Linux Stands to Gain if Windows 8 falls

Windows 8 won't fail as long as it performs better than Windows 7 in performance benchmarks which it already is showing to have improvement in games, core/thread management, and memory management. Most gaming and performance enthusiasts will want to use it I'm sure as well as all the tablets/other devices that will be able to run it.

Exactly, windows is not going to lose ground and from what I've seen windows 8 is shaping up nicely, hell you can't use the adobe suites or play all of the latest gaming software on Linux so what is this Linux gain nonsense coming from. laugh.gif

Not everyone games or does Adobe. But I still don't see Linux gaining much, even though I don't see how Win8 will work well outside of tablets.

When Vista failed, millions moved to Mac and after switching to Mac they would never switch to Windows because OS X is simply the best operating system. Yes it did increase Linux market share too. Win ME was a failure, XP replaced it. Vista was a failure, 7 replaced it. Another major version of Windows, I see another failure from Microsoft...

but you can also run windows on a mac with bootcamp or vmware fusion!!! vmware fusion is freaking cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nah, Linux wont gain, Mac OS will since its a familiar UI and easy to use drivers work hardware supported, compared to linux which is drastically more complex (not UI wise) and not as many drivers / software writen for it at the commercial level

I've heard this before so many time. But if Windows 8 fails, OS X stands to gain more than Linux. If Windows 8 is terrible, and people don't like it they'll either stay with Win7 or go get a Mac. Very few people will install a Linux Distro.

very true

i can see it now why cant i install this app in linux ?

why cant i just download and install new nvidia drivers without a PHD in linux

LOL just a few

but really the year of the desktop linux i do not think will ever happen

its just a hobby OS really

someone needs to make bootcamp for linux! this would help alot!

or just use vmware.... ^_^

It’s a pretty simple case : Linux, as powerful as it can be at times, is not user-friendly, thus will never be able to grow much.

Windows, on the other side, is.

And Mac OS X… well user-friendliness is one of Apple’s key marketing lines, and you bet it is user-friendly.

It’s a pretty simple case : Linux, as powerful as it can be at times, is not user-friendly, thus will never be able to grow much.

Windows, on the other side, is.

And Mac OS X… well user-friendliness is one of Apple’s key marketing lines, and you bet it is user-friendly.

ee-yup.... and with vmware fusion u got the best of both worlds... LOL.... vmware fusion ftw!!!!

Well (IMO) that depends. Linux can be unfriendly for users, as with some distros it can take some effort to get them running the way you want. But once you've got a setup you like, they can be immensely powerful. My Arch install (now that it's set up) is rock solid, and it does exactly what I want it to all the time. It even looks pretty sweet!

The biggest problem that Linux suffers (and Macs too) is compatability. Windows has a very different and incompatible OS model, which is what restricts so many people from making the leap from one to the other. For Macs, things are getting better now that they're becoming more popular (it's becoming more common for even games to come with both Windows and Mac installers). But very few of the major software and games companies are willing to bring their applications to Linux.

It's very much a case that Linux can't gain market share because it doesn't have any market share to begin with, and it doesn't have any aggressive marketing teams to push it to consumers.

From day one Mac has had support of major commercial companies like Microsoft (Office) and Adobe (Creative Suite), this is something Linux lacks to this very day. Which brings me to my main problem with Linux today: I simply cannot do the things on Ubuntu that I'm able to on OS X Lion. It's literally impossible to recreate the Keynote presentations I make because OpenOffice is just so far behind when it comes to features and capabilities. Same goes for InDesign and Final Cut Studio, there aren't any viable options available. :/

Because of increased popularity companies that had once abandoned Mac are now making a comeback. One noticeably is Autodesk.

What?!? Blasphemy, competitors gain when their rivals "fall"... No news here

Except that Linux gained (next to) nothing from the whole Windows Longhorn and later on Vista debacle. Apple did.

Apple's Mac OS is gaining fast solid ground, and I think the next big OS will be Apple's, not Linux. Linux may be free, but I put my brother in front of a copy of linux (Unbuntu) the other day, and he found it clunky and awkward. Linux has got insane amounts of work to do before anything like 'the masses' will sniff it on a large scale.

Linux will probably never dominate mainstream, or even come close. But it is what it is, and it does what it does. So for that, it works perfectly.

Yup. Apple would get the slack. Linux always has been and always will be hobbyistware.

Proven time after time after time after time...

...I don't understand how Linux would suddenly skyrocket with a bad version of Windows when it never has before (when bad versions of Windows have come out.)

Not linux. Apple/Windows 7 would gain more. Linux shall and will always be used by hackers/script kiddies. The only time I use Linux is when I'm playing around with dumps from the xbox.

when windows vista came out the savvy went to windows server 2008. I did. I still use it. still using my good old technet copy. LOL.

and instead of windows xp I used windows server 2003.

Not linux. Apple/Windows 7 would gain more. Linux shall and will always be used by hackers/script kiddies. The only time I use Linux is when I'm playing around with dumps from the xbox.

I'm not a "hacker" or a "script kiddie" and I use linux.

People will simply go back to Windows 7 most likely if Windows 8 flops (see Vista and XP as examples of this).

Linux won't gain much more of a userbase, but I would say that iOS and Android (in regards to tablets) will.

win8 (aka ballmers baby) will fail. u wanna know why?

271403_700b.jpg

but now seriously. i dont see linux gaining that much honestly. the sheeps will always go with windows and the latest ubuntu version have done nothing good to change this.

• Like 2

Linux doesn't have to beat Microsoft, all it has to do is what it keeps doing and people who have worked their way up intellectually will find the appeal in using it.