Probe pictures Moon landing sites

Probe pictures Moon landing sites

_55193463_55193462.jpg

Apollo 17: The parallel tracks made by the Lunar Roving Vehicle ("Moon buggy") can be seen at centre-right

Remarkable new images of the Apollo landing sites on the Moon have just been released by Nasa.

The pictures clearly show the hardware left on the lunar surface by American astronauts in the 1960s and 70s, including Apollo 17's "moon buggy".

The images were acquired by the robotic Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO), which has been circling Earth's satellite since 2009.

Such shots have been returned before, but these are the best yet.

LRO has recently lowered its orbit from 50km above the Moon's surface to just 25km.

This makes it easier to see equipment, such as the descent stages that put the astronauts on the surface.

The Apollo 17, 14 and 12 sites are viewed at a resolution of 25cm by 25cm per pixel.

In an extreme blow-up of the Apollo 17 Lunar Roving Vehicle, it is just possible to discern the condition in which the astronauts Eugene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt parked the buggy - with its wheels turned to the left.

LRO has been a highly productive mission. It was originally conceived as a robotic precursor to future manned missions, although when Nasa might return to the lunar body is not clear.

On Thursday this week, the US space agency will launch its latest Moon mission - the Gravity Recovery and Interior Laboratory (Grail). This is a pair of satellites that will survey the Moon's gravity in unprecedented detail to reveal its internal structure. This will help explain how the Moon formed and why its nearside looks so different to its far-side.

Source: BBC News

Can we put the 'The moon landing was a hoax!' theories to rest now?

so cool man .... i was wondering on the status of those vehicles ...would be cool to get some reading on the radiation level and prolongued space exposure

Meh...the engine is probably seized up, the gas has gone bad, the tires are flat, all rusted out...

:p ;)

Meh...the engine is probably seized up, the gas has gone bad, the tires are flat, all rusted out...

:p ;)

Just FYI' it's electric. International combustion doesn't work terribly bad in vacuum :p

Ummm... I'm pretty sure I wrote good... I'm gonna blame the iPad auto correct

I have no doubt about it and have faith in your spelling just like others before had in the moon landing (i kid ..... i kid)

I want closeups ... I want to see that monster footprint or the downed transformers ship ... it has to be real ... it just has to damn it ......

People will keep claiming hoax untill NASA takes them there so they can trip over it. Then when they get back they will claim they were drugged so they dont loose face

im so disappointed. i thought NASA would be able to have Moon Street view or something by now.

That would be a good idea,, put a small Rover with a cam up there, $500 and a person can drive the thing around for half an hour. That would be awsome.

Or at least a web cam with view of earth on horizon or something

I find it hard to believe. what about space dust/space dirt? NASA is saying that they can still see the tracks after this long? come on NASA who you tryng to fool? the tracks would have been long gone.

I find it hard to believe. what about space dust/space dirt? NASA is saying that they can still see the tracks after this long? come on NASA who you tryng to fool? the tracks would have been long gone.

There is no atmosphere on the Moon, hence no wind, hence no dust to cover up tracks like on Earth.

There are no facepalms big enough for this I'm afraid.

What would have made them dissapear, there isnt exactially wind up there, only thing that would move it in any form is impact crater, the low gravity anything that left the surface with any type of force from an impact or the return vehicle would just keep going ( the dark around the vehicle module ), any type of dust would have been captured by the gravity long ago with exception of the legrange points, therres still rock n crap there

LMAO, Oh my God! I take it you are joking, otherwise that's a silly comment, I can tell you know absolutely NOTHING about astronomy, did you know there's no atmosphere in the moon ( ie: no air/wind ) ?