Fail! Wii U only allows one screen controller at a time

http://kotaku.com/5809706/nintendo-looking-into-games-that-support-two-new-controllers

""We're considering our options with maybe two screens," Eguchi told Kotaku, who said he considers multiple New Controller games to be "an interesting idea." That would mean games that used two new Wii U controllers. Eguchi's five-player prototype, here at E3, has one person using a new controller and four other people using Wii Remote-Nunchuck combos.

While Eguchi didn't explain why Nintendo isn't looking into four-new-controller gaming, it's possible that the Wii U couldn't output to four screens at once (plus a TV). It's also simply possible that Nintendo would find that configuration too pricey for its customers. Nintendo hasn't said what the new controller will cost. But Eguchi answered my question about whether gamers should be concerned about the controller's price by saying that "I do understand that if the price is too high that would be an obstacle."

And also....

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306087/news/wii-u-console-and-controller-wont-be-sold-separately/

Wii u console and controller wont be sold separately what the hell?

I wouldn't trust this until you hear it specifically from Nintendo. Spokespeople don't know all the details, they're just there to answer questions.. and I don't think Nintendo has ironed out all the kinks yet.

To be honest, even though it would be cool, imagine the cost of one controller as is? Who would buy 2 controllers at the price they'll probably retail for anyway. P1 gets the main, screen controller and then others get classic controller style gamepads or wii remotes I would imagine.

To be honest, even though it would be cool, imagine the cost of one controller as is? Who would buy 2 controllers at the price they'll probably retail for anyway. P1 gets the main, screen controller and then others get classic controller style gamepads or wii remotes I would imagine.

That right there is probably a bigger problem than the wireless bandwidth

Well if they want to get back to the "core" gamer then I can understand, But it's certainly taking away from what made the Wii so popular as a party/casual multiplayer console! I'd say that is a very BIG design risk.

gimmick..

Really?

Motion control was a gimmick.

Analog joysticks were a gimmick.

Wireless controllers were a gimmick.

Rumble was a gimmick.

COLOR? In my video games? A total gimmick.

How is this a fail?

How many time do you really play 4 player local multiplayer? I can bet you not as often as you play online multiplayer.

Really?

Motion control was a gimmick.

Analog joysticks were a gimmick.

Wireless controllers were a gimmick.

Rumble was a gimmick.

COLOR? In my video games? A total gimmick.

motions controls are a gimmick... the wii is a gimmick and the definition of shovelware. this looks like it's going the same path. once the novelty wears off, no one cares about the wii anymore (from my experience with everyone i know with a wii) but those with a 360 or ps3 keep playing those over and over.

How is this a fail?

How many time do you really play 4 player local multiplayer? I can bet you not as often as you play online multiplayer.

the problem is right now it doesn't even do 2....

Then they need to show new standard controllers if they wanna do this hardcore game stuff.

They've got the Classic Controller Pro, which should satisfy most hardcore gamers. And most hardcore gamers I know don't have much qualm with the Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuck combo, just the lack of games :p And I don't see why the hardcore wouldn't like this new controller either - it's still got all the button, but it provides additional input and information for you.

Along with bandwidth, there's also the problem of having to render for multiple additional screens alongside the main TV. I'm sure having to render the screen for the WiiU controller itself at 30FPS is already having a cost on machine (which is already rendering 1080p on the TV). Getting it to render for ANOTHER controllers screen (at about 840 x 480 or whatever the resolution was) let alone another 3.

And, that's also where the "U" part of the WiiU name comes from. It's just for you :laugh: Everyone else just goes continuing using normal Wii controllers, it's fine and dandy. To be fair, there's not much choice here - they're limited by the amount of power it'd cost to run all these extra screens, and having at least 1 is better than Nintendo just not trying to do it at all.

Nintendo relies on gimmicks and resales to make itself.

Only one tablet per WiiU? guess that explains the U? its only U playing it! everyone else get their own

Maybe you could wifi that like a 3DSi? Maybe you can use that as one screen? its touchscreen and non-HD. its 3D. hehe. like PSP for the PS3 remote play.

There is no electronic reason otherwise. Any current tech can wirelessly sync just like wired, many clients without much problem.

Nintendo can't afford not making 50% profit from console - so cool 'money costing' features will be left out. Sorry!

I don't see why 4 is even a problem. Dreamcast did it with their VMU and madden generations ago!

