Mozilla Firefox 6.0 - Final

5.0.1 never actually registered on the auto update. I manually updated to that version.

Also @ Above, it's trying to cure your addiction :rofl:

After installing Firefox 6 it's no longer possible to login to Batte.net. I installed 5.0.1 and now it's working again. Mozilla messed this one up.

Works fine for me. Clear your cache/cookies.

5.0.1 never actually registered on the auto update. I manually updated to that version.

That's a bit odd. Oh well.

Works fine for me in 8. I had also used it with 6 and 7 and it worked fine :/

You can always try using about:config:

extensions.checkCompatibility.6.0

set to false.

and I think setting extensions.checkCompatibility.nightly to false should disable checking regardless of what version you are using.

Tried these and addons are still not functioning :(

Tried these and addons are still not functioning :(

Download the xpi file and open it with WinRAR or whatever, and open the install.rdf with notepad.

find <em:maxVersion>3.0</em:maxVersion> or whatever and change it to <em:maxVersion>7.0</em:maxVersion>

save rdf, save xpi, and select install add-on from file.

Um maybe if you people had some patience and waited a few days, your plugins and addons might just work normally again. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Download the xpi file and open it with WinRAR or whatever, and open the install.rdf with notepad.

find <em:maxVersion>3.0</em:maxVersion> or whatever and change it to <em:maxVersion>7.0</em:maxVersion>

save rdf, save xpi, and select install add-on from file.

Installations are fine, is there a way of tricking Firefox into running addons it already has that are no longer supported?

Yeah, find and download the XPIs from the Mozilla Addons site to the desktop, do what's mentioned above and then install them from file. I've already bumped all my extensions I use to version 10.

Installations are fine, is there a way of tricking Firefox into running addons it already has that are no longer supported?

maybe the Add-on Compatibility Reporter

another way found on lifehacker

tested this and it doesn't work as is

<snip>

Don't know if this works with newer versions, but you are welcome to test :)

3rd edit. found another way that looks promising. it has Force addon compatibility

Nightly Tester Tools

I just tried the Nightly Tester Tools, and it works, but what it does is create new configs :

extensions.checkCompatibility.3.6 thru extensions.checkCompatibility.7.0b and extensions.checkCompatibility.nightly

so if you want you can create keys up to or beyond the check Compatibility version you want to get around

Type about:config Choose New Boolean and enter extensions.checkCompatibility.#.# set to false and restart firefox

maybe the Add-on Compatibility Reporter

found on lifehacker

• Type about:config into Firefox's address bar and click the "I'll be careful, I promise!" button.
  • Right-click anywhere. Choose New Boolean. Make the name of your new config value extensions.checkCompatibility and set it to false.
  • Make another new boolean pair called extensions.checkUpdateSecurity and set the value to false.
  • Restart Firefox.

Don't know if this works with newer versions, but you are welcome to test :)

that did the trick (the addon)

I'm going to sleep now. Wake me up when people stop complaining about this and just be happy that they are actually releasing updates faster.

See, you fell for that. Version number changes don't indicate faster releases. You're the kind of naive person they're trying to impress with this kind of versioning and they're obviously succeeding. Firefox always had 0.0.1+ updates regularly even before this.

See, you fell for that. Version number changes don't indicate faster releases. You're the kind of naive person they're trying to impress with this kind of versioning and they're obviously succeeding. Firefox always had 0.0.1+ updates regularly even before this.

They had regular updates but they weren't never every 6wks. More like every couple of months.

Rapid releases are very different from Firefox's old update system. In the past, all that went into 0.0.1+ were security, stability and bugfix patches, while new features and non-maintainence code patches were reserved for the next version. Going with the old system, you'd need to wait probably a year before you'd see the new memshrink patches in a stable Firefox release, for example. So yes, Mozilla is releasing faster, and getting new features to users sooner.

You're the kind of ignorant person who rushes to diss things you obviously have no understanding about.

So yes, Mozilla is releasing faster, and getting new features to users sooner.

But it doesn't mean Mozilla is actually speed up development. They are not. FF5 and FF6 were both about few very minor features.

In other words, your saying I'm a typical sheep that falls for easy marketing, right?

