list of services, what should I disable?

Everything but Print Spooler! (Y)

Glassed Silver:mac

/joke!

Wow. That's a bunch of crap you have. Umm... lets just say Google everything (if you don't know what they are) and then you can tell if you need it or not. If you still don't know after the Google search, I would suggest you post on this forum for help or just leave it alone.

• Like 1

With modern processors and larger memory, turning off services is not really needed anymore.

IF YOU MUST -- blackviper still maintains a guide.

http://www.blackviper.com/

Just remember-- just because you think you might not need it-- other services may depend on them.

Read about each service before you turn them off...

And I probably would not configure them from there..

try at the run

services.msc[/CODE]

That way it will give you the option of-- on manual start up-- when you click properties...

that is the proper way to enable and disable a service...if you do it from system configuration-- you will a notification in the error log upon each boot... saying that a service has been disabled for each service...and with a manual statup of some services they will start when needed (another process calls upon it)

Though in the system configuration-- it may be wise to check the -"Startup" tab... sometimes for example -- yahoo , google, or adobe likes to startup with the computer-- which will slow it down more than a service checking in to see if it is needed-- most of the time a service starts then stops anywhere from 20-30 seconds during boot to see if it is needed. Which all those run simultaneously.. and some don't start unless other services have started and most of those do not take more than a 1mb at most of memory or 1% of a process.

• Like 1

oops, my bad. check updated post above.

You will note that many of those services listed are not running. So there's no need to disable them. I would recommend checking the box to remove all Microsoft Services and just focus on the other ones. Just remember, you can really mess things up if you start disabling a lot of services. Windows 7 does a pretty good job of running only the ones need to make Windows function properly.

Wow. That's a bunch of crap you have. Umm... lets just say Google everything (if you don't know what they are) and then you can tell if you need it or not. If you still don't know after the Google search, I would suggest you post on this forum for help or just leave it alone.

Wayne, you do realize that not all those services are running, right? The ones that say 'Stopped' aren't running in the background.

You can probably safely turn off the ones that aren't Microsoft. You can disable everything in the "Startup" tab also.

Windows 7 does a good job managing the services it needs, so there's really no reason to force anything. You won't see any gains and you might even make performance worse.

Wayne, you do realize that not all those services are running, right? The ones that say 'Stopped' aren't running in the background.

Yes obviously I do realize it. I'm saying if his PC starts up with those all of those, he should uncheck 'em.

If the ones that says "stopped" didn't they initally run and windows decided to stop them. Therefore, they were running at boot, intially. So if they're disabled in the first place windows won't bother with them. Am I correct?

If the ones that says "stopped" didn't they initally run and windows decided to stop them. Therefore, they were running at boot, intially. So if they're disabled in the first place windows won't bother with them. Am I correct?

Not necessarily. Stopped doesn't meaning they were running but Windows stopped them. It simply means they are not running at present. They may have never started at bootup. But from that you can deduce that Windows knows pretty well that if it doesn't need a service to run, it won't run it. That's why you're better off not messing with the Microsoft Services.

I would recommend checking the box to remove all Microsoft Services and just focus on the other ones.

Exactly!! If you got some fly in your ointment about services that are running -- have a ball playing with the ones that are not part of the OS.. Its quite possible you installed something that is running something in the background you really don't need, etc.

Then again I doubt some background service is causing you much grief on a modern system -- unless you have a **** load of them. Which to be honest I didn't see in your listing. I see a few from your computer maker there, and apple, etc.

I really really would not suggest you dick with any OS services -- there really just is no need. As pointed out most of those are not even running. If you want to turn off services that your computer maker installed, or some 3rd party app installed -- hey have fun, as also suggested I would prob use services.msc directly vs msconfig -- thats fine for troubleshooting if something specific is causing you issues so its very easy to undo, etc. But if you are turning something off permanent then just use services.msc

Grab CCleaner and use the Tools -> Start Up, and it will show you non-os related start up items. There you can disable (not delete) the ones you want to test.

Are you actually having a problem? Or are you stuck in the "I don't NEED this, so I MUST disable/delete it, mode?"

Someone already said this, but wanted to chime in with the "Unless you're computer is slow and you are actively trying to fix it, this will probably do nothing."

And even if it slow, this is a last-resort sort of thing. You should start by uninstalling any programs you don't need, and cleaning up the start-up phase so that you don't have 9,000 programs all trying to run at the very beginning.

If you carefully read over Black Viper's guides, you'd find how some of "convenience" and legacy support services provide certain attack vectors.

Without administrator priveleges most such services cannot be ran/enabled (depending on the setting) and so cannot be exploited (unless malware gains these privileges in some other way).

THanks all for the info!

Indeed, I hid all MS services, and removed ones not needed. I used to startiup with 80 processors, now it's down to 70.