I presume the tablet has its own wifi to browse the net without the U(nit) being on, bet it will only have a bit of RAM, Web won't even work right on it and will have to 'reformat' using the U(nit)

Bet you can't make a few profiles on the U either.... Pay to use network service, everyone requiring their own U to enjoy... Nintendo isn't innovating correctly! Guess you don't need any TV's tho really. lol

Gotta love nintendo marketing.

How is this a fail?

which wouldn't be a problem if Nintendo has an online service equivalent to Xbox Live or PSN, but they don't. They could have at least announced some ideas of what they want their online service to be like. Considering how many years Sony and Microsoft have been developing their online system, Nintendo is going to need to hit a homerun out of the gate with theirs to even compete IMO.

I'm not surprised, but then I don't really care.

The controller could make for some great SP experiences, even if Nintendo chose some not so exciting ones at the moment to show off, I imagine in the future developers could do something really awesome.

I wouldn't trust this until you hear it specifically from Nintendo. Spokespeople don't know all the details, they're just there to answer questions.. and I don't think Nintendo has ironed out all the kinks yet.

Currently they are only use one controller at a time, Miyamoto has said this himself, even though he says it is possible for more I would have assumed the tech can only do so much at a time.

I don't see why 4 is even a problem. Dreamcast did it with their VMU and madden generations ago!

I presume the tablet has its own wifi to browse the net without the U(nit) being on, bet it will only have a bit of RAM, Web won't even work right on it and will have to 'reformat' using the U(nit)

The web browser won't run on the the Controller - it runs on the console itself, not the controller. NOTHING runs on the controller really, The controller will barely have a any sort of fast processor in it - just a video decoder chip and some basic touch screen controllers and sensors - all the data gets sent to the WiiU, it process's it, creates a video stream, and streams that video to the controller. So lack of RAM won't be a problem considering it'll be using the WiiU consoles vast supply.

And that is probably (along with consumers not wanting to foot the cost) primary reasons for not supporting multiple screen controllers - the processor strain they'll take up.

What would be the price point even with one controller with screen. The main unit itself would cost around $200+ and a screen controller itselft should go around $150. Then min the console at launch would cost around $350~450 :no: no thank you.

which wouldn't be a problem if Nintendo has an online service equivalent to Xbox Live or PSN, but they don't.

Except for the fact with the Wii-U's online service is just like Xbox Live and PSN.. they've done away with Friend Codes and more.

Do a little research before you say something you don't know is true or not, please.

Really? You're REALLY going to go there?

FigureItOut-Productions-Official-Sega-Dreamcast-Jump-Pack---VMU-Packaging---Adam-Koralik-e10509474.jpg

VMU, Black and White LCD vs

wii-u-controller.jpg

6.2 inch color lcd screen.

There is a very, very significant difference here.

Except for the fact with the Wii-U's online service is just like Xbox Live and PSN.. they've done away with Friend Codes and more.

Do a little research before you say something you don't know is true or not, please.

Really? You're REALLY going to go there?

FigureItOut-Productions-Official-Sega-Dreamcast-Jump-Pack---VMU-Packaging---Adam-Koralik-e10509474.jpg

VMU, Black and White LCD vs

wii-u-controller.jpg

6.2 inch color lcd screen.

There is a very, very significant difference here.

i think thirteen years later the bandwidth and video hardware has improved enough where nintendo could pull it off. well 14/15 years later by the time this thing comes out.

One of my coworkers and I were talking about how fun it would be if the Aliens game that's coming to the Wii U would allow one of these controllers to act as a motion tracker in one hand while the other was used for the gun. I could see the benefit of this when one person has the tracker and a gun and the rest just have guns :)

It's still a long way from launching. Although NOT allowing for at least 2 of those controllers to work seems a bit pointless but for single player it's going to be sweet.

Nintendo always seems to thinking of ways to change who we play games. Kudos to them.

i think thirteen years later the bandwidth and video hardware has improved enough where nintendo could pull it off. well 14/15 years later by the time this thing comes out.

The difference here is that the VMU wasn't broadcast to the unit. It was an entirely different unit all together. It was run by batteries like a tamagochi.

my suggestion to nintendo would be to use low-cost hardware and well established software solutions to execute their handheld screen idea, and focus on putting value on the system as a whole... kind of like how they used Bluetooth for their wiimotes, it saved them from having to develop their own proprietary wireless protocol, but extend it to the platform itself, like maybe the handheld screen can use a low cost processor and run a version of Linux, for example...