Regarding Metro UI Concerns.

A complete operating system UI is much different than a ribbon in office. I heard the same complaints about people sticking with XP instead of 7 in that it would require too much training. Personally, I never understood that argument because your typical employee clicks Start - All Programs - Office. Which is basically the same on all versions of windows.

What about Metro applications? If a program is designed specifically for Metro, would it work in previous Windows versions? If not, do you realize that a large number of businesses would see it as a bad move to only target one operating system?

I am not sure if metro programs will work on Vista and 7, could somebody clarify?

IMO, the Metro UI is one of the worst decisions that Microsoft ever thought up (in a desktop OS). I do not really see Windows 8 being a success either. People just upgraded from XP to 7, are they going to do that again? Who knows.

They won't, and likely by the final release of 8, they will probably have removed deprecated start menu files as well so the registry hack won't work.

Ad for warwaon worrying about the moms and pops. Well in my experience they've all transitioned to 7 just fine with nomhelp. Though they may not use all the fancy functions, they generally operate it better than xp since vista and 7 where designed to be easier to operate and configure than XP, though it may require more clicks, stuff is more logical and self explanatory.

As for Metro, same thing, only more. It's designed to be easy to use, and it is. It's simply plain obvious, just like anyone is able to operate a WP7 phone right away.

And the start screen works just as well as the start menu for power users who optimize their shortcuts and use the search anyway. The only difference is visual.

Why would they do that when they updated the explorer with ribbon? They are not going to just kill off the classic desktop with this release. They will be slowly doing it with every release.

IMO metro sucks and always will. i once saw a design on xda for what they thought metro would look like and it was the best thing ive ever seen. what microsoft has done is an abomination, no way ill put it on a phone or on my desktop.

I still can't see Microsoft alienating their entire enterprise base they have spent years cultivating. And I sure can't see the enterprise moving to Windows 8 and metro.

Why would they do that when they updated the explorer with ribbon? They are not going to just kill off the classic desktop with this release. They will be slowly doing it with every release.

What does updating the explorer file browser have to do with the start menu going poof...

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I really like the Metro UI. Its clean, sophisticated and minimal.

But for those who don't like it, can of course use the legacy one which, in my opinion, is a choice given to the users by Microsoft, which is rare these days

From my personal experience, Metro/Immersive is quite usable on traditional (non-touch) hardware (everything from netbooks to desktops) - the real issue is that folks are heavily wedded to the "Start menu", as it's the one constant from Windows 9x to date. There have been improvements and enhancements to the Start menu over the years - however, the Start menu's core has been that *comfortable shoe* that has been worn since 1994 (when the first wide beta of Windows 95 went onto computers across IT Planet). The attitude I have been seeing from the Immersive detractors reminds me all too painfully of the attitudes seen on A&E's "Hoarders", what we know about the "SuperCommittee" hearings (or even recent episodes of "Dr. Phil") - "my way, period".

From my personal experience, Metro/Immersive is quite usable on traditional (non-touch) hardware (everything from netbooks to desktops) - the real issue is that folks are heavily wedded to the "Start menu", as it's the one constant from Windows 9x to date. There have been improvements and enhancements to the Start menu over the years - however, the Start menu's core has been that *comfortable shoe* that has been worn since 1994 (when the first wide beta of Windows 95 went onto computers across IT Planet). The attitude I have been seeing from the Immersive detractors reminds me all too painfully of the attitudes seen on A&E's "Hoarders", what we know about the "SuperCommittee" hearings (or even recent episodes of "Dr. Phil") - "my way, period".

Indeed. (Y)

I hope Microsoft enables the legacy view ion next gen Windows.

I personally don't have a problem with it but then again, as you said, it'll take time for people to get used to the new interface which isn't gonna happen with one release alone

It is amazing to me that people accept and think it is good whatever Microsoft throws at them. Metro is plain ugly and unusable for anything but Mobile and Tablets. Perhaps MS didn't intend for people to use Metro on Desktops and Laptops but the reason why they are showing it in their presentation is pure marketing. Windows 7 itself has lot of things not usable at all left alone this crap. For example i never use Search in Windows 7 cause it is plain stupid and unusable and it does not find anything i search for. I see search in Windows 7 as some sort of shortcut for application listed inside your start menu and that's about it.

Why are you people complaining... Car dealers don't force you to buy the new model of you don't like it's new look or features. Stick with Windows 7

It is amazing to me that people accept and think it is good whatever Microsoft throws at them. Metro is plain ugly and unusable for anything but Mobile and Tablets. Perhaps MS didn't intend for people to use Metro on Desktops and Laptops but the reason why they are showing it in their presentation is pure marketing. Windows 7 itself has lot of things not usable at all left alone this crap. For example i never use Search in Windows 7 cause it is plain stupid and unusable and it does not find anything i search for. I see search in Windows 7 as some sort of shortcut for application listed inside your start menu and that's about it.

