E3 2011: Wii U 'arriving 2 years too late', has 'dumbest name..

The industry's best known analyst, Wedbush Securities' Michael Pachter, has offered his verdict on this year's E3 show, calling the expo an event that "continues to get better and better", while damning Nintendo's Wii U plans.

Pachter says he believes Nintendo's new console "is arriving two years too late", while Sony's PlayStation Vita has "the second-dumbest name for a device after Wii U".

"We were once again impressed by this year's E3, and the show continues to get better and better," the analyst said. "The hardware displayed was impressive, and each of the console manufacturers showed many core games for their respective systems."

He continued, "The most impactful 'reveal' at the show was the Wii U, which, in our opinion, is arriving two years too late. Depending on pricing, the system will be either a phenomenal success or a phenomenal failure, as competitive bundles for Xbox 360 with Kinect and PS3 with Move are likely to be priced below $300 by the time the Wii U launches."

Of Microsoft's E3 showing, Pachter noted that Microsoft "appears to us to be making several sound business decisions that will position its console with Kinect as the media center in the living room."

He added: "While the company's game lineup was not particularly surprising (only Halo 4 and a handful of Kinect games were 'reveals'), its integration of Bing search into Kinect was perhaps the most impactful announcement of the show."

Turning to Sony, Pachter predicted that Vita is likely to take a solid portion of the handheld market.

"Sony's presentation was solid, and the pricing on PlayStation Vita (the second-dumbest name for a device after Wii U) was quite a surprise," he said. "We expect the 3DS to sell well at holiday, due to a phenomenal lineup of content, but think that the PS Vita will capture some share early next year."

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306965/news/wii-u-arriving-2-years-too-late-has-dumbest-name-ever-pachter/

I'd hardly call it "the dumbest name". Granted it's not the catchiest or best name but it plays off the Wii brand name which is incredibly strong.

(I'm a little disappointed they didn't call it the "Wii Me" for lulz)

I actually agree with some bits of what Patcher is saying with the WiiU being the dumbest name (imo, thought Project Cafe sounds better :p) but I disagree on Vita being a dumb name. To me, the Vita means VITALITY imo :laugh: I don't think the WiiU will flop at least until we see some games that is shown using the WiiU's capabilities well.. like Kinect during MS last E3 conferences, etc... Though Zelda HD looks super awesome imo.

I'd hardly call it "the dumbest name". Granted it's not the catchiest or best name but it plays off the Wii brand name which is incredibly strong.

(I'm a little disappointed they didn't call it the "Wii Me" for lulz)

It reminds me of someone going "wiiiyuuuuu" after doing a smelly poo.

My opinion on this has been stated by several other people and I generally agree with Pachter this time - the Wii U is too late. The addition of HD is nice and they've (sorta) re-committed to "hardcore" games and gamers, but those same people already own a 360 or PS3, so where's the incentive to buy a new console? I realize that Nintendo's IPs are very strong brands, but strong enough to justify a $300+ new console purchase just for those? I doubt it, especially given MS and Sony's exclusives.

Wish i could get a job making ridiculous predictions and stating the obvious.

That would be a sweet gig for sure.

My opinion on this has been stated by several other people and I generally agree with Pachter this time - the Wii U is too late. The addition of HD is nice and they've (sorta) re-committed to "hardcore" games and gamers, but those same people already own a 360 or PS3, so where's the incentive to buy a new console? I realize that Nintendo's IPs are very strong brands, but strong enough to justify a $300+ new console purchase just for those? I doubt it, especially given MS and Sony's exclusives.

Because maybe some people don't like Microsoft and Sony's exclusives (Like me) and just stuck with the Wii. I'd rather have HD Mario and Zelda over the PS exclusives, Halo is nice but too meh. People seem to think they every single gamer is hardcore and just wants to shoot. Nintendo are the difference here, why do you think they outsold the PS3 and 360. If anything, I think games will be better. From some screenshots of Ghost Recon WiiU it seems more better than other ideas. I'd rather have a tablet with weapon choices on than waving my arms about in Kinect.

Wish i could get a job making ridiculous predictions and stating the obvious.

Michael Pachter is always wrong. Why does anyone ever quote that guy?

Like that Pachter is both stating the obvious, but also always wrong... :rolleyes:

Well, which one is it? :p

Yea...just like how the Wii was going to fail...mmhmm. I'm not saying it's going to be as "big" as the Wii, but until it comes out, Patcher should shut up. Nintendo always makes profits. This will be no different.

