Home burns while firefighters watch, again

Bad argument, because Jesus was a superhero that could spawn food out of midair. If a normal person gave away something for free, they would be eating that expense. If the FD gave away their services, they would be eating millions of dollars in loses. That is not sustainable and just not logical.

Last I checked, besides manpower, which is more abundant than water, and well, water... there is only gas and the machines. I doubt , if a few companies came together for the benefit of society, that a good deal for gas and machines/work for the machines, couldn't be made and done. But, you can't even imagine a scenario of someone being billed more after saving the house. They should be billed first, and if not, nothing should ever be done to help.

Simple, pay your way. Perfectly right to do what they did. I'm sure if life was at danger they would've acted. We all have bills to pay and the non paying of them has consequences.

I did read the article. The article does not mention if the fire dept also gets tax payer dollars along with this fee. If they also get tax payer dollars then not helping them if they do not pay the extra fee is dumb and they should be sued.

On long island , where i live,every fire dept has their own special tax district. IF you live in that district you get the fire dept and rescue taken out of your property taxes wether you like it or not.

Simple, pay your way. Perfectly right to do what they did. I'm sure if life was at danger they would've acted. We all have bills to pay and the non paying of them has consequences.

Exactly, some Americans' sense of entitlement is sickening.

So you really think the people who were too selfish to pay the $75 fee are going to pay a 10's of thousands of dollar fee after the fact?.....no, the would stiff the FD and not pay that either.

From the looks of that trailer park $10,000 would probably pay for the trailer and every inanimate thing in it, twice.

But we can't help the 1 person's house who didn't pay $75.. Oh no, because that would be just waaay too wasteful...

All I'm reading is, " Babble babble, I'm a selfish money centered creature who can't be a human, because I lack common compassion, decency, and the mindset to understand others suffering and wanting it to not happen, even when the ability to do so is readily available."

Your right. I'm going to cancel my car and home insurance because I know you will help me if anything bad were to happen. It's the decent thing to do. Thanks

I know it sounds bad. If I had been one of the firefighters, I probably wouldn't have been able to resist doing something to try and help, even if it cost me my job and possibly my life, if I got injured. Plus, legally, they had no right to be there, since they hadn't paid for the service and therefore granted them access. Let's say the firefighters went on anyway, and happened to damage a car outside the house, the homeowners could have possibly sued them for the damage even if it was on the way to putting out the house fire. Sounds crazy but it's the kind of thing that happens these days.

Look, the world would be a great place if we could all be compassionate 100% of the time, if the funding for these things just magically appeared out of nowhere, and if everyone happily did what they were supposed to do and took responsibility for things. But it doesn't work that way. The people even admitted they took the risk, and when you take a risk, sometimes you suffer the consequences. It's a hard lesson learned, but...

Then have a waiver they can sign, that says, We will save your house, bill you later, and can not be sued for damaged occurred while trying to save said property. There are ways around it. We just actually have to try. Not trying is the first step in having this happen more and more. It shouldn't happen, we have plenty resources to make sure it wont. If we can bail banks out with trillions of dollars, we can sure as **** fund the nations fire fighters. But people are just hell bent on making it not happen with these attitudes being expressed.

Known facts:

This was a Trailer.

This was way out in the middle of nowhere.

There was no fire department for this area, they came from a nearby town.

They knew about the fee and purposely didn't pay it.

Mobile Homes/Trailers are basically car fires. There's no stopping a fire thats already started. Same thing would apply to a regular car. They normally don't try to put it out to save the car. They keep the flames down so it doesn't spread and let the fire burn itself out.

This has nothing to do with human decency or compassion. If you don't pay your electric bill or water bill, they shut it off. You pay up, they'll turn it back on. Some fire departments are partially funded by state, by county or otherwise, but not all of them. Many departments are closing or consolidating because they don't have the funds to pay for them. The maintenance of the vehicles and equipment costs money.

And yes, the department made the long trek out to this fire and if someone would have been trapped, they would have tried to get them out. Thats human decency. The rest is property and most property can be replaced.

As for billing them later, that doesn't help buy that fire truck. That doesn't help pay for gas to get to the fire. And then they would have to pay someone to keep track of the people who haven't paid.

