Building the Windows 8 UI

Please remember that this will be a UI on top of the Aero UI so desktops can just keep the Aero UI like in windows 7 when wanted ^^

This is just like the origami thing microsoft had before but way more integrated and better :D

Please remember that this will be a UI on top of the Aero UI so desktops can just keep the Aero UI like in windows 7 when wanted ^^

This is just like the origami thing microsoft had before but way more integrated and better :D

Only thing is the touch UI doesn't run on top of Aero, it runs alongside it. Thereby it can't we switched off or anything, it's apart of explorer.

Only thing is the touch UI doesn't run on top of Aero, it runs alongside it. Thereby it can't we switched off or anything, it's apart of explorer.

yeah but even explorer was a running program so I think it would be possible to do it even with some hacks when needed(I would somewhat bet on it)

Looks like it's been designed for Tablet first, then PC.

Which might lead the push to what we define as a PC. The PC of the future may very well be a tablet.

This does look promising, especially if it's implemented as a 'virtual desktop'-esque mode, so they are both part of the explorer, not one on top of the other. Would love to see how the Aero evolves, as it imho has to match the Metro part in the 'split-mode'.

This will perform best on tablets. Larger screens not so much. But really impressive. Reminds me of the Origami Experience they had with Ultra-Mobile PCs. (Search for 'Origami Experience' in Google Images). Although this looks like an improvement in all respects compared to Origami Experience, especially with ARM architecture powering it now. In a way, Microsoft were not only the first to produce tablets, they also were the first to produce an iPad-like device but gave it the boring name of "Ultra Mobile PC".

Only concern is this will now create three app ecosystems- PC Traditional, Tablet and Phone. In the future maybe with WP8, they will merge Tablet and Phone ecosystems as rumors say.

Silverlight apps written in C++, C# or VB.NET are going to be supported, it's safe to say all devs will be happy about that.

I hope so. Where did you hear that? I can't find information on that anywhere. I understand Windows Phone apps are written in Silverlight and this new platform is very much like Windows Phone, but as far as I've heard, the new Windows 8 apps will only be written in their new Windows development platform based on HTML5 and JavaScript.

Looks like it's been designed for Tablet first, then PC.

I disagree. You're saying that just because it could well be passed off as just a tablet interface, and that is the beauty of it. This new user interface looks and works perfectly as a desktop interface or a tablet interface. It's very similar to the 'Quickplay' screen in the Zune software, and that was first implemented on a desktop environment. I can't see how anyone could reasonably conclude this looks as though it was designed with tablets in mind only, then adapted for desktop/laptop environments. It just simply works very well on all of those formfactors; it's just the way it's ended up.

From what I gather this is basically an application with a full desktop operating system supporting it in the background? With all these GUI layers stacked onto each other I have extreme doubts how this will run on lower-end hardware. I can't even begin to imagine that this will provide a smooth experience when running on a tablet the size of an iPad, simply because you can't really cram enough processing power in there. From what I've seen that's the #1 problem with running Windows 7 on an iPad-sized tablet: Poor performance. It doesn't look like Microsoft addressed that issue with Windows 8.

From what I gather this is basically an application with a full desktop operating system supporting it in the background? With all these GUI layers stacked onto each other I have extreme doubts how this will run on lower-end hardware. I can't even begin to imagine that this will provide a smooth experience when running on a tablet the size of an iPad, simply because you can't really cram enough processing power in there.

It's not an app, it's fully integrated into the explorer shell. And the demo yesterday at ATD was performed on a tablet with an Atom processor, which shows it will run even on slower devices.

I hope so. Where did you hear that? I can't find information on that anywhere. I understand Windows Phone apps are written in Silverlight and this new platform is very much like Windows Phone, but as far as I've heard, the new Windows 8 apps will only be written in their new Windows development platform based on HTML5 and JavaScript.

The C# and VB.NET support was not only confirmed to one of the many blogs covering this (can't find link as I've visited so many today), also the piano app that they showed during the demo was written in Silverlight. Regarding the C++ support MS haven't said anything publicly... yet but certain devs are being told this behind closed doors.

It's not an app, it's fully integrated into the explorer shell. And the demo yesterday at ATD was performed on a tablet with an Atom processor, which shows it will run even on slower devices.

Okay, despite of that it still has a full desktop operating system supporting it in the background rather than a slimmed down version. I haven't seen many iPad-sized tablets with an Intel Atom processor in it, so I really wonder how something like this will perform on Apple's A5 chip (as an example).

still looks boring. I wonder if you can make it look dark and glossy like how the darkside theme looks on this forum. that metro design would look silly in my dark Victorian style house.... or any house that's not a modern "hip" contemporary apartment...

the windows 7 interface is more agreeable with people then the metro style.... which only appeals to certain people.

the current windows 7 interface is pretty and bright and approachable. this looks too edgy.... is microsoft trying to be like lady gaga or urban outfitters? that does not mesh well with a company that provides professional software. this interface is more in line with a hip startup that develops software for urban teens.

also this design reminds me of some of the "in store" walmart graphics and signage in thier newer remodeled locations.... that blue metro concept UI in another thread is a bad example of it. do you really want to think of wal mart every time you use your computer?

Okay, despite of that it still has a full desktop operating system supporting it in the background rather than a slimmed down version. I haven't seen many iPad-sized tablets with an Intel Atom processor in it, so I really wonder how something like this will perform on Apple's A5 chip (as an example).

