Half-life2 source leaked?

Valve should have had better SECURITY on their system, thats waht network administrators/ tech support people are for, I have worked with devs before, they install whatever on their pc and hope it works, they don't look at consequences.

Here is what someone else said on one of the other forums:

Originally posted by SabreWhore

I am starting to believe Valve set this whole thing up as a publicity stunt.

Gabe Newell says he noticed people had access to his mail and his machine on 9/11 and were logging keystrokes, so he reinstalled....uhhh and LEFT the Valve Source code machines directly connected to the internet even though he KNEW someone was trying to hack.

For a coder thats a very stuid choice. He would have to know anyone wanting in would get in eventually. There is NO security that cant be hacked. Then a while later he says someone stole the code.

Sorry I dont buy that at all. Come on thats the action of a dumbass. I mean all of that work to keep it quiet for 5 years, their prized project and you are asking me to believe he KNEW 2 weeks in advance that someone was INSIDE the security and accessing internal machines and he STILL didnt isolate the Intranet from the web?

Sorry but you are having a laugh. The first thing you would do if you knew someone was through the security and onto the machines is to get the HL2 project the hell out of their reach. Sounds to me like a grand old hoax.

I havent seen the code but people are posting in places that it has QUAKE headers in it? WTF? Thats not the HL2 engine!!

I think gabe is leading the world a merry song and dance. Also why would he give details about how it was done like that? He listed exactly what happened and said it was Microsoft Outlook on a web forum to the community??? It sounds to me like he was looking to be believed.......

There is something very odd about this whole affair.

I dont think what happened really happened.

Gabe Newell says he noticed people had access to his ail and his machine on 9/11 and were logging keystrokes, so he reinstalled....uhhh and LEFT the Valve Source code machines directly connected to the internet even though he KNEW someone was trying to hack

Yeah, he knows that *now* after looking back at logs, but didn't know at the time. Where is that posted? I feel the need to flame... :D

Honestly mzkhadir, that's ridicoulus. No self-respecting developer, businessman, or worker of ANY kind would EVER let the very product you have been working so hard to make be let out. Ever wonder why Microsoft doesn't make Windows open-source? Because they want to make money. Valve may have a top stance amoung developers (as well they should) but the bottom line is that they are still in this game to make a profit.

Half Life 2 is one of, if not the, most anticipated software titles EVER. Why on earth would Valve ever, EVER risk letting the very source for their company's lifeblood out in the open for a few promotion points. Simple answer? They wouldn't.

Honestly mzkhadir, that's ridicoulus. No self-respecting developer, businessman, or worker of ANY kind would EVER let the very product you have been working so hard to make be let out. Ever wonder why Microsoft doesn't make Windows open-source? Because they want to make money. Valve may have a top stance amoung developers (as well they should) but the bottom line is that they are still in this game to make a profit.

Half Life 2 is one of, if not the, most anticipated software titles EVER. Why on earth would Valve ever, EVER risk letting the very source for their company's lifeblood out in the open for a few promotion points. Simple answer? They wouldn't.

I have worked for several clients who have had better security to let a outlook/outlook express bug get in the way. They should have applied patches to fix the problem, used routers/firewall or proxy servers for access to the outside world. If they have had this problem with hackers before, why didn't they start protecting themselves better ?

Gabe Newell:

6) Periodically for the last year we've been the subject of a variety of denial of service attacks targetted at our webservers and at Steam. We don't know if these are related or independent.

Honestly mzkhadir, that's ridicoulus.  No self-respecting developer, businessman, or worker of ANY kind would EVER let the very product you have been working so hard to make be let out.  Ever wonder why Microsoft doesn't make Windows open-source?  Because they want to make money.  Valve may have a top stance amoung developers (as well they should) but the bottom line is that they are still in this game to make a profit.

Half Life 2 is one of, if not the, most anticipated software titles EVER.  Why on earth would Valve ever, EVER risk letting the very source for their company's lifeblood out in the open for a few promotion points.  Simple answer?  They wouldn't.

I have worked for several clients who have had better security to let a outlook/outlook express bug get in the way. They should have applied patches to fix the problem, used routers/firewall or proxy servers for access to the outside world. If they have had this problem with hackers before, why didn't they start protecting themselves better ?

Gabe Newell:

6) Periodically for the last year we've been the subject of a variety of denial of service attacks targetted at our webservers and at Steam. We don't know if these are related or independent.

