[update] New Xbox Dashboard preview now avaiable

Oh..GAME adverts...advertising GAME content on the Xbox or coming to the Xbox, and MOVIE adverts advertising MOVIE content on the Xbox or coming to the Xbox. If those are considered disruptive unrelated ads to gaming, I am all for it. Now if I turn my Xbox on, and the big square in the middle is advertising HANES boxers and briefs, PILLSBURY DOUGH or TAMPONS, then I can see the complaints

I am complaining because usability is taking a backseat to ads. The ads now have more space in UI over functions that are with Xbox 360 from the start.

I am complaining because usability is taking a backseat to ads. The ads now have more space in UI over functions that are with Xbox 360 from the start.

I agree with you. Not to mention, I pay $50 a year for Live, I'm of the opinion that there should be 0 ads. If they want to faux-advertise, put some videos/trailers/commercials off someplace where I can chose to watch them.

No complaints with the currents advertisements for Sobe, Doritos, Marines, Kia, etc.? I know they're not RIGHT in the middle of screen but kind of.

I have none of those ads shown on my dashboard. Just a Chevrolet Volt ad in the bottom right corner. The rest of mine are all gaming or movies.

So, pretty much ad free.

Just wondering: am I the only one who's really anal about the boxart for games? I mean, it annoys me that they've changed the top logo so many times, yet tons of games don't use it. For example, Gears of War 3 uses the old top logo, as does Halo: CE. I kind of wish they'd change all the XBLA box art on old games, too, with the new orange top part to distinguish them from full 360 games.

what's wrong with advertising? it's not getting in the way of the game, and for me it makes the dashboard feel more alive. i'm talking about the current version, haven't signed up for the Metro preview. ads are not a problem for me, i love downloading all the free themes they give us, right now i have GEICO on there heh heh. no one is forcing us to be consumers at the end of the day, and like it or not consumption is what keeps our global economy working.

rambling aside, can't wait for the new dashboard to come along, curious about this whole cloud storage thing. if it means that by the time the 720 comes around we could do without physical storage, consider me impressed (but it ought to be optional, not mandatory).

Just wondering: am I the only one who's really anal about the boxart for games? I mean, it annoys me that they've changed the top logo so many times, yet tons of games don't use it. For example, Gears of War 3 uses the old top logo, as does Halo: CE. I kind of wish they'd change all the XBLA box art on old games, too, with the new orange top part to distinguish them from full 360 games.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. They should update the old ones

Got mine updated yesterday ;) Impressive and works great! It's even faster.

mu9gn.jpg

jr8i9j.jpg

Congratulations on breaking your NDA.

Get off the whole NDA thing, if MS cares then MS will track down.

Not to mention there is not a single thing that MS hasnt given the public already that is in the Preview.

( correction, i think the App store was New )

Not to mention, giving it to the public is uncontrolled, they know it will leak out, they dont care, if they did, it would be internal only, like the Mass Effect 3 they accidentially leaked.

If they cared about NDA, itnwould not be given to some random person, that they have no control over who sees it, friend comes over, oh sorry cant play xbox with you here, NDA.. Yea MS doesnt care

Get off the whole NDA thing, if MS cares then MS will track down.

Not to mention there is not a single thing that MS hasnt given the public already that is in the Preview.

( correction, i think the App store was New )

Not to mention, giving it to the public is uncontrolled, they know it will leak out, they dont care, if they did, it would be internal only, like the Mass Effect 3 they accidentially leaked.

If they cared about NDA, itnwould not be given to some random person, that they have no control over who sees it, friend comes over, oh sorry cant play xbox with you here, NDA.. Yea MS doesnt care

Well said, someone reported another leak on official forum and nothing happened afaik

I've been hearing from my friends that they really haven't increased the time from and how slow it is navigating the guide with the guide button. Anyone care to say how it is compared to the last update?

anybody else find it annoying that its not as simple to join a party when on the dashboard and see who's in it. With the old dashboard you went to the friends section and see who's in the party etc... then press Y to quickly join, now its go to this menu, then another and so on etc... Just to see who's in it and join

Any TV stuff added yet?

Also, when's the official release date? I read somewhere it's the 25th Nov.

No, not yet.

I've been hearing from my friends that they really haven't increased the time from and how slow it is navigating the guide with the guide button. Anyone care to say how it is compared to the last update?

It seems slightly faster to me, but it's not very noticeable unless you look for it. It doesn't hang as much, but otherwise it's about the same.

anybody else find it annoying that its not as simple to join a party when on the dashboard and see who's in it. With the old dashboard you went to the friends section and see who's in the party etc... then press Y to quickly join, now its go to this menu, then another and so on etc... Just to see who's in it and join

I find almost everything to be slightly slower and more complicated in this release. Especially browsing the games marketplace and the games you own - nowhere near as intuitive as it used to be. It really has been butchered for Kinect control :p

I expected this preview to go automatically like the last one, and missed that I had to get and redeem a code to make it work, so I'm a bit late getting in on it, but I finally did.

My first impression is the look is a lot better than what we saw in the developer preview, and I think that's a good thing. As you move left or right through the screens, related functions are grouped together, with the more important ones getting a much bigger presentation. This works in with the hubs concept of Windows Phone, and it also alleviates the concerns some people have of just getting a mass of tiles without any organisation on the start screen.

I don't expect Windows 8 to look exactly the same, and the Xbox 360 could see another dashboard update to be more in line with the Windows 8 look, but it's still a good sign. It just looks better and more polished, and that means MS is already working on some significant improvements to the look and feel of Windows 8.