Building the Windows 8 UI

Have to say I am thoroughly damn impressed. This is the truly the start of minority report.

Who said anything about this being a fake demo? Don't put words in my mouth. Hell, I didn't even knew the initial Microsoft Longhorn demos were fake until you just told me...

I didn't mean to say you said fake, I was implying whatever Microsoft demoed, should work just as good in real world (performance wise - speed, battery etc.). Some of the PDS 2003 Longhorn demos were completely fake. :p

Have to say I am thoroughly damn impressed. This is the truly the start of minority report.

Your post made me realize that this interface should be completely Kinect-capable - it is almost same as the Kinect hub.

Heh, people seem confussed about the whole HTML5+JS bit in regards to this like somehow all Windows 8 apps are going to use that only. lolwhat? Common sense please! Just because MS didn't talk about things like .NET/SL/XNA or WPF etc doesn't mean those don't work for this new UI as well. I think Sinofsky wanted to point out that you CAN code simple HTML5+JS apps which tie into services (basically like chromeOS) and use that if you want. It was a call out to a new group of developers (though not really new) to have them join in as well.

I think it?s a legitimate concern. .NET has generally gotten pretty good adoption, but Silverlight and WPF haven?t gotten that kind of adoption. Considering how Sinofsky mentioned HTML5 + Javascript native apps would receive special treatment in the new Windows 8 interface, I could definitely see that eating into the adoption of things like Silverlight and WPF. Even assuming those technologies were updated to take advantage of Windows 8, if you?re a developer, you?re going to prefer HTML5 + Javascript because application is going to be a lot more prtable and you can target iOS, Linux, Android, ect. a lot easier.

At least apple's UIs are more professional and that's why pros use them rather than want this metro crap. the UI on the iphone is much better and glossy and smooth then the boring boxes MS made with metro. ;)

I comepletely love this.

It's taken me this long to suddenly realize that we can go ahead and use tablets as a laptop replacement, the iPad/iOS can't touch this (in it's current form).

It won't be long before we look back at those 'mouses and keyboards' that people used to use, I'm telling you now!

I completely agree. Companies could easily make workable and neat tablets with the same screen sizes as any laptop out there. I'd much prefer to use a tablet with a 15" screen than a laptop. They could implement a stand on the back of the tablet, and add VGA ports, USB ports, and other sockets to the side of the tablet.

Tiles are meant for floors.... NOT OPERATING SYSTEMS!

I think it?s a legitimate concern. .NET has generally gotten pretty good adoption, but Silverlight and WPF haven?t gotten that kind of adoption. Considering how Sinofsky mentioned HTML5 + Javascript native apps would receive special treatment in the new Windows 8 interface, I could definitely see that eating into the adoption of things like Silverlight and WPF. Even assuming those technologies were updated to take advantage of Windows 8, if you?re a developer, you?re going to prefer HTML5 + Javascript because application is going to be a lot more prtable and you can target iOS, Linux, Android, ect. a lot easier.

Proper developers who are used to working with full object oriented programming languages, hardware access and years of Windows API's aren't going to like this. There's a lot that can't easily be done in HTML 5 + Javascript, that and Microsoft have mentioned that even the HTML + Javascript solution will be relying on Windows 8 specific API's & syntax as well. There are millions of proper, desktop programmers who are going to be very annoyed about this, if it is the only solution.

We can still use Silverlight though either way, seeing as it was originally designed to be embedded in HTML pages in the first place and nothing has changed, but it'd be nice to see some purpose made API's for it. I'm also sure they'd love to entice developers to be easily able to jump between Windows 8 & Windows Phone, so I suspect there'll be Silverlight in there.

At least apple's UIs are more professional and that's why pros use them rather than want this metro crap. the UI on the iphone is much better and glossy and smooth then the boring boxes MS made with metro. ;)

Pros use Macs for their UIs? What are you smoking. After 4 years the only advancement iOS has made about it's UI is a homescreen background, but that is innovating and revolutionary, it changes everything, again, again.

Your post made me realize that this interface should be completely Kinect-capable - it is almost same as the Kinect hub.

Indeed, all the gestures are already there, swipe, etc. Assuming this is the case, I will finally be picking up Kinect.

well they obviously designed that interface concept to the brain dead wii crowd. just like phone 7.

like how MS used to have the nice "dashboard" Ui for the xbox that wasnt all douchey like the NXE crap with the wannabe wii avatars... the NXE so copied off the wii. appeals to nubs.

I'm thinking you're confusing the well designed Windows Phone 7 and now Windows 8 UI with the dumbed down row after row of app icons on the iPhone. Talk about designing for the brain dead...the iPhone and now OS 10.7 are the greatest examples of that.

Pros use Macs for their UIs? What are you smoking. After 4 years the only advancement iOS has made about it's UI is a homescreen background, but that is innovating and revolutionary, it changes everything, again, again.

And don't forget the revolutionary new folders feature lol

A bigger percentage of the Mac users are pro's yes, BUT the majority of Pro's use Windows.

Tiles are meant for floors.... NOT OPERATING SYSTEMS!

Oh would you just shut up now, no one cares for your perceived witty comments anymore.

Indeed, all the gestures are already there, swipe, etc. Assuming this is the case, I will finally be picking up Kinect.

Same, I'm quite excited for this. Excitied enough that I've actually started creating something like this in WPF (very much a work in progress seeing as it's only about 2 hours of work, not very well planned out at all, and not something I'll ever publicly release either), just so I can play with it with Kinect :D.

v4botl.jpg

Well, as soon as Microsoft releases that kinect SDK they were meant to release in May, I'll be set. .____. Shame they've gone completely quiet on what's going on with that SDK >.<

I comepletely love this.

