[UK] Gay men blood donor ban to be lifted

^ I said nothing about Race.

I was simply thinking of ways to keep the peace.

If someone is so fearful of something, let them avoid it.

I wouldn't throw a snake at someone who was deathly afraid of them.

The best solution is probably to donate your own blood, over time, to be used only for yourself.

My aunt did this in her last years.

So what about fear of race? Or gender type? Or religious type? And so on....See how its becomes such a slippery slope with just one of those notions.

That kind of common sense doesn't compute with these people. They want to force their ideals upon others like religious zealots do.

Homophobes simply want to avoid gay people, but the politically correct types would laugh and grin and hoot and holler in excitement and delight at the sight of a homophobic man being forced to spend weeks in a padded cell with a flamboyantly gay man: the same as a bunch of mean spirited kids throwing a snake at a snake-phobic child.

Its been established you are showing a lack of common sense yourself. You open one door you have to open a thousand others. Christians dont want blood from Mormons, whites dont want blood from blacks, theist dont want blood from atheist.

Its retarded to even think about any of that. Blood is blood. It can save your life and regardless of who comes from, it will have zero other impact on your life other then saving it, period. Once again you dont get a say in who's blood you get 99% of the time. If you are in an accident and are unconscious, you'll get blood, period. It wont be labeled who's it is and you cant say "I ONLY want it from X, Y or Z person. To think you have that ability just goes to show how ignorant you really are.

Your concern about whose blood people want to receive is about the same concern as to what 2 men do in their own private bedroom. Get over yourself and let people decide whose blood they want and stop being an authoritarian.

I have no concern over what anyone does in their bed room. For the umpteenth time, you dont even get a say who's blood YOU get.

How come every time there's a gay thread, we always get someone who registered an account a few days previously, suddenly pop along with negative, clearly unbalanced homophobic content, across multiple threads? The last "Gay orientated" thread I looked at had the same problem.

Their choice has nothing to do with you. You are merely pushing your ideals upon others, as I said your type does.

Ignorance is not a place anyone should be happy to live in.

You can refuse to get a blood transfusion from the hospital and get somebody you know to do it, so yes, you do get a say as far as being a patient goes.

In a life and death case, no you cant, you can get blood or you can refuse it and die. Its that simple. They wont stop just so you can call you buddy to give you blood, no hospital will do that.

That kind of common sense doesn't compute with these people. They want to force their ideals upon others like religious zealots do.

no we don't. what we are saying is common sense not based on ignorance. youre views are purely ignorant. your arguments as to why don't want it are ignorant. you're response to what you would do are ignorant. basically... you're ignorant.

You can refuse to get a blood transfusion from the hospital and get somebody you know to do it, so yes, you do get a say as far as being a patient goes.

Jesus Christ - how many times does this have to be said?

The first part of the thread title? [uK]. What happens in other countries has no impact on the original topic, that was created. In the United Kingdom, the recipient doesn't know anything about the donor. Conversely blood donors are never told who they're donating to. It's done that way for multiple reasons, one of which has been clearly highlighted in this thread - the issue of people ignorance / intolerance.

You also can't just ask a doctor to use blood from a relative. Blood HAS to be typed, and screened.

TL:DR: In the United Kingdom - the country about whom this decision affects - you don't know anything about the person donating blood. If that makes you uncomfortable? You don't receive blood. It's that simple.

Your argument is no different than "my god is better than your god".

All you are doing is saying that people don't have the right to choose their own treatment.

People can choose their treatment, but not the materials that are used. You can't say to a doctor, "Sorry but I'd like you to use a breadknife for my surgery thank you."

Your argument is no different than "my god is better than your god".

All you are doing is saying that people don't have the right to choose their own treatment.

when it comes to blood donations they don't because all blood donations are anonymous. for all you know someone has already received blood for a homosexual who just hasn't gotten any in a year or just lied when he donated blood and said he wasn't gay... your bloodtype or dna doesn't know if you are gay or straight.

The difference between you and normal people is that you want to force your ideals on them and they just want to choose freely as normal human beings do.

Get over yourself. Their personal choices don't affect you. Your zealotry over their choice of whose blood they want to receive is no different than a homophobe telling 2 men they can't have anal sex.

In what way am I forcing my ideals when all Im doing is stating facts. I didnt make the rules, Im just expressing to you what ALREADY exist. Blood isnt something a hospital will let you chose from. It has nothing to do with mine or anyone else's opinion, its just fact. The only choice you have is to say you dont want a blood transfusion, even then I still dont think all hospitals would listen. You dont have much of a choice other then that so trying to argue that your rights to a choice should be yours is entirely moot.

As for that last comment, you clearly dont have a clue as to what your talking about. Gay people having sex in the privacy of their home in no way has any kind of comparison to getting a life saving transfusion. At this point I think you are just trolling. You cant truly be this ignorant.

Yes there is I don't want to have blood transfusion and become gay, there blood is full with gaycoli.

and you are a dumb a%% you can't become gay just having blood given to you

You're forcing your ideals because you want people to receive blood from gay people against their will. Their choice is meaningless to you because it doesn't fit into your ideals, so you use yours for them instead.

