b4hwu8.png

Formats: DS, Wii, PlayStation 3, PC, Xbox 360

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Activision

Developer: Treyarch

RRP: £54.99/$59.99

Game Information

Plot

Call of Duty: Black Ops takes place during the Cold War. The player mainly controls two characters: Alex Mason and Jason Hudson who are Studies and Observations Group operatives on missions behind enemy lines, in locations such as the Ural Mountains, Laos, Cuba, and Vietnam.

One of the characters from the Soviet campaign of World at War, Reznov (voiced by Gary Oldman), is returning. Ed Harris will play CIA agent Jason Hudson.

Wikipedia

Multiplayer

The online multiplayer mode of Black Ops retains the experience points and unlockable reward system that has been kept since Call of Duty 4. The game's multiplayer focuses on socialization and customization. "Create-a-Class 2.0" will allow enhanced personalization with appearance items as well as upgradable perks: weapons will be extensively customizable with clan tag writing, emblems, attachments and camouflage painting. Even reticles can be modified. There will be more than one style for an attachment, which allows for a lot more personalized weaponry; for example, the player can choose between a Red Dot Sight or a Reflex Sight, both of which share the same traits only visually look different. Character models will depend on the first tier perk instead of the weapon's type. Furthermore, face paints can be unlocked.

A currency system has been implemented allowing players to buy weapons, accessories and clothes. Players can gamble with their "COD Points" in a free-for-all based playlist called "Wager Match", which is composed of four game modes. Time limited objectives known as "Contracts" can be purchased to gain more currency and experience points. New custom killstreak rewards include RC explosive cars, guided missiles and controllable attack helicopters. For the first time in the series, clips from online gameplay can be recorded. Players will be able to play alone or with friends against AI opponents in "Combat Training" with a separate progression system.

Some PC specific features that were taken away from Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2 will return, such as lean, mod tools, the developer console and dedicated servers. Dedicated servers will be exclusively provided by Game Servers. Steam will be the exclusive platform for Black Ops on PC, so the game will be protected by Valve Anti-Cheat.

The zombie mode of World at War will return as a four-player online and two-player split screen co-op mode. Limited editions of the game will offer four zombies maps from World at War.

The Wii version of the game will include in-game voice chat. This is the first Call of Duty title to include the voice chat feature for the Wii. Nintendo and PDP have partnered to release the first headset to be used with the Wii known as PDP's Headbanger Headset.

Wikipedia

Retail Versions

Like Modern Warfare 2, "Hardened" and "Prestige" limited editions will be available: the Hardened Edition will include a SteelBook case, a medal with its display case, four exclusive co-op levels and an Xbox Live or PlayStation Home avatar outfit. The Prestige Edition will offer, in addition to the Hardened Edition's content, a real RC-XD remote-control vehicle modeled after the in-game killstreak reward, which gives video and audio feedback to its controller.

Wikipedia

CODBO_360PS3_PE_RC_sml.jpg

A picture of the RC car offered in the Prestige edition

InterceptorX

Lets hope they don't **** it up.

Hedon

Awesome! Every COD has been awesome, and this one looks to carry on the tradition.

ViperAFK

I am never buying another COD game.

ObiWanToby

I am never buying another COD game.

Me either.

Fusion101

I may pick this up at some point but ill be getting the new Medal of Honor ahead of it.

acnpt

I'll be buying it, found Waw MP very enjoyable.

NoLiMiT06

Guess you guys will miss out, to bad. :) Can't wait for this one :p

andrewbares

Call of Duty is the exact same thing ever since the first Modern Warfare. I yawn when I hear about COD.

xendrome

Wait what... a Call of Duty game is popular.... I never.....

Sethos

Call of Duty is the exact same thing ever since the first Modern Warfare. I yawn when I hear about COD.

Well, it sort of isn't - First Modern Warfare was brilliant, what they did was take that recipe and just add a ton of perks and killstreaks on top which completely ruined the gameplay

and just turned it into an annoying ragefest that is about getting X-killstreak award instead of actual player combat. Had they remade the first Modern Warfare or kept the standards for

amount of killstreaks and perks I would be all over every game in the series.

