Apple Safari to be released for the Windows Platform!

PLUS, like iTunes it doesn't support minimize animations in Vista...how do you go about making an app this borked. I guess that's why they call it BETA

Well if iTunes has similar issues and it isn't called a beta that doesn't inspire much confidence in Safari.

I really quite like Safari for Windows, it's very quick and the aqua buttons and such are very nice.

Though some sites seem to show alot of text in caps, such as google.com, and There doesn't seem to be a "new tab " button. or you can't double click the tab bar to start a new tab.

But I like it.

yeah I am gonna go back to using IE7 after this POS...

541172537_cb7f7d37f3_o.png

and it isnt faster at all for me.

Edit: should say that I am on vista x86

I can't even get this POS to launch on XP Pro SP2. With the kind of problems people are having, this looks more like it should have been an internal pre-alpha build, not a public beta. Apple should pull the download and then release another build when it's actually ready to be called a beta.

Exist 2 bugs in the Safari Beta version!

Here the screenshots!

vug19xx8.th.jpg

Yea maybe next time you could point them out instead of having people search like morons....

Exist 2 bugs in the Safari Beta version!

Here the screenshots!

vug19xx8.th.jpg

Uhhhh... what's wrong, and Windows or Mac?

So far, this is what I noticed is new

• Widgets respect CSS now
  • Instant find (the one reason I stuck with Firefox)
  • Seems a bit faster to me...

If the load times are actually that spectacular then I'm definitely interested. Certainly from a web testing standpoint this is good. And hey, I like Safari as a browser. If it could function with mouse gestures I'd probably use it. But I'll give it a try on Windows.

The only reason apple raleased the saffari for Windows is because of the iphone. Thet want to get business apps capitable with saffari. They want windows devs to code for the iphone.

I not sure about its claims about speed (making Opera look really bad) but its a really good beta. I will let it grow on me and well it might be my new browser. Very good beta, well for me sorry for people who are having problems but i guess thats why its a beta :)

OUCH Microsoft...just ouch!! This will be a much deserved blow for Microsoft haha and just thinking back to when Jobs and Gates were both on stage talking haha. All this time Steve Jobs was cooking this up :D Mwahahaha evil genius!

The main ones I have found is the new find text and the bookmarks.

What's new with the bookmarks I don't see anything.

Thanks Apple. You didn't have to bring Safari to Windows but you decided to do so. Good job.

First impressions:

1. I really wish you'd use native Windows UI widgets For Vista in particular it would improve the look of Safari a LOT.

2. Noticed lots of small bugs like back/forward buttons on my mouse not working, and windows opening in new windows instead of tabs even after I told Safari not to do that (example: go to google.com, go to advanced prefs, set it to open all links in new windows. in other browsers they always forward those 'new window' clicks to new tabs, but Safari does not obey that)

3. I know a lot of people are already complaining about the speed, but it starts up and responds a lot faster than iTunes for me. Even better than Quicktime. Good job so far, please continue to fine-tune it.

4. passes the acid test!

5. i haven't done any scientific tests but pages DO seem to load pretty fast.

Overall a good start. It's beta afterall. Anyone who doesn't like it or finds bugs, report them using Safari's report feature under its Help menu.

even if you don't plan on using Safari as your regular browser on Windows (I doubt ANYTHING can pry me away from Firefox) we should applaud Apple for this. We finally have a khtml/webkit browser on Windows, excellent news for web developers.

Thanks Apple. You didn't have to bring Safari to Windows but you decided to do so. Good job.

First impressions:

1. I really wish you'd use native Windows UI widgets For Vista in particular it would improve the look of Safari a LOT.

2. Noticed lots of small bugs like back/forward buttons on my mouse not working, and windows opening in new windows instead of tabs even after I told Safari not to do that (example: go to google.com, go to advanced prefs, set it to open all links in new windows. in other browsers they always forward those 'new window' clicks to new tabs, but Safari does not obey that)

3. I know a lot of people are already complaining about the speed, but it starts up and responds a lot faster than iTunes for me. Even better than Quicktime. Good job so far, please continue to fine-tune it.

4. passes the acid test!

5. i haven't done any scientific tests but pages DO seem to load pretty fast.

Overall a good start. It's beta afterall. Anyone who doesn't like it or finds bugs, report them using Safari's report feature under its Help menu.

even if you don't plan on using Safari as your regular browser on Windows (I doubt ANYTHING can pry me away from Firefox) we should applaud Apple for this. We finally have a khtml/webkit browser on Windows, excellent news for web developers.

Exactly. The only other WebKit based browser for Windows was Swift, and that didn't seem to be hitting prime time anytime soon. I'm really impressed that Apple decided to do this. I may not end up using it as my main browser, but even if I don't it's an excellent tool for testing the websites I design and develop.

The only reason apple raleased the saffari for Windows is because of the iphone. Thet want to get business apps capitable with saffari. They want windows devs to code for the iphone.

You might want to get a spelling checker plugin.

I used Safari 3 for both Mac and Windows and honestly the Mac version doesn't introduce much more but it is a welcome update. I have been using the updated webkit for a while.

from web designer perpective..they have 2 options..

1. Check with IE6 & IE7 first

2. Check with Firefox & other browsers (which include opera, netscape & safari)

And for sure, firefox users WONT go for this!

And same way, Mac fan users will go for Safari (& always start the same fan blame game comparing IE7 with safari & firefox with safari).

I thought Steve jobs is going to show us a really good stuff..but i am really not tat much WOW with this announcement!. (again the same 2times faster, 3 times slower comparison wont fit )

may be within months it will gain upto 5% at max the share of both ie7 & ff..but wont go above it!!

And now Apple.com home page look ugly!! everywhere the black :blink:

I used this with no problems for about an hour, browsing several sites. But then it started crashing on different sites. I'm trying to do bug reports on them.

It doesn't seem to remember window sizes either.

Hopefully lots of these bugs will be worked out on the next release. I'd like to see this turn out to be another good browser option for Windows.

The speed is lacking for me, and the fonts seem to have a blur to them no matter what font/smoothness setting.