Everybody' got their different opinions. Ok.

When Microsoft is giving you the option to put Metro homepage aside and use the legacy view, then I don't know what the problem is.

And regarding that Windows 7 search thing, you don't use it that doesn't mean no one else neither. I use it, not all the time, but more than often.

I just have to click Start and type first two or three letters of the app and click enter. I'll prefer it rather than scrolling through the whole list

From my personal experience, Metro/Immersive is quite usable on traditional (non-touch) hardware (everything from netbooks to desktops) - the real issue is that folks are heavily wedded to the "Start menu", as it's the one constant from Windows 9x to date.

Except I personally never found it an issue to get used to a new interface. It's just that I don't see the appeal in using Metro UI on a more conventional desktop or notebook computer. While huge interface elements make sense on a device that relies on touch input, it's utterly pointless on a computer that's controlled through keyboard and mouse/trackpad. All it does it wastes space like crazy. Windows 8's Metro UI makes my 27-inch screen with a 2560 x 1440 resolution feel small.

Again if MS thinks that is good, fine as long as they give me option not to disable it but completely remove from Windows during installation itself or later via Windows Features (ON/OFF).

Microsoft like to give the user a lot of choice. If you want a tablet, a laptop, a netbook a desktop you can. You can build your own even, you can take a whole bunch of different components and combine them and build what you want. The operating system is also very customisable and Microsoft do not attempt to lock down things too much. They basically make the product sell it then once you have it do what you want.

Which is why this Metro thing is so confusing to me. It has little customisation and you can't deactivate it without modifying system files. No built in UI to just turn it off. It's a very "Apple" move to me. If you don't like it tough "you're holding it wrong" and all that good stuff. One size fits all in Microsoft's new Windows 8 world. I'm not really in to it and if I do decide to upgrade to Windows 8 I'll be deactivating Metro for sure.

Microsoft haven't ever provided a way for users to disable the Desktop mode (of course, they couldn't because it was the only UI before Windows 8), so why would anyone expect them to provide an official way to disable what will likely become the one and only UI mode at some point?

In regard to your comments about the customisation, Microsoft haven't even released a beta build yet, so we do not know how customisable the Metro mode will be.

Microsoft haven't ever provided a way for users to disable the Desktop mode (of course, they couldn't because it was the only UI before Windows 8), so why would anyone expect them to provide an official way to disable what will likely become the one and only UI mode at some point?

You seriously expect Microsoft to one day make Metro the only UI available at some point? That is just asinine. If Microsoft did that it would be their biggest blunder to date. Windows would cease to be a powerful platform and no one would use it for work any more. Can you imagine editing excel spreadsheets or creating power point presentations in Metro? How about writing a novel, homework, or just using more than two applications at once.

Come on Callum use your brain Metro will never become the only UI Microsoft will offer, if they attempted that it would be such a huge and utter failure they would never attempt it again.

I can't believe people don't realise this. I mean just actually think about all the power you'd be losing, overlapping program windows, contextual menus, hundreds if not thousands of applications would never work due to how small their UI controls need to be. It's just nuts that anyone could ever think Metro would become the only UI on a windows platform. crazy.

And I don't think it is unreasonable for me to expect Microsoft to include a UI control to deactivate Metro. They do afterall provide us controls to deactivate the super bar in Windows, Gadgets, the Gadget Sidebar, and change the theme from aero to basic or even the same theme Windows 2000 used. It's this customisation that has been the staple Microsoft windows since about 95. To not include a Metro off switch would be completely out of character for the company.

Can some of you Metro haters explain me why you think it's useless on a desktop

What is really so different between the start menu and the start screen?

I must be missing something because i think the metro interface looks pretty and works just as easy as the start menu.

I know it's not perfect yet, but if you take in account all the changes we already heard of and we know they are still working on it, it seems to me that they are on to something really cool.

And please use a different argument then i think it's ugly

Can some of you Metro haters explain me why you think it's useless on a desktop

What is really so different between the start menu and the start screen?

I must be missing something because i think the metro interface looks pretty and works just as easy as the start menu.

I know it's not perfect yet, but if you take in account all the changes we already heard of and we know they are still working on it, it seems to me that they are on to something really cool.

And please use a different argument then i think it's ugly

The fact that when you press the start orb a huge full screen UI covers all your applications when you don't want it to is big enough reason to want to turn it off.

The fact that when you press the start orb a huge full screen UI covers all your applications when you don't want it to is big enough reason to want to turn it off.

But why do you press the start orb? To start another application.

Doesn't it make it easier to find your new application when you have a nice full screen to look for it?

But why do you press the start orb? To start another application.

Doesn't it make it easier to find your new application when you have a nice full screen to look for it?

Nope. Doesn't make it easier at all lol if anything it makes it harder because now I have to scroll around a screen with randomly sized squares looking for an app when before I could just click an easily recognisable icon. Also I hit the start orb for the search system, to shutdown and to click on folders.