That is also the problem with MW2, I like the core of the game as that remain unchanged basically but it's the added stuff that is ruining the game.

Chasethebase

Eh, I doubt I'll pick this up. I rarely touch MW2 now, I'll start it up, then go "meh" and close it and go to TF2 instead.

Motoko.

Treyarch will do a fine job of this release.

Aaron Olive

i refuse to give Activision anymore of my money after that MW2 travesty and the Massive FLOOD of guitar hero games last year, what were they smoking?

Nick H.

I may pick this up at some point but ill be getting the new Medal of Honor ahead of it.

Yeah, I'm doing the same. Considering there was talk about it being the game that Modern Warfare 2 should have been, I'm going to go with MoH before I try CoD again. The only thing that might make me consider CoD is if the storyline continues with Price, but seeing as it's Treyarch doing the developing I don't think that's happening (although I haven't read up on this in a while, so for all I know the storyline has been confirmed).

x-byte

Will get it for the singelplayer only. The multi is a mess of unnecessary crap on the screen. And then we got the cheaters.

Sethos

Will get it for the singelplayer only. The multi is a mess of unnecessary crap on the screen. And then we got the cheaters.

It's called Hardcore mode

x-byte

Hah... hardcore for me is nothing on the screen. That's why I only play BF: Bad Company 2 multi.

Hedon

Hah... hardcore for me is nothing on the screen. That's why I only play BF: Bad Company 2 multi.

If you prefer nothing on the screen, than you won't find that in BC2.

Lamp0

I'll be getting this. Story sounds pretty interesting, and I am eager to see what they do with MP.

I just wonder how many people who say they aren't getting another COD will get this.

andrewbares
I just wonder how many people who say they aren't getting another COD will get this.

I said I won't, and I won't. COD 4 was fun, rented COD 5 & 6, but I don't think I'll even touch Black Ops. The game always feels the same, with a different setting, that's all. If I never played COD before, I'd be all over Black Ops though :D

rajputwarrior

don't worry the majority will

Razorwing

I dunno.. MW2 story was epic.. but Multiplayer is just frustrating.. decisions..

Motoko.

I dunno.. MW2 story was epic.. but Multiplayer is just frustrating.. decisions..

Rent.

JamesKKcameron

The only thing I love about this game is the theme because I love these kind of games and the bonus about this game is the graphics quality and the sound effects. Actually I have played this game in my X-Box with the Home theater system. So it is the rocking experience for me.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Namerah S
      Team Ninja details features of Nioh 2 Complete Edition for PC
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

Team Ninja launched the action RPG Nioh sequel titled Nioh 2 for the last-gen PlayStation 4 console last year. Two months ago, the video game developer revealed that Nioh 2 would be leaving PlayStation exclusivity by announcing Nioh 2 Complete Edition. The PC version is set to arrive early next month.

Today the game's makers revealed more information about the upcoming PC game on Twitter. Publisher Koei Tecmo shared further details about the features of the upcoming Nioh 2 Complete Edition. A new game trailer highlighting the PC features has also been released.

As per today's announcements, Nioh 2 on PC will support 4K Ultra HD, ultra-wide screens, HDR and a 144Hz screen refresh rate. The game's makers have added complete customizability for mice and keyboards and the game is touted to run at 60fps or 120fps consistently, depending on whether the PC specs are compatible of course.

Nioh 2 Complete Edition for the PC platform is due out February 5, 2021, exclusively on Steam. Pre-orders are currently open and can be placed on Valve's dedicated game store. As a launch promotion, those who buy the Nioh sequel within the initial three weeks after the PC release will get two bonus in-game items, the Sohaya Deserter Garb and Ornate Gold Armour.

• By Copernic
      Universal Media Server 10.0.0
      by Razvan Serea

Universal Media Server is a DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server. UMS was started by SubJunk, an official developer of PMS, in order to ensure greater stability and file-compatibility. The program streams or transcodes many different media formats with little or no configuration. It is powered by MEncoder, FFmpeg, tsMuxeR, AviSynth, MediaInfo and more, which combine to offer support for a wide range of media formats. Because it is written in Java, Universal Media Server supports all major operating systems, with versions for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

To see a comparison of popular media servers, click here.