Those arguing about how evil this is and that they should have done it for free because they were there, do you have jobs? Do you expect your paycheck at the end of the week? Your providing a service to your employer. What would happen if tomorrow you went to work and suddenly your boss decided that he didn't want to pay you anymore, but hey, your there, you might as well do your job out of human decency.

Your right. I'm going to cancel my car, medical, home insurance because I know you will help me if anything bad were to happen. It's the decent thing to do. Thanks

Actually, you have car insurance, not for yourself, but for everyone else. So that if you do something, the others are the ones protected. Learn why certain things are as they are, and also learn where humans can overcome such petty things and actually do each other some good. I'm done in this thread, as it is nothing but selfish people arguing over a petty $75 bucks. Good jobs guys, you shown a excellent example of how people are turning out to be.

I hope no one post anything asking for help for tech issues on here, at least not for free, as no service should be free. Hypocrites.

Then have a waiver they can sign, that says, We will save your house, bill you later, and can not be sued for damaged occurred while trying to save said property. There are ways around it. We just actually have to try. Not trying is the first step in having this happen more and more. It shouldn't happen, we have plenty resources to make sure it wont. If we can bail banks out with trillions of dollars, we can sure as **** fund the nations fire fighters. But people are just hell bent on making it not happen with these attitudes being expressed.

The bank bailout thing was horribly irresponsible and stupid, and I commend this town for not following that example. You see where that got society in the end, don't you?

Mark my words. If they had gone on in anyway, helped them after the fact, somehow tried to retroactively bill them for all the years they didn't pay, watch what would happen. People would stop paying it, relying on the same treatment. During the year they would not be able to afford to keep up the service, and the whole thing would go away. Then you would start reading the stories about all the houses that burned down because there was no local fire station, because there was no funding for one. Then you'd come up with the bright idea of having everyone chip in a small fee every year to try and fund one... right? The whole thing was founded by people as compassionate as yourself, shakey. It's just that to keep it running, you have to sometimes make these kinds of sacrifices to prove why it's necessary. Again, remember that the PEOPLE are okay, and they admitted they were at fault. I have no doubt that someone would have jumped into save the PEOPLE if they were in danger.

Actually, you have car insurance, not for yourself, but for everyone else. So that if you do something, the others are the ones protected. Learn why certain things are as they are, and also learn where humans can overcome such petty things and actually do each other some good. I'm done in this thread, as it is nothing but selfish people arguing over a petty $75 bucks. Good jobs guys, you shown a excellent example of how people are turning out to be.

I hope no one post anything asking for help for tech issues on here, at least not for free, as no service should be free.

What line of work are you in shakey? If it is one that provides good/services, I will take everything you offer for free, because I don't want to pay for it. It would be very decent and compassionate for you to do so. Thanks man!

lol this is stupid. That idiot mayor should be fired.

That idiot mayor has little to worry about because the people effected outside of his city don't vote for him.

I'm surprised there isn't a volunteer county fire department, however.

That idiot mayor has little to worry about because the people effected outside of his city don't vote for him.

I'm surprised there isn't a volunteer county fire department, however.

Can you volunteer diesel? electric?

If there's no city/town in that area who, exactly, shall they pay taxes TO?

The county, along with their normal property taxes, just like it is done here. I fail to see why Tennessee doesn't do that.

Guys, the firedepartment would save lives. They would protect other's property. They would NOT risk their lives, livelyhoods, or equipment on someone's crap that didn't pay the fee. Compassion is what would send all of those firefighters into a burning building to save someone, anyone. Selfishness is what's driving all of you to demand they dive into the burning building for in this projectionist's case YOUR property. That entitlement to YOUR stuff without paying for it's protection is what's mind boggling to me. If someone dosen't have car insurance, guess what? If you total your car? You're out of luck. When buying property in that area, if it's anything like here, you're made FULLY aware of the fee, what not paying it means, and how to pay it (and in my case automatically pay it out of mortgage escrow so I don't even have to think about it) as part off state law. So guess what? Your **** is not worth other peoples lives or lively hood just because it's the "right thing to do". It's not. It's just possessions and if they mattered to you you'd have protected them by paying what amounts to taxes/insurance.

• Like 2

So you really think the people who were too selfish to pay the $75 fee are going to pay a 10's of thousands of dollar fee after the fact?.....no, the would stiff the FD and not pay that either.

