[update] New Xbox Dashboard preview now avaiable

Ehh

Larry Hryb on Twitter:

FYI: The timing for Xbox 360 dashboard update has been slightly delayed. I?ll have a status update later today

:(

Couldn't run Netflix earlier, then noticed it was gone from my Video Apps. Went into the Apps Marketplace and there it was. Installed it and it now has a new UI. I'm not crazy about it, but the new UI when viewing TV shows is odd at first but I think it'll grow on me, just not the main app's navigation.

Couldn't run Netflix earlier, then noticed it was gone from my Video Apps. Went into the Apps Marketplace and there it was. Installed it and it now has a new UI. I'm not crazy about it, but the new UI when viewing TV shows is odd at first but I think it'll grow on me, just not the main app's navigation.

Woohoo! Seasons are now broken up as they should be. Subtitle support is now there, too. The main interface is a little strange, but I'll get used to it. The improvements are great.

Woohoo! Seasons are now broken up as they should be. Subtitle support is now there, too. The main interface is a little strange, but I'll get used to it. The improvements are great.

Subtitles? About time!

Same. I much preferred the old app's main interface. I don't like the new color scheme, the spacing between lists, and how it shows all the movie posters -- it just looks cluttered. But the actual viewing interface? Oh goodness, it's absolutely amazing. All the new options (rating, subtitles, audio options, related movies, etc) in the in-video experience rock.

Anyone else missing parts of the apps marketplace? should have Social, Music, Video and coming soon. But I only have social...

The Netflix update removed the ability to restart a movie. Feels like I got a VCR all over again having to rewind to just restart the movie. Can't tell you how many shows/movies my girls watch that are not 100% watched...

Anyone else missing parts of the apps marketplace? should have Social, Music, Video and coming soon. But I only have social...

Only social shows up in the UK for now.

The Netflix update removed the ability to restart a movie. Feels like I got a VCR all over again having to rewind to just restart the movie. Can't tell you how many shows/movies my girls watch that are not 100% watched...

Yup, there are some odd design choices for the main UI of the Netflix app. I really don't even understand why they overhauled it. It looked great as it was. The in-movie stuff is fantastic, but the main UI was far better before.

I sure hope the next dashboard update (the light UI) comes with some of the features and UI of the iPad app, it's much funner to use in my opinion. (Stuff such as Avatar editing, leaderboards, finding gamertags etc)

Looks like the preview is still effectively going!

Issue I mentioned above is now fixed (well done MS for the quick fix)

but in doing so this convo ensued (read bottom to top, dono why MS forum is backwards)

but it would seem us previewers will continue to get apps before everyone else.

Posted by Microsoft on 07/12/2011 at 15:40

I can't promise anything, and you won't see all of them as there are partner restrictions regarding which ones we can show you early. But one example is Daily Motion which was not released to the world but only the Preview.

Posted by philcruicks on 07/12/2011 at 15:36

@MS does that mean we'll be previewing some of the soon to be released app as well?

also thanks for the quick fix!

Posted by Microsoft on 07/12/2011 at 15:27

Correct, there are minor differences between the two groups, however that is becuase we want to make sure you see the newest stuff :)

Posted by philcruicks on 07/12/2011 at 15:25

Music and Video are now showing up in the UK

But Comming This Winter is still missing, housemate who wasn't on the preview program has that tab...

Its not a big issue....but shows there is still a discrepancy between preview and non preview users.

source: https://connect.microsoft.com/XboxLIVEUpdate/feedback/details/712225/uk-apps-marketplace-missing-tabs#tabs

THOSE IN THE PREVIEW:

YouTube and iHeartRadio apps are now up. I think those are the only two new ones.

Edit: I can't get YouTube to download, but the iHeartRadio app is amazing.

The YouTube app downloaded for me earlier but wouldn't open.

Tried the DailyMotion app earlier and after watching one video that took an absolute age to buffer, it said service unavailable and kicked me back to the dashboard.

Good to see my Gold membership is helping sustain a solid network.

Yup, both the new apps are amazing (Y) It's kind of surprising Netflix isn't one of the best apps now, as it used to be the only good one.

Facebook really needs an update, too.

Yup, both the new apps are amazing (Y) It's kind of surprising Netflix isn't one of the best apps now, as it used to be the only good one.

Facebook really needs an update, too.

Yep, as does Twitter - the Twitter app has always been ugly :(

Yep, as does Twitter - the Twitter app has always been ugly :(

I don't think the Twitter "app" is even an app -- I'm pretty sure nothing's downloaded, it's just on the Xbox servers. It's almost like a Web page. So I guess you could consider it a cloud or Web app, but nothing you download. If they wanted to update it to fit this new style of apps, they'd probably need to make it a full-fledged app.

I don't think the Twitter "app" is even an app -- I'm pretty sure nothing's downloaded, it's just on the Xbox servers. It's almost like a Web page. So I guess you could consider it a cloud or Web app, but nothing you download. If they wanted to update it to fit this new style of apps, they'd probably need to make it a full-fledged app.

I was under the impression it was a Silverlight based control (like the weird interactive promo adverts you used to occasionally see on the dashboard - like press "A" to blow up fireworks or something) >.< To that extant you being a cloud based control, it should be easy enough for them to update the style a tab?

I was under the impression it was a Silverlight based control (like the weird interactive promo adverts you used to occasionally see on the dashboard - like press "A" to blow up fireworks or something) >.< To that extant you being a cloud based control, it should be easy enough for them to update the style a tab?

Yes, that's a more apt description.

The more features you add, the more likely it will be required to actually be a standalone, downloadable app. Hence if they wanted to do anything more, it'd make the app a larger size -- no sense in loading all that stuff and not making an actual downloadable app.

Tried the DailyMotion app earlier and after watching one video that took an absolute age to buffer, it said service unavailable and kicked me back to the dashboard.

Good to see my Gold membership is helping sustain a solid network.

You know that Dailymotion is still a preview app, and that it is quite easily not the Xbox network at issue? (But DM instead).

THOSE IN THE PREVIEW:

YouTube and iHeartRadio apps are now up. I think those are the only two new ones.

Edit: I can't get YouTube to download, but the iHeartRadio app is amazing.

I agree...iHeart Radio app is awesomesauce. I never even used iHeart before this....but now I will. It is slick.