Universal Media Server 10.0.0 - 2021-01-12 - Changes since 10.0.0-a1:

General

Retry media lookups that failed due to transient errors Fixed automatic file watching Renderers

Improved support for Sony Bluray UBP-X800M2 (thanks, thechrisgregory!) Fixed UPnP pushing via Panasonic TVs and Samsung Q9 TVs Translation updates via Crowdin

Czech (100%) Danish (100%) English (United Kingdom) (32%) Finnish (100%) Greek (91%) French (100%) Japanese (99%) Polish (100%) Portuguese (100%) Portuguese (Brazilian) (100%) Romanian (99%) Serbian (99%) Turkish (100%) Dependency updates

Bump spotbugs-maven-plugin from 4.1.4 to 4.2.0 Universal Media Server 10.0.0 - 2021-01-12 - Changes since 9.8.3:

DLNA browsing

When browsing a TV show in the Media Library, all videos across all seasons are visible. There are two new folders within the Movies and TV Shows folders - Filter by Progress and Filter by Information. Filter by Progress contains the Watched and Unwatched folders which used to sit within the Videos folder in the Media Library Filter by Information lets you filter the videos by a new rich metadata set (actors, genres, country, director, genre, IMDb rating, release date). Alongside that is a similar folder Filter by Information which lets you filter the videos by API metadata (actors, genres, etc.) New folders Recently Added, Recently Played, In Progress and Most Played are in the Media Library Web interface

Added breadcrumbs at the top of each page When in the TV Shows area of the Media Library, the TV shows themselves are shown as thumbnails, with covers from the API When browsing a TV show, a movie, or a TV episode, any API metadata is displayed along with a large cover image, including actors, awards, classification, country, directors, genres, plot, ratings, year, and total seasons. On those pages above, the colors on the pages are based on the cover image Clicking on an individual actor, country, director, genre, or start year, takes you to a list of other media that matches that metadata The last few items in the Recently Added, Recently Played, In Progress and Most Played folders are displayed on the front page Each TV show and movie has an IMDb icon and direct link if one is found Folder and media covers are shown Fixed bugs with the Back button Version has moved to the settings menu Minor design updates General

API is enabled even without filename prettifying Failed API lookups are debounced by 1 week to avoid network spam Changed prettified season/episode number formatting from Series - 101 - Episode to Series S01E01 - Episode Fixed some bugs with prettifying to support more files Added support for audio playlist thumbnails (thanks, sf666!) Playlist folders are correctly identified via UPnP (thanks, sf666!) Fixed automatic file watching Renderers

Improved support for Sony Bluray UBP-X800M2 (thanks, thechrisgregory!) Fixed UPnP pushing via Panasonic TVs and Samsung Q9 TVs Translation updates via Crowdin

Czech (100%) Danish (100%) English (United Kingdom) (32%) Finnish (100%) Greek (91%) French (100%) Japanese (99%) Polish (100%) Portuguese (100%) Portuguese (Brazilian) (100%) Romanian (99%) Serbian (99%) Turkish (100%) Dependency updates

Bump jQuery from 1.12.0 to 3.5.1 Bump spotbugs-maven-plugin from 4.1.4 to 4.2.0 Bump video.js from 7.2.3 to 7.10.1 Download: Universal Media Server 10.0 | 160.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Other operating systems
      View: Universal Media Server Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By zikalify
      Canalys: Global PC market saw 25% YoY growth in 4Q20
      by Paul Hill

The analyst firm Canalys has reported that the global PC market saw 25% year-over-year growth in the fourth quarter of 2020. The firm classifies the PC market as desktops, notebooks (including Chromebooks) and workstations but excludes tablets which are sometimes used by some in place of a full-blown PC. Total PC shipments in 2020 grew by 11% reaching 297 million units.