It's taken me this long to suddenly realize that we can go ahead and use tablets as a laptop replacement, the iPad/iOS can't touch this (in it's current form).

It won't be long before we look back at those 'mouses and keyboards' that people used to use, I'm telling you now!

Keyboards and mice are going nowhere. the touch will be for tablet devices. but for serious work you want a keyboard. and for actual work on the screen you want a mouse.

and regular computer screens will never be touch screen, anyone knows how ridiculous it is to use anything 15 inch and up as a touch screen, it's stupid, you'll be moving your hands all over the place instead of a few cm on the mouse pad, and you'll be messing up the screen and covering over what you're doing. This is merely making pads and living room computer better to use.

HOWEVER, what I do so MS doing here is making more use of their gesture based Arc touch mouse, which will be able to do all of these things in the new GUI right on the mouse. even though I still find the whole gestures on a mouse or even a pad thing annoying. I'll rather have my proper mouse with real tactile buttons. And this new GUI works with a regular mouse as well so no problem.

I don't see much of this beign used on yoru regular desktop much anyway though. mostly for pads and HTPC's. though there are some neat functions and it's a lot better than desktop widgets.

I completely agree. Companies could easily make workable and neat tablets with the same screen sizes as any laptop out there. I'd much prefer to use a tablet with a 15" screen than a laptop. They could implement a stand on the back of the tablet, and add VGA ports, USB ports, and other sockets to the side of the tablet.

Not going to work in the workplace.

New UI + Kinect would be the perfect setup for media center pc.

I probably won't be using it in everyday work on a desktop PC (though it would be nice if you could put these tiles on the desktop, and use them similarly to the way gadgets work in Win7), but on a tablet it's going to be amazing.

I'm thinking you're confusing the well designed Windows Phone 7 and now Windows 8 UI with the dumbed down row after row of app icons on the iPhone. Talk about designing for the brain dead...the iPhone and now OS 10.7 are the greatest examples of that.

the iphone is more driver friendly then the windows phone 7. at least also the UI has depth....

the iphone is more driver friendly then the windows phone 7. at least also the UI has depth....

Uhrm, Windows Phone 7's UI has more depth - mainly considering that's its all animated with 3D plane projections .____.

its just text and boxes though.

And imagery, icon-ery, animations and fluidity. Everything comes together.

This was my response at WinRumors:

First of all, I absolutely love this UI for tablets. I think it looks amazing and is extremely intuitive.

That said, I don't like it for PCs for laptops unless they're touch-based. From everything I read and watched in regards to the D9 interview and demonstration, it appears that this is the starting location for PCs and laptops. I seriously hope they're not dumb enough to not allow us to change it so the desktop is the default location and you don't even have to bother with the tile interface for PCs and laptops.

I'm also not a fan of reverting back to the classic interface whenever you open a more traditional application, like the Office suite. I had hoped they would have created a dedicated tablet interface for Office instead of simply throwing you back into the traditional interface -- I can see that becoming incredibly confusing for beginner and intermediate-level users. I think you need to go all-in with the interface on tablets -- having it revert to the old interface isn't helping anyone.

I'm also somewhat concerned that the question of start up time was blatantly dodged during the interview. Tablets shouldn't have a lengthy start-up. Similarly, the requirement of an anti-virus for a tablet is also disconcerting. No virtualization on tablets is another somewhat alarming area, but I'm sure they'll find something to address that.

Still, I absolutely love the interface. They just need to be more consistent, which has been a problem with Windows for quite a while now. I know it may sound like I'm being overly critical, but I think these are major concerns that need to be addressed. This could be a legitimate OS revolution, though, I have no doubt about that.

This was my response at WinRumors:

First of all, I absolutely love this UI for tablets. I think it looks amazing and is extremely intuitive.

That said, I don't like it for PCs for laptops unless they're touch-based. From everything I read and watched in regards to the D9 interview and demonstration, it appears that this is the starting location for PCs and laptops. I seriously hope they're not dumb enough to not allow us to change it so the desktop is the default location and you don't even have to bother with the tile interface for PCs and laptops.

I'm also not a fan of reverting back to the classic interface whenever you open a more traditional application, like the Office suite. I had hoped they would have created a dedicated tablet interface for Office instead of simply throwing you back into the traditional interface -- I can see that becoming incredibly confusing for beginner and intermediate-level users. I think you need to go all-in with the interface on tablets -- having it revert to the old interface isn't helping anyone.

I'm also somewhat concerned that the question of start up time was blatantly dodged during the interview. Tablets shouldn't have a lengthy start-up. Similarly, the requirement of an anti-virus for a tablet is also disconcerting. No virtualization on tablets is another somewhat alarming area, but I'm sure they'll find something to address that.

Still, I absolutely love the interface. They just need to be more consistent, which has been a problem with Windows for quite a while now. I know it may sound like I'm being overly critical, but I think these are major concerns that need to be addressed. This could be a legitimate OS revolution, though, I have no doubt about that.

This Start Screen, replaces the Start Menu. When you click the start button on the task bar, it brings up that screen. It is also the first screen which shows up when logging in or turning on. There is a desktop tile you can press to get back to the desktop and taskbar.

I also believe the traditional desktop UI will be given a face lift to make it more metro.

I guess you mean Resume/wake time? iPad, the current golden standard, has a notably long start up time but instant wake/resume.