More tweaks @ Main page

Sranshaft is using Segoe UI - which should look better on Windows 7 than on OS X.

That's Segoe UI?! :blink: Alright then, that's definitely a problem.

Also I have a suggestion, behind the logo have some sort of background which makes it so the pattern is faded a bit, this will make the logo clearer as a result. I haven't checked how it'll actually look but I think it'll be alright.

That's Segoe UI?! :blink: Alright then, that's definitely a problem.

Yeah, that's Segoe UI but the same thing happens with any font I choose. The same type of rendering problems happen outside of the header too. Button text, etc all render horribly. What is even stranger is the header text renders perfectly fine in the forums.

The new theme and updates looks good on the desktop but not so much on the mobile though. The featured image or the image for article looks kind of cropped on the mobile edition. Somethings like the featured post image is also missing from it.

The new theme and updates looks good on the desktop but not so much on the mobile though. The featured image or the image for article looks kind of cropped on the mobile edition. Somethings like the featured post image is also missing from it.

Pic?

Hi Guys

I have been coming to Neowin for years now. I used to hit this site at least 20 times a day and recommended this site to many of my friend

I do not moan and complain a lot, but guys why the changes to the look and feel of the latest news section with these huge thick bloated pictures. The style you guys had befor the water damage was a hell of a lot better looking when you land on the site it look sleek and pro. It looks cheap and bloated, i thought it was cause you guys could get the original theme back after the water damage.

Why? I know its not gonna change. Who decided on this?

Hi Guys

I have been coming to Neowin for years now. I used to hit this site at least 20 times a day and recommended this site to many of my friend

I do not moan and complain a lot, but guys why the changes to the look and feel of the latest news section with these huge thick bloated pictures. The style you guys had befor the water damage was a hell of a lot better looking when you land on the site it look sleek and pro. It looks cheap and bloated, i thought it was cause you guys could get the original theme back after the water damage.

Why? I know its not gonna change. Who decided on this?

Is it because the thumbnails are too big? Or because the whole theme is lighter?

Is it because the thumbnails are too big? Or because the whole theme is lighter?

Hi There bud.

The lightness is really nice the rest of the site is perfect including the forum :)

Its the NEWS section that look deformed and bulky, you could say its the thumbnails throwing off the sleek look we were used to, hmmm just wish i had a pic of what it looked like.

OK wait it just looked at it again, and if i may give my comment, i think its the InSoftware tile that throws off the consistency of the thumbnails. If you know what i mean. :)

Yeah I agree, but we don't really know what to do there, no image will also throw off the title consistency, but proof is in the numbers too, software news gets a lot more views since it was added to the primary feed, I'm open to ideas and feedback though!

Sorry to say it, but a lot of people are too lazy to explore "other" sections of our news, thats why it was added.

Edit: Hit settings top right of the main page and select "Disable Shortnews" to hide the mini news from showing btw.

Yeah I agree, but we don't really know what to do there, no image will also throw off the title consistency, but proof is in the numbers too, software news gets a lot more views since it was added to the primary feed, I'm open to ideas and feedback though!

Sorry to say it, but a lot of people are too lazy to explore "other" sections of our news, thats why it was added.

Edit: Hit settings top right of the main page and select "Disable Shortnews" to hide the mini news from showing btw.

I agree about. I usually read the main page news before but now I pay some more attention to the other parts as well.

Yeah, tried to get around to this new layout, but instead of it growing on me, I have grown to hate it. I've actually visited Neowin less since the change and have finally removed it as my home page today.

I mentioned this a little while back about the horrible text rendering on the front page header. It appears to be Chrome specific as the text renders fine IE. Just wondering if there's anything that can be done about this? The header text renders fine in the forums section, which is odd. Also, the text renders fine on mouse-over.

Another example of the horrible rendering:

Neowin-uglytext2.png

I mentioned this a little while back about the horrible text rendering on the front page header. It appears to be Chrome specific as the text renders fine IE. Just wondering if there's anything that can be done about this? The header text renders fine in the forums section, which is odd. Also, the text renders fine on mouse-over.

Another example of the horrible rendering:

Neowin-uglytext2.png

You able to see if hw acceleration is on or off?

You able to see if hw acceleration is on or off?

Thanks for the response Timan. On or off, I still get the same results. I've tried disabling Override software rendering list and GPU compositing on all pages. Enabling both. Disabling one and enabling the other. Everything I've tried doesn't seem to have an effect. What I can't understand is, every other page except the front page renders correctly. Even hovering over the link, renders the text correctly as can be seen here:

Nonfocused:

Neowin-uglytext2.png

Focused:

Neowin-uglytext3.png

The only thing I'm able to so to get it to look correct is to manually set Tahoma as the default font in Chrome and set Neowin to use Tahoma. Any other settings leads to the horrible text rendering in the first image.

• 2 weeks later...

Sranshaft, the font rendering in Chrome/Chromium has been changing in recent weeks/months.

I noticed this as I use gdipp to improve font rendering. Initially just shadowed text was affected, however now it occurs on all text.

I'm hoping that Google adds a switch/setting to revert back to the previous text rendering system, because right now it's unusable with gdipp.

http://code.google.com/p/gdipp/issues/detail?id=182#c10

Dark backgrounds added:

post-2-0-72647700-1315818067.png

I don't see them yet, despite clearing the browser cache (tried in Chrome 15)

Edit: Nevermind, works now. Pegasus Dark looks good.

Why is the fave icon different from the home page to the forum?

Because the new design for the forum isn't up yet. Give it time.