The problem is that the article does not state the $75 fee is the only source of income. It just says it helps provide funding . IF the fee is ontop of tax payers money then the fire dept would not win a law suit.

Read the article again. It does not state that fee is the only source of income.

Guys, the firedepartment would save lives. They would protect other's property. They would NOT risk their lives, livelyhoods, or equipment on someone's crap that didn't pay the fee. Compassion is what would send all of those firefighters into a burning building to save someone, anyone. Selfishness is what's driving all of you to demand they dive into the burning building for in this projectionist's case YOUR property. That entitlement to YOUR stuff without paying for it's protection is what's mind boggling to me. If someone dosen't have car insurance, guess what? If you total your car? You're out of luck. When buying property in that area, if it's anything like here, you're made FULLY aware of the fee, what not paying it means, and how to pay it (and in my case automatically pay it out of mortgage escrow so I don't even have to think about it) as part off state law. So guess what? Your **** is not worth other peoples lives or lively hood just because it's the "right thing to do". It's not. It's just possessions and if they mattered to you you'd have protected them by paying what amounts to taxes/insurance.

you're exactly right. These people are projecting themselves into the position of the home owners. But unlike the home owners who take responsibility for their actions the people here on these forums are aghast that their over inflated sense of entitlement isn't being catored to.

I can't believe people are defending this action.

It's not like tacking a garbage collection fee onto your monthly bills... you can take your garbage if you really wanted to over to the dump. It's not like everyone has a fire truck sitting in the garage waiting to be used. Essential services such as fire should be included in your annual tax. I'm not sure why Tennessee doesn't do this. I wonder if TN also has a snow plow fee, a police fee, etc...

Ridiculous.

Bingo. This is no different than paying for any other type of insurance. This is just simply a local fire insurance. There's no option to pay later because that's how insurance works.

This is a universal concept to every country on earth. The only difference being that it's not issued by State Farm (etc.) but rather the local city.

If people can't understand that, then it's their own problem.

Bingo. This is no different than paying for any other type of insurance. This is just simply a local fire insurance. There's no option to pay later because that's how insurance works.

This is a universal concept to every country on earth. The only difference being that it's not issued by State Farm (etc.) but rather the local city.

If people can't understand that, then it's their own problem.

So in other words... a government run insurance company. Interesting coming from you.

Known facts:

This was a Trailer.

This was way out in the middle of nowhere.

There was no fire department for this area, they came from a nearby town.

They knew about the fee and purposely didn't pay it.

Mobile Homes/Trailers are basically car fires. There's no stopping a fire thats already started. Same thing would apply to a regular car. They normally don't try to put it out to save the car. They keep the flames down so it doesn't spread and let the fire burn itself out.

This has nothing to do with human decency or compassion. If you don't pay your electric bill or water bill, they shut it off. You pay up, they'll turn it back on. Some fire departments are partially funded by state, by county or otherwise, but not all of them. Many departments are closing or consolidating because they don't have the funds to pay for them. The maintenance of the vehicles and equipment costs money.

And yes, the department made the long trek out to this fire and if someone would have been trapped, they would have tried to get them out. Thats human decency. The rest is property and most property can be replaced.

As for billing them later, that doesn't help buy that fire truck. That doesn't help pay for gas to get to the fire. And then they would have to pay someone to keep track of the people who haven't paid.

Those arguing about how evil this is and that they should have done it for free because they were there, do you have jobs? Do you expect your paycheck at the end of the week? Your providing a service to your employer. What would happen if tomorrow you went to work and suddenly your boss decided that he didn't want to pay you anymore, but hey, your there, you might as well do your job out of human decency.

Is there another article that states the fact that there is no firedept for this area?

I honestly don't see why the county doesn't just didn't raise the property tax rate to include the 'fire tax'.

Most counties use the money from the taxes they levy to support public services such as police, fire, etc. >.>

I agree with the policy. If people do not pay then they do not get that service. I always get ****ed at people who want to vote no on fire and police levys. Most of those people work pretty hard for little compensation. Pay up if you want those servies, this is just an extreme case of that.

You'd be surprised at how many communities consistently vote no for schools and fire departments, this is probably why they have the fee. Services cost money. You either force it on people or you give them a choice like they did here.