HIV vaccine trial approved by FDA

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/12/20/hiv-vaccine-western.html

A vaccine that may prevent HIV has been given the green light by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to begin clinical trials in humans, according to Canadian researchers.

The announcement was made on the campus of the University of Western Ontario in London, Ont.

"We have gone through so many different challenges to come to this point," said Dr. Chil-Yong Kang, a researcher and professor at Western's Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry. "This is the first time that I feel very happy and comfortable to initiate this human clinical trial."

Scientists at the University of Western Ontario, financially backed by the pharmaceutical venture company Sumagen, developed the vaccine, which is based on a genetically modified killed whole virus. The vaccine stimulated a strong immune response in early testing and appears to have no adverse effects, according to the researchers.

Awesome. (Y)

Wonder how they'll test to see if it works... /s

*shot given*

Ok, and now we are going to put in some HIV....

a month passes

Ok... that didn't work sir. You now have full blown HIV...

*shot given*

Ok, and now we are going to put in some HIV....

a month passes

Ok... that didn't work sir. You now have full blown HIV...

:p

Guess the first testers that would be running for this are people who like sex without condoms with strangers (does exist after all).

If their infection rate is zero I guess a second test with actually injecting the HI virus would be made.

Good news, indeed.

Possibly cure for cancer AND vaccine against AIDS in one year, awesome! (Y)

Boy is 2011 "up and down"y...

Glassed Silver:mac

:p

Guess the first testers that would be running for this are people who like sex without condoms with strangers (does exist after all).

If their infection rate is zero I guess a second test with actually injecting the HI virus would be made.

Good news, indeed.

Possibly cure for cancer AND vaccine against AIDS in one year, awesome! (Y)

Boy is 2011 "up and down"y...

Yeah, great year for science, **** for everything else lol.

If there was 1 test that I'm sure is worse than the guy who test the razors that won't cut you, it is this one.

• Like 1

Why do I get the feeling, that it'll be kept around in a lab somewhere like smallpox?

Smallpox is kept in Level 4 labs in the US and Russia for research in case it's not really gone but hiding and a stealt strain emerges again.

What was that show that said something like, " Ya, when I became president, I gave all the richest and most powerful people aids. In 2 months we had a cure!" I think it was chappell show..

This would be really awesome if it works. It's really about time something was done about this disease.

We've been working up to it for a whilwe now. Even without a cure, HIV+ patients can still lead normal lives, and live longer than HIV+ patients 20 years ago.

We've been working up to it for a whilwe now. Even without a cure, HIV+ patients can still lead normal lives, and live longer than HIV+ patients 20 years ago.

Well yeah, but I meant a cure. Not just prolonging their lives (And their potential to infect others)...

Yeah, great year for science, **** for everything else lol.

If there was 1 test that I'm sure is worse than the guy who test the razors that won't cut you, it is this one.

I?m currently a volunteer in an HIV vaccine trial, and you really are not put into danger of contracting the virus from the vaccine itself. Recombinant DNA is used in these studies. Enzymes are used to attach proteins that resemble parts of HIV (synthesized with PCRS) to a disabled adenovirus. That dummy virus then *looks* like HIV, even though it can?t do anything but get attacked by your immune system when it launches its response. The vaccine, in this manner, is really quite safe.

Oddly enough, in the study prior to the one I am in, men who already had antibodies for the adenovirus type 5 used for the rDNA dummy, had a statistically significant greater chance of contracting HIV. They did not get HIV from the vaccine, but it did appear to make them more susecptible to infection. Those are the surprises these trials can sometimes expose.

• Like 1

I?m currently a volunteer in an HIV vaccine trial, and you really are not put into danger of contracting the virus from the vaccine itself. Recombinant DNA is used in these studies. Enzymes are used to attach proteins that resemble parts of HIV (synthesized with PCRS) to a disabled adenovirus. That dummy virus then *looks* like HIV, even though it can?t do anything but get attacked by your immune system when it launches its response. The vaccine, in this manner, is really quite safe.

Oddly enough, in the study prior to the one I am in, men who already had antibodies for the adenovirus type 5 used for the rDNA dummy, had a statistically significant greater chance of contracting HIV. They did not get HIV from the vaccine, but it did appear to make them more susecptible to infection. Those are the surprises these trials can sometimes expose.

Thanks. Good information, and good luck as well.

Damn. Best of luck to you.

This is amazing. I'm surprised the FDA actually approved this.

Really? They approve a lot of things, some of which are pretty sketchy and untested...

• Like 1

Really? They approve a lot of things, some of which are pretty sketchy and untested...

If you're looking for agencies that hold back on approving new stuff, look no further than the EU or more specifically Germany.

Not saying this with a negative tone, by the way... :)

Doesn't mean we don't get sh**, too, but yeah...