The full-year growth in the PC market is the highest that’s been seen since 2020 and the number of units shipped is the highest seen since 2014. The growth in 2020 was driven by laptops and mobile workstations; they saw a growth rate of 44% compared to 2019. Desktops, on the other hand, were less successful with shipments falling 20% compared to 2019; there were 61.9 million shipments in this segment of the market in 2020.

In the fourth quarter, the biggest PC vendor was Lenovo which shipped 23.1 million units, in second place was HP which shipped 19.1 million units. Dell came in third place shipping more than 15 million units for the first time ever, Apple was in fourth place shipping 7.1 million units and Acer came fifth with 6.1 million units shipped. Other companies shipped a combined 18.9 million units in the fourth quarter.

According to Canalys Research Director Rushabh Doshi, PCs have been at the centre of the digital transformation that the world has gone through in the past year due to the coronavirus pandemic. Doshi said that going forward it’s going to be “extremely difficult” to write off PCs and that it’s likely that they’re here to stay.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Here are the 100 bestselling Steam games of 2020
      by Usama Jawad

Towards the end of each year, Valve traditionally reveals the bestselling Steam games of the past 12 months. Although the company does not disclose exact sales figures or dollar values, it divides games into categories such as Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze. Now, the company has unveiled the list of 100 top-selling games on its platform for 2020.

The 100 bestsellers for 2020 have been measured in terms of gross revenue. 12 games fall in the Platinum category, 12 in Gold, 15 in Silver, and 59 in Bronze. These are as follows:

Platinum

DOOM Eternal Cyberpunk 2077 DOTA 2 Destiny 2 Monster Hunter: World Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Among Us Red Dead Redemption 2 Grand Theft Auto V PUBG Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout Gold

Borderlands 3 The Elder Scrolls Online Phasmophobia Dead by Daylight ARK: Survival Evolved Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Halo: The Master Chief Collection Warframe Crusader Kings III Baldur's Gate Sea of Thieves Sid Meier's Civilization VI Silver

Rust Stellaris Final Fantasy XIV Online War Thunder Raft Total War: Warhammer II The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Microsoft Flight Simulator Assassin's Creed: Odyssey Hades Cities: Skylines Path of Exile Planet Zoo Euro Truck Simulator 2 Team Fortress 2 Bronze

Don't Starve Together Terraria DayZ Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Star Wars: Squadrons FIFA 21 Death Stranding Arma 3 The Sims 4 No Man's Sky GTFO Ori and the Will of the Wisps The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Smite Half-Life: Alyx Command & Conquer Remastered Collection Apex Legends Hunt: Showdown American Truck Simulator NBA 2K21 Resident Evil 3 Wallpaper Engine Football Manager 2021 Tabletop Simulator Temtem RimWorld Stardew Valley Deep Rock Galactic Metro: Exodus Human: Fall Flat Risk of Rain 2 Pummel Party Fallout 4 NBA 2K20 Remnant: From the Ashes Farming Simulator 19 Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition Fallout 76 Call of Duty: Black Ops III Grounded Europa Universalis IV Dying Light Far Cry 5 Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links Satisfactory Persona 4 Golden Lords Mobile theHunter: Call of the Wild Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order World of Warships Conan Exiles Hearts of Iron IV Horizon Zero Dawn The Forest Dark Souls III Marvel's Avengers Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition Total War: Three Kingdoms Valve has also highlighted other titles in its "Best of 2020" categories such as "New Releases", "Most Played", "Early Access Grads", "Best of VR", and "Controller Games". Be sure to check them out here.

• By Abhay V
      PC Build Guide: Ultra-budget PC for around $375
      by Abhay Venkatesh

The holiday period brings with it a few deals on computer components and the leisure to enjoy building a PC for those who like to assemble a rig manually. In this series, we are helping you do just that. After putting together our guides for a budget gaming PC for around $1,000 and a budget productivity machine for around $550, here are our recommendations for an ultra-budget machine for around $375.

We’ve put together a guide to help you choose the components for an ultra-budget PC that can be used for casual web browsing and light productivity – something that can replace your parents’ aging computer or serve to be a new year gift. It must be noted, however, that discounts change constantly, and components could run out of stock at any time. Additionally, the guide lists the components for the PC alone and does not include peripherals such as a keyboard, mouse, or monitor.

