OS X Lion Golden Master seeded to developers

No, you?re not color blind, it?s more blue than purple, but it does have a shade of purple. I even checked in Pixelmator with the color pick tool.

Cheers, I thought it did and I wasn't going crazy, lol.

I was sure I was seeing the purple rather than it being there, so I've found it rather off putting and really noticeable, hopefully I will get used to it.

uh.... no?

Because you already installed Mac OS X Lion... What exactly is it you want to do here? If you want to Erase & Reinstall (or whatever) Mac OS X Lion restart your Mac holding down cmd + R or option and select the restore partition.

Didn't want to bring that up, since many people on Neowin are always bitching and complaining about having to download that one extra MB... I thought I'd spare us that. ;)

What's this installer ?

post-43201-0-72136700-1311211043.png

Is this the new universal Installer in Lion, or did they really make a custom one?

Seems like a nice lack of uniformity to me. And those buttons down there are also strange?

I wonder why they made a custom installer for Xcode? I don't recall previous versions having one, but I could be wrong. Although I've installed several of the 4.2 DP builds and they all seemed to use the familiar Installer.

Granted, though, said custom installer for Xcode does not look bad, and it's something that I could see becoming sort of universal. Seems to have the Lion philosophy of further simplification and hiding complexity.

Oh, and as I got Lion via ADC, does it work exactly the same way for end users? That is, do they also need a unique, one-time redemption code which they type into the App Store to begin the download? I only ask because I read that Apple Stores are basically selling cards for $29 that have the unique redemption codes for Lion printed on them.

Because you already installed Mac OS X Lion... What exactly is it you want to do here? If you want to Erase & Reinstall (or whatever) Mac OS X Lion restart your Mac holding down cmd + R or option and select the restore partition.

I just wanted to download Lion again so I can put it on a USB stick.

*sigh* I just can't get over this... Sorry, but I can't. :ermm: Apple really didn't see this issue coming when they designed Launchpad?

post-128385-0-19852600-1311212237.png

*sigh* I just can't get over this... Sorry, but I can't. :ermm: Apple really didn't see this issue coming when they designed Launchpad?

You mean did they foresee people having ugly icons? Probably. :p

And yes, I know, that's really a support application for Excel. I'm not sure why it doesn't get grouped up with the Office support apps.

I just wanted to download Lion again so I can put it on a USB stick.

You don't have to. You can perform a Erase & Install by hitting cmd + R or option > select restore partition while starting up your Mac.

You can't redownload the Installer file after you installed Mac OS X Lion. You'll have to install Mac OS X Snow Leopard again first or use another Mac. Don't forget to de-autorize it after doing so, if using a Mac that isn't yours.

You mean did they foresee people having ugly icons? Probably. :p

And yes, I know, that's really a support application for Excel. I'm not sure why it doesn't get grouped up with the Office support apps.

It isn't being added by the installer, it suddenly pops-up after launching any Microsoft Office app for the first time... At this point I just want to sit down with whomever designed Launchpad and have a conversation about these things, because I just can't wrap my head around it. Some Mac OS X developers at Apple's must have realized that any typical installation contains tons of support apps no one wants in their Launchpad. Nobody can convince me otherwise.

No, wait, I'm lying, I just want to smack him/her with a mallet out of pure and genuine frustration. :yes:

I've noticed that Launchpad seems to basically add any .app located in the /Applications folder. When I installed CS5, it didn't even attempt to group things together. I also noticed it added things like the Update Manager, something that is usually invoked from one of the CS5 programs, not on its own. I had to grab everything, one-by-one, into a folder called "Adobe." Seems like Launchpad should be intelligent enough to do this on its own. I even found that when getting Xcode 4.1 from the App Store, all it actually adds to the Launchpad is the installer, not the app itself (since you have to run the installer first.)

It just seems Launchpad is trying to force end users to use their desktops like their cell phones. Why Launchpad couldn't have essentially just been a gesture-activated Applications stack is beyond me. As it is, I still find an Applications stack on the Dock to be far easier for navigating, and it's a lot quicker, too.

I even found that when getting Xcode 4.1 from the App Store, all it actually adds to the Launchpad is the installer

No way, you've gotta be kidding me?! :blink:

I actually installed Xcode through the backup I made on my external disk. I downloaded it from the App Store through my previous installation I got rid of today.

