• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

iOS5 GM now available

Shadrack    601

I can't get wireless sync to work. The button is just greyed out. Anyone have any idea why?

Apart from that, running very very smooth. It's very nice indeed!

Connect to computer and from iTunes go to your device screen and check "Enable WiFi Syncing for this device"

Elliott    235

Well one would have thought yes… but by default, they turn on the backups even if you’re not connected to Wifi (or maybe it’s because I’ve been testing this in the past? but I doubt it…). I haven’t had much enabled, except for Contacts, Calendar, Locate my iPhone, and Reminders. No Documents, no Emails, no Pictures (no big stuff in the end). I turned it off now because my last phone bill was higher than expected - because of this specifically. It was syncing an incredibly large amount of void data through the 3G network.

What should I do ? Maybe if I destroy my iCloud account and create a new one? Maybe it’s because I’ve been testing the betas and it’s now corrupted?

Yea, I had some seriously high usage too (I'm on an unlimited plan so it wasn't a huge deal). I'll keep iCloud backups on in GM and see if it spikes again. It should only be backing up over WiFi. There's not even an option for 3G backups that I can see.

Eric    1,605

[Thread cleaned]

Please do not post links to sites offering Apple's pre-release software.

PyX    140

Yea, I had some seriously high usage too (I'm on an unlimited plan so it wasn't a huge deal). I'll keep iCloud backups on in GM and see if it spikes again. It should only be backing up over WiFi.

Oh crap… with all these betas, I would have thought they’ve had it perfectly done. I don’t want them to make the front page because a lot of people are paying extra costs because of iCloud, this will ruin their reputation like MobileMe back then.

And unlimited plan… so obviously, you don’t live in Canada if you managed to get this. -_- I feel like we are a good 5 years behind all the other countries, having only 500 MB for $25 here.

There's not even an option for 3G backups that I can see.

Well there’s an option to permit backups only if connected to Wifi, if that is what you mean…

Elliott    235

Oh crap… with all these betas, I would have thought they’ve had it perfectly done. I don’t want them to make the front page because a lot of people are paying extra costs because of iCloud, this will ruin their reputation like MobileMe back then.

Well, haven't seen my usage spike in GM yet, so I'm crossing my fingers.

And unlimited plan… so obviously, you don’t live in Canada if you managed to get this. -_- I feel like we are a good 5 years behind all the other countries, having only 500 MB for $25 here.

Yea, I'm on AT&T. :p Still holding on to my original iPhone 3G Unlimited Data plan.

Well there’s an option to permit backups only if connected to Wifi, if that is what you mean…

Where? All I'm seeing in the iCloud panel is the option to use iCloud Backup. Under that, it has some description text saying: "Automatically back up your camera roll, accounts, documents, and settings when this iPhone is plugged in, locked, and connected to Wi-Fi." No other options. :/

Jamushroom    201

Updated my iPhone 4 to iOS 5 yesterday as well. It's working flawlessly so far besides one hiccup earlier this evening.

PyX    140

In iOS5, the Facebook app is unusable for me, it constantly crashes or freezes. Anyone else?

SMELTN    142

I want a weather app for the iPad that shows up in the notification drop down like we see on the iPhone.. Anyone know of one? iPad of course doesn't come with a weather app for some reason.....

Also someone send me a imessage please. None of my friends want to upgrade until Wednesday so I have no one to test out imessage with.

my name I assume is my gmail account which is my user name here on neowin at gmail.

Thanks

Draken    54

iBooks seems to be broken again when jailbreaking, any ideas? I guess we'll have to wait for a fix

PyX    140

How is the 3GS running with iOS5?

Worse than iOS 3 of course because there is also multitasking in iOS 5, but equal to iOS 4. There isn’t any feature that "kills" the performance of the 3GS in iOS 5.

OOOOOOOO    192

Been running it a couple of days and it's solid :) Very nice. Of course, our freaking app isn't looking 100% with it as we've not styled the top bar ... but hey ... :D Damn our custom controls :p

bruNo_    24

In iOS5, the Facebook app is unusable for me, it constantly crashes or freezes. Anyone else?

It "crashed" for the first time today as well as Reeder, but not all apps are ready for iOS5.

Xerxes    229

WiFi sync is officially my favorite new feature.

I'm the opposite, I actually dislike it! I mean it's really convenient but damn slow for me.....took about 1+ hours to sync my iPod touch 4G via WiFi sync compaired to about 5 mins using the traditional method. Letting it sync overnight would solve it but still annoying.

I really like the new notification system and it's much better then the Android version (I have a HTC Desire) and love how it's implimented on the lock screen. It really annoys me how badly the notification system intergrates on the lock screen of Android (well on my Desire at least).

.Neo    1,834

Loving the new iPod app on my iPad. Finally being able to set shuffle without going into full screen mode. Really hoping we'll see iTunes 11 for Mac with some nice updates next week as well.

The only thing I absolutely hate about iOS for the iPad is the lacking weather app. Can't stand that Apple won't include it.

HawkMan    5,232

Putting a weather app on he iPhone and not the iPad doesn't make sense.

You're far more likely to be outside IN the weather with a phone than with an iPad.

SMELTN    142

Is there a weather app on the market yet that supports notifications for the ipad?

PyX    140
Really hoping we'll see iTunes 11 […] next week […]

What?

