Apple Safari to be released for the Windows Platform!

It was just announced by Steve Jobs himself at his Keynote!

11:15AM - It's loading a ton of sites: 6.64 vs 13.56s Safari to IE. "But how are we going to distribute this? We don't really talk to these customers, do we? What are we gonna do? Well, it turns out there are 1m downloads of iTunes a day. Turns out there's been over half a billion downloads of iTunes to Windows... so there are three versions of Safari, one that runs on OS X, one that runs on XP, and one that runs on Vista... and we're releasing it today as a public beta to you. It's a free beta, apple.com/safari and who knows, maybe we can grow our Safari share in the future, we can sure try."

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/11/steve-j...from-wwdc-2007/

It looks like I finally found something that might get me to switch FROM Firefox.

Discuss!

I'm curious, how many mac users actually use Safari over Firefox? I was under the impression that it was sort of the IE of OS X where no one who knew better really used it.

I'll give it a try, sure, but I don't hold out much hope. With how iTunes runs on Windows, I have no faith that Apple developers have suddenly learned how to develop Windows apps overnight.

I don't think most Mac users use Firefox. Firefox is very clunky on the Mac. I personally use Camino. Depending on how quick Safari is on the PC, I may use it.

I'm curious, how many mac users actually use Safari over Firefox? I was under the impression that it was sort of the IE of OS X where no one who knew better really used it.

Uh, not so much. Firefox is pretty crappy on OS X. Safari is the best IMO (with Camino and OmniWeb close behind).

Sorry, yeah, I meant Camino, not Firefox. I'm just too used to saying it. But How many people use Safari over Camino? I know in my short experience with OS X I very much disliked Safari over Camino.

When you think about it though, Safari has a lot going for it. I think a lot of people may switch to Safari from Firefox based on pure speed and simplicity alone, while the people who stay loyal to Firefox are going to be the zealots, and the people who can't live without Mozilla Add-Ons.

If Apple can give me something like AdBlock Plus for Safari and give me a quicker, richer, more standards compliant web experience then Firefox 2, I'm switching. That won't happen soon, but you better believe the Firefox developers are switching gears right now because this new announcement may cut into their market share, forcing them to push Firefox 3 out the door sooner.

Wow, hehe...

But if it's like QuickTime or iTunes in performance and resource hogging Windows ports, I think I'll stick to Opera or at worst Firefox.

But still, interesting... Time for another Windows browser roundup as a comparative review, maybe.

It's fast, font rendering is a bit iffy though.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en) AppleWebKit/522.11.3 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Safari/522.11.3