Also, as for you thinking people don't have a right to choose their blood source. They do. As I've said before, you can deny that treatment and have them draw blood from a family member or friend and put it in you instead. It happens all the time when blood supplies or types are low and all hospitals have the equipment and staff to do it.

You're changing the words around. I said that you have no right to tell a person where they get their blood from, the same as you having no right to tell 2 men not to have anal sex.

I dont think you understand what forcing ideals means. I cant force something I have no control over. I simply stating facts that already exist. How you cant understand that concept boggles the mind. Add the fact that you cant understand the fact that blood is blood and has zero baring on anything other then its job in the human body goes to show you dont even understand much of any of this conversation other then expressing your own fears over gays. Its perfectly fine that you dont like gays but you dont have a say on who's blood goes into your body. Again this isnt me forcing any view, just stating facts that the world doesnt submit to your whim over your own personal fear. As for having a family/friend give blood, you might be able to, depending on the hospital and ONLY if its not a dire situation. Again if its life and death and you only have mins and not hours, then no you dont have the ability to wait for someone YOU WANT.

It's not fine to you. You think it's wrong, which is why you don't think people should have the right to choose where blood comes from. You want nobody to ever deny blood from another and just treat all blood as the same because you think those people are wrong.

Not liking gays is completely different. As long as the blood is clean and posses no harm to you, then yes I think turning blood down because you are worried about who it comes from is out right retarded. Blood in no way affects who you are as a person and in no way will make you gay or retarded.

Yes, I do. I can:

1) Have somebody come and donate for me on the spot

2) Have my own blood ready for me (the rich do this all the time)

3) Go to a private hospital where I have blood ready for me.

People can in fact choose where their blood comes from. It's just that most people want to be treated instantly and use hospital reserves.

1. Unless all info is available BEFORE you go to the hospital, the odds of having someone you want give it on the spot dont favor you. Chances are, if you need blood, there isnt time to run all the test needed to make sure the blood YOU WANT is ready in time for WHEN you need it. The person you chose might not have your blood type or might have a disease that neither of you even know about. You may not even be around anyone close enough to reach you. You are pretty much betting that every possible factor will be in your favor at the needed time, which most likely wont be. So your point is pointless.

2,3. Yes you are correct, you can have YOUR blood ready for you. You just have to give that blood up before its needed. So unless you have already done so, that too is moot. You cant go in needing a transfusion then ask for your own blood without giving it first. Plus you dont always have a say as to which hospital you are going to end up at.

It isnt a matter of "want to be treated instantly", its a matter of IT IS NEEDED instantly. Two completely different situations, something I dont think you understand. So if you want to live in ignorance, that is your choice, just hope you never have an accident or some other case where you need it instantly cause if you cant communicate then you cant tell the doctors what you want and your just SOL.

This is of course assuming people don't lie about this kind of thing... I have given blood twice now and both times all you have to do is fill in a form with yes or no boxes, Heck, I turned up off the street and donated within 20 minutes... You are pretty sick if you have lied about having hepatitis or something like that and giving blood however it is tested for this kind of thing (You donate a bag of blood (1pt) and then two (or three?) test tubes of the stuff for tests (First time they took 3 but second time they took 2? It was over pretty fast though, <5 mins and I was done faster than most people on the beds already))

TL;DR: As long as there isn't any STD's in the blood there is absolutely no reason why a person shouldn't be able to donate. At the end of the day. Regardless of sexual activity they are still people.

I have plenty of friends with organ/blood donor cards. It's pretty common for people in wealthy areas like mine to give blood at a moments notice.

Again you are taking a bigger risk in hoping all outside factors work in your favor more then the risk that any blood you get is even tested properly.

You have to

1. be conscious

2. at a hospital that will take your request

3. not in immediate need of blood

4. have the people you want to donate to you near by

5. have their blood match your blood type or at least be a universal donor

6. be disease free

7. hope that the person donating isnt a secret gay person, cause if it's secret, you wouldnt know anyway.

good luck having all those factors work out for you should you ever need blood. BTW having a donor card doesnt guaranty anything for you. Your best bet is to go donate blood for yourself, its the best way to be sure. Though even doing that doesnt guaranty they still wont mix it up with someone elses.

^ Might be a good idea -- give 'gay' blood only to people who don't care.

If heteros are so worried, this may settle the fears.

[. . .]

I was simply thinking of ways to keep the peace.

[. . .]

Homophobia should not be encouraged, just like racism and sexism should not be. Your idea is really not a good one; tolerating the homophobes implies that they are fine with their thinking, but they are not.

Nature made them less likely to pass on their genes because half the time, their sexual romps would not be able to produce children.

No deal.

Your concern about whose blood people want to receive is about the same concern as to what 2 men do in their own private bedroom. Get over yourself and let people decide whose blood they want and stop being an authoritarian.

You're implying that all bisexual people have an equal amount of sex with males as they do females. That is ridiculous, and obviously not true.

Nature made them less likely to pass on their genes because half the time, their sexual romps would not be able to produce children.

No deal.

What about asexual individuals? They would be the least likely to actually have any kind of sexually transmitted disease, and at the same time the least likely to actually contribute to the human gene pool.