By the way, didn’t they redesign the new iPod app on the iPad into something utterly ridiculous ? I’d like a screenshot of this thing if you don’t mind, because last time I saw one (about 2-3 months ago) I was pretty disappointed by it …

.Neo    1,834

What?

What don't you understand?

By the way, didn’t they redesign the new iPod app on the iPad into something utterly ridiculous ? I’d like a screenshot of this thing if you don’t mind, because last time I saw one (about 2-3 months ago) I was pretty disappointed by it …

Apple gave the iPod app a radio-like appearance, it finally fits in with the other default apps that mimic real-life objects. From screen shots alone I thought it sucked too, but on the iPad itself it looks pretty cool.

PS Pretty hilarious. This is iPad #5 since March 25th. I returned all previous iPads because of the backlight bleeding issue. Apple was basically fed up with me and finally sent me a complete replacement iPad (new in box) rather than yet another refurbished one. The current iPad you see on the picture below finally has a newer screen in it that's 100% free of any backlight bleeding. :laugh:

post-128385-0-84994100-1318184415.jpg

PyX    140

What don't you understand?

iTunes 10.5 has yet to be out. I think iTunes 11 will be out next year, not next week.

Apple gave the iPod app a radio-like appearance, it finally fits in with the other default apps that mimic real-life objects. From screen shots alone I thought it sucked too, but on the iPad itself it looks pretty cool.

PS Pretty hilarious. This is iPad #5 since March 25th. I returned all previous iPads because of the backlight bleeding issue. Apple was basically fed up with me and finally sent me a complete replacement iPad (new in box) rather than yet another refurbished one. The current iPad you see on the picture below finally has a newer screen in it that's 100% free of any backlight bleeding. :laugh:

Hmm, I think as you say I’d have to use the application on a physical iPad. The old application seemed more ergonomically designed to me.

And 5 iPads … this was getting ridiculous :-S

I think when I end University in December, I’ll sell my MacBook Pro and wait to get an iPad 3 or 4, for work. It was amazing how I could navigate through an electronic version of an AutoCAD document with my iPhone when I had to go fetch some data on the floor of my factory. It could also be my #1 way to take notes during a meeting as well, to talk with customers, or when I have an interview. It looks insanely professional :p

.Neo    1,834

iTunes 10.5 has yet to be out. I think iTunes 11 will be out next year, not next week.

It wouldn't be the first time that Apple put out an iTunes beta under a temporary 10.x(.x) version to test new under-the-hood features and then renumber it when it gets integrated with new end-user features in the final release. It could very well be that the public "iTunes 10.5" features more than what we see today in the betas (updated interface for example) and ends up being released as iTunes 11.

Hmm, I think as you say I’d have to use the application on a physical iPad. The old application seemed more ergonomically designed to me.

Actually, the new iPod app is more touch friendly and offers more direct control without having to enter the full-screen album art view. The new appearance also fits in better with the whole iPad app analogy rather than it looking like iTunes on OS X Lion. Apps that have a real-world counterpart should reflect that (Contacts, iPod, Reminders, Notes, Calendar etc.) while apps that don't should just use "Aqua" (Mail, Safari, Messages etc.).

PyX    140

It wouldn't be the first time that Apple put out an iTunes beta under a temporary 10.x(.x) version to test new under-the-hood features and then renumber it when it gets integrated with new end-user features in the final release. It could very well be that the public "iTunes 10.5" features more than what we see today in the betas (updated interface for example) and ends up being released as iTunes 11.

In the iPhone 4S section of Apple’s site, they say you need iTunes 10.5 or later. So you think they are talking about the betas and we would see iTunes 11 instead, with more features and interface tweaks? That would make my day, but I’m not getting my hopes up about this for 3 reasons :

1. It’s the first time that I hear about iTunes 11. In Neowin forums. [After doing a little research though, a lot of sites have talked about it in the past, in 2010 and 2011 and so far all the rumors they threw us have proven wrong]

2. They don’t seem to care as much about iTunes as back in the day. iTunes 10.5 beta doesn’t bring much as an end-user, even though I have to recognize that iTunes Match, iCloud, integrating the new Lion features, making it 64-bit and supporting all the new iPods/iPhones must have taken a lot of time to implement altogether.

3. Isn’t it the #1 application on the PC? I think a quick sneak preview during the Keynote could have generated a lot of talk. Or maybe they wanted to keep the spotlight on the iPhone 4S?

Actually, the new iPod app is more touch friendly and offers more direct control without having to enter the full-screen album art view. The new appearance also fits in better with the whole iPad app analogy rather than it looking like iTunes on OS X Lion. Apps that have a real-world counterpart should reflect that (Contacts, iPod, Reminders, Notes, Calendar etc.) while apps that don't should just use "Aqua" (Mail, Safari, Messages etc.).

I’ll definitely have to try it ! I haven’t got the chance to try an iPad for so long, I’ve played with GarageBand on my friend’s iPad and I was shocked by the quality. I was able to reproduce some of my drumming skills in the application, that made me feel like a little kid on christmas day. :D

As I said, so far, with an iMac, MacBook Pro and iPhone, I don’t see the need of an iPad at all, but when I don’t need my MacBook Pro anymore, maybe things are gonna change… But then again, so many things will change when I get my diploma that I don’t know if the iPad will be a priority …

RvXtm    5

It says "iTunes 10.5 Coming soon" so i don't think we'll see iTunes 11 yet, but software should be released today, iTunes 10.5 and Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (With iCloud) maybe the new iPhoto with photostream.