Building the Windows 8 UI

Exactly! I am nervous about it as a developer -- from what I have seen, but to be honest, I believe they have a solution to integrate .NET that hasn't been shown so far. :)

They say the apps inside the new start screen use html5+js+css etc, BUT can you in the end just stick SL inside a HTML window or w/e and use that? I mean, we're going to get a SDK and stuff so maybe what they'll have are some special APIs that you can use with JS etc that'll give you all the ability something like SL/WPF/.NET would?

Honestly though I don't see why the start screen can't just run all of those as long as they fit into the UI and look right.

They say the apps inside the new start screen use html5+js+css etc, BUT can you in the end just stick SL inside a HTML window or w/e and use that? I mean, we're going to get a SDK and stuff so maybe what they'll have are some special APIs that you can use with JS etc that'll give you all the ability something like SL/WPF/.NET would?

Honestly though I don't see why the start screen can't just run all of those as long as they fit into the UI and look right.

Good point! If that is the case, Microsoft has done this the right way! :) If they can run Silverlight and WPF, we are in for some great UI experiences I am sure. Although, with Silverlight catching up to WPF so fast, we don't really need WPF in the cloud do we?

I hope they don't expect developers to have to learn HTML5 to program for Windows now. They should update .NET, probably through WPF, to provide an easy mean for .NET developers to create this new type of application without changing paradigms or environments completely.

In general as a developer I am quite disappointed with the level of Windows support in .NET. It's supposed to be the platform to develop for Windows, yet it doesn't even expose any of the new APIs in Vista/7 (it's a separate library and it doesn't even expose everything, i.e. sound apis), and I fear the trend will only grow worse with Windows 8.

and it doesn't even expose everything, i.e. sound apis), and I fear the trend will only grow worse with Windows 8.

It doesn't? Have you tried PInvoke?

It doesn't? Have you tried PInvoke?

P/Invoke is for calling native APIs not exposed through a .NET type, which was my point. Of course I can use P/Invoke, or create my own C++/CLI wrapper, it's just a second-class option to having it built-in the framework. You know, it's supposed to be a comprehensive framework to develop for Windows. And I fear Microsoft is slowly driving us .NET developers back in second class. Not sure what they intend to replace it with (or whether they even know what they want), but I'm seeing it coming.

Well that's not been made clear. They keep saying a single version of Windows - I think they're meaning "we don't need a different OS for our tablet". There's been no definitive word on SKUs yet.

Hopefully though!

Hopefully it will also mean the end of low-end versions like Home Basic that were necessary for the cheap, underpowered netbook end of the market. It would be really nice to know that you're going to get a great Windows experience on older or less powerful hardware.

It sounds like Microsoft have been doing an enormous amount of work on optimisation in order to get everything working nicely on ARM. Just the fact that system specs for Windows 8 are the same or better than Vista is a huge achievement although I thought they were brave to gloat about that in front of all the OEMs in Taipei :laugh:

Imagine a marketplace that sells apps that work on all the platforms.

Buy Angry Birds and it works on your Desktop, Laptop, tablet, Phone, and Xbox (?). :D

Imagine a marketplace that sells apps that work on all the platforms.

Buy Angry Birds and it works on your Desktop, Laptop, tablet, Phone, and Xbox (?). :D

I get the impression Amazon would love to do that.

this would be a better way to do the start screen so far as the look of the buttons:

post-361542-0-64766200-1307144560.png

have your background and have levels of transparency and gloss for the tiles. this way it looks less sterile and more personalized!

there would be options for it as well for those who want the more flat color look like the video, and this for people who want thier own style and to see thier awesome wallpapers. (and who wouldn't want thier fav pics as the BG on a HUGE HDTV???)

that would be one way to get it to appeal to the customizers, while still keeping "the look" that they want.

(If only windows phone 7 had this!)

I found a way to make more people happy with it!

of course if you'd have white fonts or even have it adjust the font color to be right with the BG like the early windows 8 vid that showed the aero color changing withe the BG slideshow. or the fonts can have that glow effect and it would be customizable. it would look nice with a half frosted look with an elegant font like Candra, cambria, or a handwriting looking font.

this would be a better way to do the start screen:

have your background and have levels of transparency and gloss for the tiles. this way it looks less sterile and more personalized!

there would be options for it as well for those who want the more flat color look like the video, and this for people who want thier own style and to see thier awesome wallpapers.

that would be one way to get it to appeal to the customizers, while still keeping "the look" that they want.