I even found that when getting Xcode 4.1 from the App Store, all it actually adds to the Launchpad is the installer, not the app itself (since you have to run the installer first.)

It added itself to a "Developer" folder on the first page for me...

I've noticed that Launchpad seems to basically add any .app located in the /Applications folder. When I installed CS5, it didn't even attempt to group things together. I also noticed it added things like the Update Manager, something that is usually invoked from one of the CS5 programs, not on its own. I had to grab everything, one-by-one, into a folder called "Adobe." Seems like Launchpad should be intelligent enough to do this on its own. I even found that when getting Xcode 4.1 from the App Store, all it actually adds to the Launchpad is the installer, not the app itself (since you have to run the installer first.)

And does the installer remain in Launchpad even after installation? If so, that's hilarious. Now I see the fuss .Neo has been making these past few weeks!

Yeah, it does for me, too. After running the installer. What I meant was that I thought it would have automatically installed the whole suite, although now that I think about it, that wouldn't work since you don't have to install all the tools if you don't want to.

Of course, my point was that Launchpad is just so... dumb. When it comes to certain things. Had it actually worked like AppZapper or any of the similar apps that delete not just applications, but all their attached preference files, and done a somewhat better job of organizing things, it would have been great.

As it stands, here is a short list of things I really want Launchpad to do in the future:

• Allow for multiple app icons to be selected and moved. You can do this on iOS via iTunes management, yet I can't do this in Mac OS X?
  • Allow for complete uninstallation of not just App Store apps, but all apps, regardless of where they were gotten.
  • Allow a simple and quick way to alphabetize all my apps. (I really wish this existed in iOS, too.)
  • There is no limit to how many files I can have in a generic folder on my computer, yet I'm actually limited by my screen resolution in Launchpad? Why on Earth can't Launchpad folders scroll? (Again, something else I'd like to see in iOS.)

Launchpad is probably the worst "major feature" I can ever think of in Mac OS X. It certainly has potential to be great, though, if Apple would just stop assuming that end users are afraid of their computers and literally do not know how to do anything except click on giant icons.

And does the installer remain in Launchpad even after installation? If so, that's hilarious. Now I see the fuss .Neo has been making these past few weeks!

I've had it happen on my past installation (I had up until today) that manually trashed apps would stick around as a huge "?". Re-downloading and launching said app would simply result in a duplicate in Launchpad.

PS I'm really not making a fuss about this thing based on nothing. :laugh: There are some really serious usability issues with Launchpad.

Oh man, I got tons of "?" on a previous DP install. One time it happened just from moving an application from one location to another. (Yup, Launchpad couldn't figure out it moved.) Another time I got it because I tried to manually delete an app from the /Applications folder, and yet it didn't realize it was gone, it will assumed it was there. Of course, this was all beta behavior, I haven't experienced any major issues with Launchpad in the GM, other than the minor annoyances I have with it listed above.

I have to agree with something John Siracusa once said about Mac OS X, the Dock, specifically: That it tried to merge the functionality of app tabs from System 9 with generic window management of the Windows task bar, and did neither very well. I certainly think it applies to Launchpad: It's essentially a glorified application stack, yet less powerful, but quicker to bring up (via a gesture) and prettier.

(Yup, Launchpad couldn't figure out it moved.)

See that's another thing I don't get. With the Finder, Dock, etc. you can move a file to whatever directory within the same partition and aliases will remain intact. Why is it that Launchpad suddenly has an issue with this? Makes no sense.

LaunchPad is the worst new feature! :(

I'm not even using it like I wanted to, I just dragged it off my dock. Oh well

Since Apple officially released Mac OS X Lion today I thought it would be nice to have an official threads that contains all Tips & Tricks, rather than having to skim through tons of pages in different threads.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1013650-mac-os-x-lion-tips-tricks-thread/

Feel free to add some of your own for others to enjoy! :)

See that's another thing I don't get. With the Finder, Dock, etc. you can move a file to whatever directory within the same partition and aliases will remain intact. Why is it that Launchpad suddenly has an issue with this? Makes no sense.

It's honestly as if the people who designed Launchpad have never actually used Mac OS X before.