School Censors Religious Words in Graduation Speech

The censored portion of the speech. The bolded portions are emphasis added by me.

Does this honestly sound like a graduation speech?

Not in the slightest. He's not giving a speech, he's preaching just like every other nutbar "born again". Believe whatever you want but keep that bull**** to yourself. Don't force your dilusions on anyone else.

Its funny how some people here will argue all day long for gay rights and how gays should be able to express themselves and ridicule others saying "Are you afraid of catching the gay?"

But then when it comes to religion and God woooooo you can't talk about that in public.... I guess they are "scared of Catching the God"

Probably because there's no such thing as the separation of homosexuality and state, it'd probably still be seen as a bit weird and inappropriate if someone went on in a similar manner about their homosexuality in their speech.

They aren't. An individual is.

Whoever made the decision to pull the speech simply did the right thing by respecting the law.

Otherwise it would have been a blatant state-sponsored religious message.

Religious and anti-religious messages are not allowed to be government sponsored.

If you disagree, it may be of best interest to move elsewhere.

The censored portion of the speech. The bolded portions are emphasis added by me.

Haha, wow. School made the right choice.

If it's true that there was a "and He can help you too" part, then the kid had gone too far. Otherwise, I don't give a crap if he's talking about how some invisible man in the sky helped him through whatever.

Edit:

Holy ****. The school definitely made the right call. That speech is ridiculous.

Holy ****. The school definitely made the right call. That speech is ridiculous.

And, believe it or not, it's what the religious nutjobs in this thread actually tried to defend.

And, believe it or not, it's what the religious nutjobs in this thread actually tried to defend.

To be fair they probably tried to defend it without knowing quite how bad the speech was.

Hahha .. That is ****ing ridiculous. That is a sermon and NOT a graduation speech.

That don't change a thing! I say again are people so simple minded and gullible that the school feel the need to censor his speech because of what? Fear that everyone will suddenly burst into a choir ensemble? What happened to hearing what someone has to say and deciding for ourselves whether we agree on the topic or not. You do not realise that you are giving someone power to restrict your speech so we don't have to hear someone speak religious mumbo? What happened to simply ignoring someone? Why must someone have to do your thinking for you?

That don't change a thing! I say again are people so simple minded and gullible that the school feel the need to censor his speech because of what?

Oh, I don't know, maybe because it's against the law? :rolleyes:

That speech would ruin graduation, id have to throw tomatoes...

Its rather funny how religious ppl are feelin so persecuted lately...guess thats what happens when you stay stuck in the middle ages..or get a taste of your own medicine

That don't change a thing! I say again are people so simple minded and gullible that the school feel the need to censor his speech because of what? Fear that everyone will suddenly burst into a choir ensemble? What happened to hearing what someone has to say and deciding for ourselves whether we agree on the topic or not. You do not realise that you are giving someone power to restrict your speech so we don't have to hear someone speak religious mumbo? What happened to simply ignoring someone? Why must someone have to do your thinking for you?

It's completely inappropriate and out of place, and the school wouldn't be allowed to let him give a religious sermon. Besides, most of us don't want to hear that crap when we're at a school graduation; if I want to be preached to I'll go to a church.

Oh, I don't know, maybe because it's against the law? :rolleyes:

I do not know American law well and if this truly is against the law then that's settled, the teacher was just following the law and nothing can or will change that.

It's completely inappropriate and out of place, and the school wouldn't be allowed to let him give a religious sermon. Besides, most of us don't want to hear that crap when we're at a school graduation; if I want to be preached to I'll go to a church.

If you would rather have someone decide what you can and cannot hear instead of just ignoring the crazies then I guess you and your people will reap what you sow. Best of luck with that (Y)

I do not know American law well and if this truly is against the law then that's settled, the teacher was just following the law and nothing can or will change that.

If you would rather have someone decide what you can and cannot hear instead of just ignoring the crazies then I guess you and your people will reap what you sow. Best of luck with that (Y)

He has the right to say those things, just not at any government sponsored function in any official capacity.

People are more than capable of ignoring crazies. The thing is, we happen to have a system in place that allows us to not have to endure them in the first place. If this particular crazy wants to preach his religious sermon that bad, he can do it in a church. It's complete nonsense to argue that everyone else has to bend over backwards just to appease him and the religious nutjobs, and allow him to hijack the event to play priest and leave the school to face the lawsuits.

I think his point was that he CAN listen to the crazies if he wants to, but that he should not be forced to do so during a graduation speech hosted by a government run institution. As pointed out a large number of times, this violated the rules concerning the separation of church and state that exist in most modern countries.

I would rather not be forced to sit through a stupid religious sermon at a school function. Don't say "just ignore it" either because that's BS. No one (except maybe fundies) wants to hear someone preaching about Jesus at a school graduation and they certainly shouldn't be forced to. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech; this guy can stand on a corner and preach about invisible sky wizards to his heart's content, but he can't go to a school sponsored graduation and do it.

No one (except maybe fundies) wants to hear someone preaching about Jesus at a school graduation and they certainly shouldn't be forced to.

No one really wants to hear someone giving a speech about anything at a school graduation anyway. Just give them the diploma, toss the caps in the air, and be done with it :p

No one really wants to hear someone giving a speech about anything at a school graduation anyway. Just give them the diploma, toss the caps in the air, and be done with it :p

lol, that's true. :laugh:

I don't have a problem at all with the school's decision. It's a public school, meaning it gets government funds, and thus I don't think religion should play a role at any level, to be quite blunt. The school doesn't have to let a valedictorian read a speech, they're simply giving the individual the right to do so; nothing more than tradition dictates its necessity. Furthermore, it sounds like the kid's just getting butthurt because he can't preach his beliefs to other individuals.

I would rather not be forced to sit through a stupid religious sermon at a school function. Don't say "just ignore it" either because that's BS. No one (except maybe fundies) wants to hear someone preaching about Jesus at a school graduation and they certainly shouldn't be forced to. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech; this guy can stand on a corner and preach about invisible sky wizards to his heart's content, but he can't go to a school sponsored graduation and do it.

Uh, no. You can just ignore it -- no one's forcing you to listen to the speech, should it be read. You can step outside in the hall if you wish. I agree with the school's decision, but your reasoning is asinine.

Since it clearly is against the law then I do not see why it was an issue in the first place if people are not happy about that law then they should attempt to do something without taking heed of a sensational article designed to get a response. It seems I myself fell for the same BS however I still maintain that i would rather sit and listen to his "sermon" simply for the fact that I would not want my government to get comfortable with regulating 1. What I can and cannot say. 2. What they think I should and should not be hearing. I hope this will suffice as response to all those that have quoted me on that last post (Y)

Uh, no. You can just ignore it -- no one's forcing you to listen to the speech, should it be read. You can step outside in the hall if you wish. I agree with the school's decision, but your reasoning is asinine.

So everyone should just leave the building while some little bible thumper drones on about Jesus, which has absolutely nothing to do with the graduation by the way...now that's asinine. He's supposed to give a graduation speech, not preach. End of story.

I would not want my government to get comfortable with regulating 1. What I can and cannot say. 2. What they think I should and should not be hearing.

They aren't. You're free to go to a church and preach/listen to all the preaching you want but you can't do it in a public school.

Yes and it sounds like a great speech!!!!!