That's my point, it doesn't matter. Maybe the thought they had patched it, maybe they thought the source was isolated, maybe they just flat out forgot. But no one, NO ONE would EVER let their creation that they have both been devoting their lives to for years and to whom is very important financially get out on purpose. It just flat out does not happen.

mzkhadir, that SabreWhore really said whats was on my mind....

me in Gabe's position, i would ve burned that system even if i had the slightest doubt that it was compromised... :rolleyes:

oh & chrisa107 :| get a life, vat was ment by the mzkhadir post is that this is a hoax (as in : the leak is not real)

I have completed my musing on this subject and I have the truth of what happened. Many of you wont believe me, but I am convinced I am right none the less

I was trying to put things together in my head and hadnt got the final piece, now I have. the last piece was WHY he announced it as he did, what was he aiming for. I had to really study the posts over and over to understand its impetus but I am 100% convinced its targeted AT the people who stole it.

The post by gabe Newell was designed to support the ruse he implemented.

Heres the scenario.

Gabe discovers someone has hacked his machine. They have logged keystrokes and are clearly loooking for HL2.

So what does he do? Naturally he is comprimised so he formats the machine. Obviously if you suspect virus or trojan you isolate the machine from the Intranet and if your security has failed you isioplate the Intranet from the Internet. So he does this.

Then he comes on a great idea. What if he lets the people THINK they have got him. they get decoy code, Gabe gets lots of Hype and Free advertising, sympathy AND an excuse for the delay and the late annoucnement. Killer manouver.

So they slap together some clever ruse code and they stick Gabes machine complete with bait onto the network connected to the web and they wait.

Now we have the aprt that was eluding me. The announcement. What is he trying to achieve. Firstly theres the step by step guide. Why?

Thats not normal, so why is he dojng it. he wants someone to know EXACTLY what happened in the setaling of the code. This to me says its trageting someone who already knows. he wants the thief to know it is them.

Second he thorws in Microsoft Outlook. Huge exploits and commonly know for being insecure and everyone likes to balme Microsoft. Easy, people arent going to question a weakness in security caused by Microsoft Oulook.

Thirdly the annoucement of the stolen code. IF it was real you would want to convince people it WASNT real wouldnt you? That way people are less likely to go after it.

If it wasnt real however you wouldnt mind them thinking it was. If you SET IT UP to be stolen yourself, you would want the people that stole it and everyone else to believe that what was out there was the real thing.

Bingo. There we have the Reality of Gabes annmouncement. its not an announcement at all its a very cleverly worder confirmation of soemthing he wants to be believed because he staged it this way.

He saw an opportunity and he took it. Clever boy Mr Newell.

On top of everything esle the little 'someone accessed my mail' throw away line also covers him for any emails he might have sent saying 30th september was still a go.

Its actually quite a clever ruse, but its a ruse for sure.

You have to admit my thinking on this makes very good sense. More than what gabe is asking you to believe

post from sabrewhore from nforce

Interesting hypothesis SSRules. If this were the case it would also throw off some of the hackers who are trying to use the code for developing cheats or whatever other devious projects they have in mind. The question remains, is Gabe smart enough, or capable of thinking that far enough ahead, to pull off a stunt like this?

Here is my speculation on a possible event that may explain how the hackers managed to get away with the real deal, if it truely is.

Gabe found out his email was hacked and took precautionary measures. After reformatting he felt he secured the machine well enough and didn't believe he was in any danger. However, while his computer was still infected it may have managed to download the key logger and spread it across the valve network before the reformat. Since it was a special logger designed specifically to take advantage of Valve they did not discover it until it was too late. In this time frame the hackers managed to download some of the source code, or perhaps more. It's a possibility. There are unanswered questions with this scenario though, such as why keep your source files on a machine that is hooked up to the net? Especially one that doesn't even have a secure mail client?

I certainly hope the former is the case, for the sake of Gabe and Valve. As well as for the customers who are looking forward to a bug and hacker free game come november/december.

Edited by ANova

hmm have to comment SSRules reply. Maybe your right, but it sounds to me that theres to much at stake here to take such a risk.. the simplest misstake could ruin their whole reputation and credibility.

:laugh: haha u guys ssrules didn't write that. he's quoting it. if u read underneath post from sabrewhore from nforce. anyway i think that theory very well may be true. if not then valve are even more stupid than i thought. only time will tell if it is the real deal or not

whoops. my mistake then. it's still a bs article. i've took a dive into the source code and it's the thing; and if you really claim that it's a dud, then whatever.

Yes, it was a publicity stunt. They want people cracking, warezing, making cheats for, and ultimately ruining their game.

The world makes so much sense to me now.