It's all much easier to access from the start menu than it is from the Metro UI. A lot less mouse travel, things are quicker to read, take up less space, I don't need to look all around my screen for something. And all I want is for Microsoft to give an option to completely deactivate it. You people who like Metro can have it, just give me an off switch that's all I want.

Another thing to consider is what if I want to open a desktop app. For example lets say I have the Twitter desktop app installed. But lets say I launch it from the Metro start menu, this gives me the Metro twitter app inside that UI and not the desktop app (in the case the developer includes UI's for both which is what Microsoft wants them to do). These kind of annoyances will happen in the future and just another reason I don't want it.

I don't think MS will build in an option to turn the Metro start screen simply off, since they also use it as there search interface.

I do believe that for most people the Metro interface will simplify the tasks most people use their PC for.

For the power users, tough luck, you might have to include 1 extra click to get to your oh so comfortable desktop

For the power users, tough luck, you might have to include 1 extra click to get to your oh so comfortable desktop

Come on I didn't belittle your views. You asked us why we don't like it, I told you.

And I think they will include a toggle to turn it off eventually. If they don't someone else like stardock will.

Come on I didn't belittle your views. You asked us why we don't like it, I told you.

And I think they will include a toggle to turn it off eventually. If they don't someone else like stardock will.

Sorry i didn't want to belittle your views, I use the desktop most of the time right now, but i'm willing to give the whole metro interface a chance.

I don't think it's that much of a change compared to Win7 start menu. Like some here on the site might want you to believe.

MS might give you the option to start straight away on the desktop, but i don't believe they will give you the option to turn the whole Metro interface off.

I don't think MS will build in an option to turn the Metro start screen simply off, since they also use it as there search interface.

I do believe that for most people the Metro interface will simplify the tasks most people use their PC for.

Metro is a way to get carpal tunnel. Oh there will be, i will hack crap out of that OS to kill it.

Sorry i didn't want to belittle your views, I use the desktop most of the time right now, but i'm willing to give the whole metro interface a chance.

I don't think it's that much of a change compared to Win7 start menu. Like some here on the site might want you to believe.

MS might give you the option to start straight away on the desktop, but i don't believe they will give you the option to turn the whole Metro interface off.

I own Windows 7 phone and Metro works there so and so, but LCD 27" screen with Visual Studio, VMWare and other apps does not need freaking Metro. Someone at MS mixed apples and oranges. To be honest they have the worst decision making management i have seen it in IT Industry. Windows Store is a joke on top of it. Can't wait for adware and trojans and viruses start popping into operating system via Windows Store.

Use newegg.com and steam!

MS might learn lesson with Windows 8 where they will ruin everything what was good with OS (improvements in FileSystem, numerous cool features etc) by dressing it with most ugliest and unusuable interface ever.

So i wonder what SP2 will bring for Windows 7? I believe Windows 8 will be complete failure because businesses just moved to Windows 7 and Windows 8 does not offer anything worth upgrading, hardly Windows 7 offers over XP and Gamers have DX11 with Windows 7 and probably getting DX11.1 therefore i see only new OEM computers being preloaded with it.

What is so bad about Metro people do not mention is that you have no idea if you have some app running in the background. For example in Windows 7 Phone you open IE and you decide to switch to some other app by clicking other tile. Your IE runs in background sucking out the battery power out your phone. There is no clear way how to close it. It is retarded beyond anything. It reminds me of problem Vista and Windows 7 have namely file copy which whatever reason can get really slow especially over the network in domain organized structure. Now suddenly they will improve that with Windows 8 as one of the features? WTF?

After Windows 2000/XP was developed MS lost it. They lost idea of what operating system should be and in the process we are here with Metro. Look at their web site, metro inspired - obsession is dangerous. Good example of failure is Zune, interface being joke and they are still pushing it to desktop (larger scale), really? At least they are consistent now lol. The last greatest OS ever released was Windows 2000 Professional.

Just because you don't use it doesn't mean that others don't use it.

I pointed out that it predates Windows 7 by quite a bit - that desktop-based search goes all the way back to "Windows 2000 Professional". In other words, it's not a new feature.

There are lots of features in operating systems that only a few folks use - it's not unique to Windows; not even close.

Lastly, I said nothing about marketing - I based my comments on (as I plainly stated) using the Developer Preview on my hardware (a traditional desktop) with my applications and games (none of which are Metro/Immersive-based). Basically, I took nobody's word for it - not that of Microsoft, or the detractors.

I go back quite a bit (back to Windows/286), and I have never personally owned any sort of portable PC (be it laptop, notebook, or netbook). The closest I get to touch-enabled devices are (on occasion) the odd *Android* smartphone. So why is it that I have exactly zero issue with Metro/Immersive?

• Like 1