For this build, we’re going with Intel's current-gen components owing to the current availability – especially with AMD’s offerings being sold out in many e-commerce stores – and some deals around that help further reduce overall costs. Here are our recommendations:

Motherboard: MSI B460M-A PRO mATX
      The MSI B460M-A PRO motherboard packs a decent selection of features and quality for its $75 price, including one M.2 slot for the addition of an NVMe M.2 SSD, decent I/O, 2.5G LAN, and more. Though the board features just two DIMM slots, it is adequate for the use case and any further upgrades.

What’s more? The LGA 1200 socket will be compatible with 11th-gen Rocket Lake-S chips, meaning any plans to slightly beef up the build sometime in the future will not require a change in the board.

You can find the MSI B460M-A PRO mATX motherboard on Amazon here for $74.99.

Processor: Intel Core i3-10100
      Most of the 10th-gen offerings from Intel feature hyperthreading, including in the i3 lineup, making it a potent chip for casual web browsing, entertainment consumption, and even light productivity – especially at a budget. The quad-core, eight-thread CPU comes with a 65W TDP, boost clocks of up to 4.3Ghz, and Intel UHD Graphics 630 for integrated graphics capabilities. This current-gen offering is easier to find online in comparison to AMD’s current-gen budget processors.

You can find the 10th-gen Comet Lake Intel Core i3-10100 on Amazon here for $114.25.

Memory: Crucial RAM 8GB Kit (2x4GB) DDR4 2666MHz
      Modern OSes like Windows 10 work best with a minimum of 8GB of RAM and are especially handy when running multiple browser tabs that easily gobble up resources. The two 4GB sticks allow for the benefits of dual-channel memory and slightly better overall performance.

You can find the Crucial RAM 8GB Kit (2x4GB) DDR4 2666MHz on Amazon here for $36.99.

Storage: Western Digital 500GB WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 SSD
      With the price difference between SATA and NVMe M.2 SSDs down to a few dollars, the latter is the best choice for any PC builds. The WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 SSD offers impressive read and write speeds of up to 2,600 MBps, making it a much better pick.

You can find the Western Digital 500GB WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 SSD on Amazon here for $50.99.

Alternatively, if you wish to further cut down the costs by opting for a more affordable, traditional HDD, you can check out the 1TB WD Blue hard disk on Amazon here for $39.99.

Power Supply: Corsair CV450 (450W)
      The Corsair CV450 can provide more than enough juice for the internals in our PC build and future proofs the rig for any additions down the line. The 80+ Bronze certification also makes it a quality offering and it also comes with black sleeves around the wiring for better aesthetics.

You can find the Corsair CV450 power supply on Amazon here for $49.99.

Alternatively, if you wish to keep the compact mATX build clean and want to avoid cluttering the PC case with unwanted wires, you can opt for the Corsair CX450M semi-modular offering on Amazon here for $69.99. While undoubtedly more expensive than the CV450, this option could prove to be aesthetically better for our PC case pick.

PC Cabinet: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L Micro-ATX Tower
      While a simplistic, barebones build might not require a flashy PC case, the Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L offers a good quality option in a compact form-factor which also happens to look pleasing. The cabinet offers adequate airflow for our basic system, magnetic dust covers, an acrylic side panel, modular I/O panel, and mounting points for more fans if required. The cabinet can also house our ATX power supply without any problems.

You can find the Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L Micro-ATX Tower on Amazon here for $44.99.

And that should do it for the components needed to build a basic, ultra-budget PC for around $375.

Total cost: $372.20

Honorable mention:
      Lastly, though this is not included in the recommendation list for the $375 ultra-budget PC, those looking for a budget monitor for casual use can consider BenQ’s 24-inch 1080p IPS monitor that is being discounted to $119.99 on Amazon. For that price, the monitor offers a design with slim bezels on three sides, dual in-built speakers, HDMI and DisplayPort connectivity options, automatic brightness adjustment, nifty cable management, and more.

As an Amazon Associate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.