They've already shown it running on ARM SoC's like the snapdragon. There's no wondering needed, we've already been shown proof.

still looks boring. I wonder if you can make it look dark and glossy like how the darkside theme looks on this forum. that metro design would look silly in my dark Victorian style house.... or any house that's not a modern "hip" contemporary apartment...

the windows 7 interface is more agreeable with people then the metro style.... which only appeals to certain people.

the current windows 7 interface is pretty and bright and approachable. this looks too edgy.... is microsoft trying to be like lady gaga or urban outfitters? that does not mesh well with a company that provides professional software. this interface is more in line with a hip startup that develops software for urban teens.

also this design reminds me of some of the "in store" walmart graphics and signage in thier newer remodeled locations.... that blue metro concept UI in another thread is a bad example of it. do you really want to think of wal mart every time you use your computer?

Sounds like you're going through a mid life crisis. :p

They've also said that even with this additional UI ontop, it still requires less resources and starts up faster than Windows 7. So it seems they've definitely slimmed, optimised and trimmed off a lot of fat from Windows 7 to get it performing better.

They've also said that even with this additional UI ontop, it still requires less resources and starts up faster than Windows 7. So it seems they've definitely slimmed, optimised and trimmed off a lot of fat from Windows 7 to get it performing better.

Definitely great if they manage to pull this off and provide a truly smooth experience. Obviously by the time this is released ARM chips have become more powerful.

They've already shown it running on ARM SoC's like the snapdragon. There's no wondering needed, we've already been shown proof.

Demoing certains things is one thing, actual real world performance another. It wouldn't be the first time in history the latter is disappointing.

From what I gather this is basically an application with a full desktop operating system supporting it in the background? With all these GUI layers stacked onto each other I have extreme doubts how this will run on lower-end hardware. I can't even begin to imagine that this will provide a smooth experience when running on a tablet the size of an iPad, simply because you can't really cram enough processing power in there. From what I've seen that's the #1 problem with running Windows 7 on an iPad-sized tablet: Poor performance. It doesn't look like Microsoft addressed that issue with Windows 8.

This is not an application (doesn't show up in taskbar) or a layer. From what I see, this is as default as explorer and the way they demoed - it made me think that the current/old UI is now a layer on top of it. It is most probably running side by side. The performance part should be no brainer, they demoed a WIP running as good/smooth/fast as any shipping iOS/Android device today. :laugh:

Demoing certains things is one thing, actual real world performance another. It wouldn't be the first time in history the latter is disappointing.

Just like with Win7 being shown running on netbooks with 1GB of ram back when that was the issue at MS events like MiX and PDC, we've had the same thing now with Windows on ARM. If you go back to the MiX keynote which talked about IE10 when Sinofsky showed up and they ran demos with the IE10 Platform Preview vs Chrome to show the hardware acceleration and performance gains over Chrome he then, after the speed demos, pointed out that this was all running on a ARM SoC. Up until that point people just figured it was on a normal x86 desktop.

He also pointed out how IE10 was already running and ported over to ARM in the process. If you can have Windows running on ARM and have IE10 smacking Chrome in the face on performance tests then I don't think anyone should worry about how it'll perform in the future on tablets tbh.

This is not an application (doesn't show up in taskbar) or a layer. From what I see, this is as default as explorer and the way they demoed - it made me think that the current/old UI is now a layer on top of it. It is most probably running side by side. The performance part should be no brainer, they demoed a WIP running as good/smooth/fast as any shipping iOS/Android device today. :laugh:

I already responded to that on the previous page: Demos are one thing, actual real world performance another. The past has showed this many times over.

Sounds like you're going through a mid life crisis. :p

No I just know what I'm doing... I want a real OS and not some stupid plaything. I want something that looks good and professional and not some stupid fad design. I want something normal operation not "do silly gestures to do actions in windows" thing.

if you think it's professional to flail your arms to manage cloud servers like that kinect demo video and wiggle your hands around all the time to change system settings than you must work at chuck-e-cheeses! becuase this metro stuff is cheese.

if people are bored with actual good interfaces and want this kinda stuff to "break the boredom" then they have no lives and they are unstable people.

they think it's "innovative" when the "joy" will wear off in 15 minutes.

the people who designed ugs were seen as "innovative"....

urban outfitters close are 'trendy" yes, but not good looking.

No I just know what I'm doing... I want a real OS and not some stupid plaything. I want something that looks good and professional and not some stupid fad design. I want something normal operation not "do silly gestures to do actions in windows" thing.

if you think it's professional to flail your arms to manage cloud servers like that kinect demo video and wiggle your hands around all the time to change system settings than you must work at chuck-e-cheeses! becuase this metro stuff is cheese.

if people are bored with actual good interfaces and want this kinda stuff to "break the boredom" then they have no lives and they are unstable people.

they think it's "innovative" when the "joy" will wear off in 15 minutes.

the people who designed ugs were seen as "innovative"....

urban outfitters close are 'trendy" yes, but not good looking.

Why don't you calm the hell down and just use the normal desktop UI then? It's been said, time and again, you can use the normal, desktop, mouse+KB UI just like today.

You don't want silly gestures to do actions well damn, all touch UI's are that way, so in the end you just don't want a touch UI or a touch device. If that's the case, don't get one.

Windows 7 is fast on low end hardware, don't know where you got that assumption from. From what i've seen on a number of low end hardware, netbooks and alike that have at least 1GB are fine. And anyways, i'm actually impressed how quickly MS got windows running on the new ARM chips, especially jumping straight to hardware acceleration and such goodness. And anyways, how can you say 'It doesn't look like Microsoft addressed that issue with Windows 8' when this is an early build / nothing is final, so its not too late to address any issues.