What best codec pack?

I have cleaned up my system and reinstalled windows (last time was September last year). I understand the declining usage of codec packs but there are some videos on my system especially 3GP vids from my old phone (I now have iphone but these vids are of family), and vids taken with fraps. They won't play with WMP.

Do people still recommend FFDshow? because that is what I had before. Just wanted to see if it is still good or if there is other better ones.

I have a very simple solution for you: download and install VLC player. It's very lightweight, but powerful video player that will play just about any codec you can think of, including 3GP.

I personally recommend giving Potplayer a go. It's also very customizable as well and has a better look than VLC imo.

CCCP, it's freeware (in the proper sense, they don't include pirated stuff), and it's configured well "out of the box" and includes support for a boat load of codecs and containers.

• Like 2

[(snipped)] The 64-bit works great for playing things in Windows Media Center in Windows 7 64-bit, does a nice job with pass-through of DTS, AC3, DTS-HD, TrueHD audio through the optical out.

ShootPlayer (SPlayer) does the trick for me. K-Lite has gone legit btw, much like CCCP. I used to use K-Lite until I decided to use SPlayer. It is so much better than VLC. :/

CCCP + VLC = tested method to play any file, any format all the time.

I haven't come across a file that VLC can't play in general use. So you don't even need CCCP or [(snipped)].

I use Win7Codecs by shark. They work for me. I have heard good things about CCCP though. I also use GOM player which does direct you to a codec like posted by jingarelho, it never has done that for me so Sharks must be working.

if you want a stable codec pack go cccp as they don't seem to update as much and it feel stabler

for win7codecs i had mpg thumbnails and other issues even know i was using shark007 suggested settings don't know if that case any more (they update a lot codec pack wise

jeez i only install codec packs for the sake of virtual dub

but i agree with what everyone says about vlc if u want a no hassle player that plays just about anything vlc gets the vote

Get rid of all codecs and VLC.

Install Media Player Classic - Home Cinema and LAV Filters. Disable all internal decoders within MPC-HC. Profit.

Why would you get rid of VLC, which is a single application that can handle everything, and add MPC and LAV filters, then have to change the config.

Install VLC, nothing else, and you're ready to view anything.

Why would you get rid of VLC, which is a single application that can handle everything, and add MPC and LAV filters, then have to change the config.

Install VLC, nothing else, and you're ready to view anything.

Personal preference. If MadVR worked in VLC I would definitely keep it. He asked for advice and I gave him it.

if you want a stable codec pack go cccp as they don't seem to update as much and it feel stabler

for win7codecs i had mpg thumbnails and other issues even know i was using shark007 suggested settings don't know if that case any more (they update a lot codec pack wise

jeez i only install codec packs for the sake of virtual dub

but i agree with what everyone says about vlc if u want a no hassle player that plays just about anything vlc gets the vote

I may try this CCCP Codec as I am getting tired of updating Shark's sometimes as much as 3 times a week. Once I had to update 3 times in 2 days. Thanks!

What horrible caption system VLC has. I installed it but captions which I need as I'm hearing impaired looks so bad like enlarged System font. I went and install Media Player Classic and that has very nice captions settings. VLC has very limited captions options :(

So Windows Media Player Classic it is for me.

I would recommend not installing a "codec pack" and instead install individual codecs that are popular (divx/xvid for instance) and then rely on something like VLC that has integrated support for a large range of codecs for the oddball video file that you don't have the codec for.