I was not implying that higher version number means an X quantity of major new features. My point was that I could care less about the number as a whole. It all comes down to speed, performance, and features. May the best browser win. Whether its Chrome 76 or Firefox 144, if FF has the better overall product, that is what will get the honor of being called my default browser, and right now it does.

Also, those 0.0.# updates were mainly security patches to fix zero-day bugs and other holes that are later discovered that would be released randomly. I can't remember a single time that one of these updates added or altered a feature, which would normally be pushed through a major release via a 0.#.0 update.

But it doesn't mean Mozilla is actually speed up development. They are not. FF5 and FF6 were both about few very minor features.

Development is more synonymous to release in this case. What makes it into each version release ultimately comes down to how much is accomplished during each 6 week cycle before being passed off to Aurora/beta/release channels. But this doesn't mean they aren't working on major features. It just means that those features are not ready to be inserted into the code and tested yet, and will be held off until the next cycle or the one after until it is ready.

In the old method, getting a major release with substantial features meant waiting at least a year. So use that same guidelines and assume that it would take about a year to code and test those major features. In the mean time, we get all the minor fixes that help FF run smoother and slightly faster without those major features holding them up. The result is a better product regardless of how they choose to number it.

Rapid releases are very different from Firefox's old update system. In the past, all that went into 0.0.1+ were security, stability and bugfix patches, while new features and non-maintainence code patches were reserved for the next version. Going with the old system, you'd need to wait probably a year before you'd see the new memshrink patches in a stable Firefox release, for example. So yes, Mozilla is releasing faster, and getting new features to users sooner.

You're the kind of ignorant person who rushes to diss things you obviously have no understanding about.

Yes, half of the internets doesn't generally have the much sought after "understanding" of anything remotely understandable. I can agree that people whining about this new versioning system are getting annoying. But much more annoying are those people that always jump out of their pants and absolutely must have to throw the most stupid excuses to defend it and always come out with the same worn-out crap that has been stated by official statement from Mozilla guys anyway. I fail to see how's that called an understanding of things - it's a simple ability to read the text in English.

People are getting so much stupified by all the marketing shills they can't add 2 and 2 without the help of their 6 fingers. So can all the wiseguys please stop making their stupid claims as if no one except them ever understands the "progress", the only way things can be done right? Probably not. I know I'm asking too much.

Oh, and because it won't stop regardless of my ranting - the general public will have to wait for memshrink patches that same one year (probably). Because it has been commited in Firefox 7 and that's about to be released at the end of 2011, most likely.

I fail to see how's that called an understanding of things - it's a simple ability to read the text in English.

Great. Tell that to the guys who keep coming up with the same worn-out excuses to bash rapid releases even though their whining has been proven wrong over and over again.

Oh, and because it won't stop regardless of my ranting - the general public will have to wait for memshrink patches that same one year (probably). Because it has been commited in Firefox 7 and that's about to be released at the end of 2011, most likely.

Since when was the end of 2011 one year away from now?

Firefox will never catch up with Safari on the Mac version, right? All those custom interface elements and APIs? It?s almost like they don?t want us to use it huh.gif

Safari custom draws widgets as well (Only half of them resembling the system theme), I don't see what the problem is.

but those features got to the users faster than if they waited and rolled them all up into a later release. It only makes sense that more rapid releases, come with lesser changes, but of course those changes get to the users faster (that's the whole point).

That's really odd that disabling compatibility checking isn't working at all for you. It should certainly work for already installed extensions.

Have you tried removing all [incompatible] extensions, disabling compatibility, and installing them again?

If the extension is hosted on addons.mozilla.org, then Mozilla will automatically bump the compatibility if the extension is actually compatible, unless the author overrides that of course.

Development is more synonymous to release in this case.

Thank you, cap. I know it. But indeed they (at least media) promised to speed up development. And development speed was always been Mozilla's large problem.

What makes it into each version release ultimately comes down to how much is accomplished during each 6 week cycle before being passed off to Aurora/beta/release channels.

So in other way - no matter if there are no new functions they still bumping major version.

Development, schelopment. Nothing has changed. This speed-up is an illusion. Like most marketing tricks, it will have people firmly believing into their ability to predict the future.

In no known software development process under the sun versioning system has not, does not, must not and will not prohibit, restrict, prevent, even as little as just delay features done according to the project schedule being delivered to the end users in any way. Any kind of a release is ultimately the decision of the management of the project. End of story, big, fat period.