse to give Activision anymore of my money after that MW2 travesty and the Massive FLOOD of guitar hero games last year, what were they smoking?

I may pick this up at some point but ill be getting the new Medal of Honor ahead of it.

Yeah, I'm doing the same. Considering there was talk about it being the game that Modern Warfare 2 should have been, I'm going to go with MoH before I try CoD again. The only thing that might make me consider CoD is if the storyline continues with Price, but seeing as it's Treyarch doing the developing I don't think that's happening (although I haven't read up on this in a while, so for all I know the storyline has been confirmed).

Hah... hardcore for me is nothing on the screen. That's why I only play BF: Bad Company 2 multi.

If you prefer nothing on the screen, than you won't find that in BC2.

I'll be getting this. Story sounds pretty interesting, and I am eager to see what they do with MP.

I just wonder how many people who say they aren't getting another COD will get this.

I just wonder how many people who say they aren't getting another COD will get this.

I said I won't, and I won't. COD 4 was fun, rented COD 5 & 6, but I don't think I'll even touch Black Ops. The game always feels the same, with a different setting, that's all. If I never played COD before, I'd be all over Black Ops though :D

The only thing I love about this game is the theme because I love these kind of games and the bonus about this game is the graphics quality and the sound effects. Actually I have played this game in my X-Box with the Home theater system. So it is the rocking experience for me.