Nintendo chose a dumb name, I was stupid enough to buy a Wii. Serves me right, made games boring

and i learned the same lesson, which guarantees me never to buy this thing either

Because maybe some people don't like Microsoft and Sony's exclusives (Like me) and just stuck with the Wii. I'd rather have HD Mario and Zelda over the PS exclusives, Halo is nice but too meh. People seem to think they every single gamer is hardcore and just wants to shoot. Nintendo are the difference here, why do you think they outsold the PS3 and 360. If anything, I think games will be better. From some screenshots of Ghost Recon WiiU it seems more better than other ideas. I'd rather have a tablet with weapon choices on than waving my arms about in Kinect.

I will say it once like I have said it again, sales numbers dont mean a damn thing in terms of game quality. WoW is a perfect example of why you cant go by the numbers. WoW is a perfect example of how 12+million people can be wrong all at the same time. Most of the Wii games aside from the nintendo stuff and resident evil have been utter crap. Most of the games are not even worthy of being called garbage, they are the juice off the garbage. What needs to happen is for there to be better 3rd party support for the games. No more shovel ware to be allowed on the system. 1080p games, hard drive support so 3rd party developers can patch the games as needed if they need to. Not being able to patch has been the main reason why so few 3rd party devs do games for the Wii. Then there needs to be a real online community something like xbox live in terms of voice chat, achievements and forcing the online users to patch their systems to stop exploiting (shakes fist at mario kart wii). The only reason the wii sold as good as it did was due to the waggle gimmick but once it wears off few people fall for it again. Ask all the people who bought a wii if they still play them. Thats why I say the sales numbers do not mean a thing.

I will say it once like I have said it again, sales numbers dont mean a damn thing in terms of game quality. WoW is a perfect example of why you cant go by the numbers. WoW is a perfect example of how 12+million people can be wrong all at the same time. Most of the Wii games aside from the nintendo stuff and resident evil have been utter crap. Most of the games are not even worthy of being called garbage, they are the juice off the garbage. What needs to happen is for there to be better 3rd party support for the games. No more shovel ware to be allowed on the system. 1080p games, hard drive support so 3rd party developers can patch the games as needed if they need to. Not being able to patch has been the main reason why so few 3rd party devs do games for the Wii. Then there needs to be a real online community something like xbox live in terms of voice chat, achievements and forcing the online users to patch their systems to stop exploiting (shakes fist at mario kart wii). The only reason the wii sold as good as it did was due to the waggle gimmick but once it wears off few people fall for it again. Ask all the people who bought a wii if they still play them. Thats why I say the sales numbers do not mean a thing.

And your post shows how opinions can be different. WoW is a fantastic MMO well built and well maintained. Blizzard has done a great job with the game.

As for top rated games the Wii has just as many or more as the other consoles. I'm talking 90+ on metacritic, as for the 89-70 range sure the PS3 and 360 have more but for top quality only Sony does anything close to the number Nintendo has. The Wii U is already looking like great support and Gearbox is very happy to start working with the game with Aliens already working on the Wii U. Ubisoft and EA are also on board.

That's fine and valid, but I'm also not a shooter fan. I play primarily RPG and Action/Adventure games and some Racing games every once in a while.

My point was simply that Nintendo stated that they were re-focusing on the hardcore gamer - which means more AAA FPS games. And as I said, those people already have a 360 or PS3 or PC for that matter.

And the reason they outsold the 360 and PS3 is due to 2 things: 1) cost and 2) the newness of the motion control when it was first released. Look at the sales figures for the last 12 months - the Xbox 360 has been outselling the PS3 and Wii. The Wii's gimmick wore off and the software has not kept people interested.

I understand and agree with your point about Kinect, which is why I'm glad that the really good developers (Bioware) are looking at creative, smooth and appropriate ways to integrate it into their titles - they're integrating some voice control into ME3 (and it's optional) - no ridiculous arm-waving for the sake of having motion control Kinect support. If it doesn't make sense for the game, the developer should leave it out, especially for a AAA title aimed at the hardcore gamer that doesn't want waggle controls.

• 4 weeks later...
Like that Pachter is both stating the obvious, but also always wrong... :rolleyes:

Well, which one is it? :p

He has not been stating the obvious. On the contrary, he has been wrong on just about everything regarding the Wii. Even a broken clock shows the right time twice a day, but that doesn't mean it's reliable.

I will say it once like I have said it again, sales numbers dont mean a damn thing in terms of game quality.

Then how do you tell a good game from a bad game?

WoW is a perfect example of why you cant go by the numbers. WoW is a perfect example of how 12+million people can be wrong all at the same time.

WoW is/was a great game enjoyed by a lot of people. Who are you to tell them they are wrong?

Most of the Wii games aside from the nintendo stuff and resident evil have been utter crap.

Most games on most consoles are crap, though.