I found a way to make more people happy with it!

STOP MAKING ME PUKE. I sure hope you aren't a graphic designer...

so you think only metro things look good huh? what about this forum's style? does it make you puke with it's gradients and glossy buttons?

does the windows 7 default UI make you puke with it's aero glass effects?

so you think only metro things look good huh? what about this forum's style? does it make you puke with it's gradients and glossy buttons?

does the windows 7 default UI make you puke with it's aero glass effects?

You obviously don't know what you're talking about and no, Windows 7's UI looks great, but what you posted is a piece of crap, Aero should not be overused, if so it looks awful.

this would be a better way to do the start screen so far as the look of the buttons:

there would be options for it as well for those who want the more flat color look like the video, and this for people who want thier own style and to see thier awesome wallpapers. (and who wouldn't want thier fav pics as the BG on a HUGE HDTV???)

(If only windows phone 7 had this!)......

Sorry, but that is horrendous. Windows 8 looks good as it is. The UI has a purpose, first of all, your Over use of Aero Glass would provide an inconsistent look with Windows Phone OS, the aim is to have consistency. Visual appeal is also a major factor, the color makes it easier to quickly find things on screen, its attractive, inviting. Simplicity is also another feature of the Tile interface, your use of Glass complicates things, its hard to see or recognize anything in your concept.

I do believe they should provide an option to change the flat background.

so you all think that other neowin user that I got that image from's style is bad? do you think everyone that doesn't use a metro styled desktop has crappy taste? because that's what you and jan are saying here. according to you and jan everyone that uses aero glass or any gradients on thier Uis have god awful taste. and the desiners of this forum skin must have lousy taste too. since having any gradients or anything other then flat colored boxes is sooooo horrendous....

so you all think that other neowin user that I got that image from's style is bad? do you think everyone that doesn't use a metro styled desktop has crappy taste? because that's what you and jan are saying here. according to you and jan everyone that uses aero glass or any gradients on thier Uis have god awful taste. and the desiners of this forum skin must have lousy taste too. since having any gradients or anything other then flat colored boxes is sooooo horrendous....

Firstly, neither of us said we hate Aero, it's a great UI when done right, just like any other UI. Yeah, I do think that image is crap, this forum looks great.

thing is we all have our different tastes... we all want our own UIs and with this metro thing it won't happen unless we do get the OPTIONS TO CUSTOMIZE IT. If you like metro in it's default form let it be, but us who actually want that glossy glassy stylke should be able to have it. can't you see it?

just like not everyone wants to live in a tract home or wear the same white t-shirt and jeans... we should not be shoehorned into one thing for everyone. let me get mine you get yours... ok!?

isnt that what the P in PC is... PERSONAL Computer... which means PERSONALIZATION....

since having any gradients or anything other then flat colored boxes is sooooo horrendous....

If you look at the Windows 8 design, it's actually full of subtle gradients throughout and other elements that provide depth to it. This iteration of Metro is neither flat nor without gradients.

thing is we all have our different tastes... we all want our own UIs and with this metro thing it won't happen unless we do get the OPTIONS TO CUSTOMIZE IT. If you like metro in it's default form let it be, but us who actually want that glossy glassy stylke should be able to have it. can't you see it?

Probably should try Linux instead of a closed platform then. We have choice in the market for a reason.

This concept should stick to tablets in my opinion, it won't be as smooth or convenient with a keyboard + mouse setup.

I rely on certain programs under windows that prevent me from switching to linux. that means I still want a degree of customization to windows.

and do you really wanna be using the same looking metro default UI that everyone uses? or would you like to have your own style to it?

and do you really wanna be using the same looking metro default UI that everyone uses?

Yes. Regardless of what you want, it's not the product you're buying. You don't buy a car and then complain that the doors don't open inwards because for some reason you want it that way. You could hack the hell out of it, but why would that be standard? It's not what the product is meant to be.

wow you're as exciting as oatmeal and tofu andrew.

No. They were saying that the design that you showed us sucked. And yes, it did suck.