Playstation Vita Thread

Just watched the first couple of minutes from that WipEout footage. It's probably my most anticipated Vita game, but I've been a massive fan of the WipEout franchise for years now, so I'm probably a little biased.

Escape Plan is on my radar, though I haven't committed to purchasing it yet. Everybody seems to say good things about it, so I guess we'll see.

Just watched the first couple of minutes from that WipEout footage. It's probably my most anticipated Vita game, but I've been a massive fan of the WipEout franchise for years now, so I'm probably a little biased.

Escape Plan is on my radar, though I haven't committed to purchasing it yet. Everybody seems to say good things about it, so I guess we'll see.

Same here. I first plan on renting quite a few titles then possibly buying them, but Wipeout is literally right now the only game I have pre-purchased. I am very much looking forward to it. Just seems like it is going to be classic Wipeout, and I have to say I think the gyroscope potentially makes perfect sense on the Vita,. As such I will also no doubt be checking that out as a driving option.

I honestly may have wound up purchasing quite a few more games, but it wound up working out that Rayman, Uncharted, and Hot Shots Golf all release the week before I will have the Vita itself according to Gamefly. So by the time they ship them to me, I should very well have the games before I have the system itself. So it winds up working out perfectly.

In regards to Escape Plan, I am 98% positive I will be picking it up Escape as well. I do think I am going to really like it based on what I have seen, as it does seem to take advantage of the touch controls in a very positive not cheesy manner, however a big part of why I am purchasing it is also me saying that I support those type of games being made for the system itself. As odd as it may sound, I am equally purchasing the game as a show of support so to speak.

The main reason for this decision is I really think where the Vita can shine is the more PSN type experience titles like Escape Plan. $10-$15 good solid games. Like Pixel Junk, Super Stardust, or like a Joe Danger, Etc. Etc.. Then here and there a solid "retail" game like a Wipeout or Uncharted. If they stick to that type of release schedule, I know I will be very satisfied with the purchase.

Bloody hell my brain couldn't even keep up with that video let alone my fingers if I were playing it. I've never been able to get into Wipeout even when it came out on PS1. Might give it a rent though.

Ordered Uncharted and 16Gb card now, Vita is fully paid up. Will probably buy ?100 worth of PSN vouchers now it seems that PS3 and Vita accounts are now merged into SEN. Definately want Escape Plan.

The main reason for this decision is I really think where the Vita can shine is the more PSN type experience titles like Escape Plan. $10-$15 good solid games. Like Pixel Junk, Super Stardust, or like a Joe Danger, Etc. Etc.. Then here and there a solid "retail" game like a Wipeout or Uncharted. If they stick to that type of release schedule, I know I will be very satisfied with the purchase.

Indeed. I have so many PSN games (and XBLA games, for that matter) that I have been itching to play but never actually got around to checking out. The Vita would be the perfect for those "smaller" games like PixelJunk if you just want to get about ten or fifteen minutes in here and there. Sony has expressed interest towards supporting smaller, more independent developers, so hopefully we will see a lot of those kinds of games throughout the Vita's life.

Pretty funny though - EB Games actually shipped my PS Vita charge cradle out yesterday. So in a few days, I should have a charge cradle in my hands that I can stare longingly at, justing waiting for a Vita to drop into it.

I got the chance to try out the Vita in GAME last week. I don't like the shrunken face buttons, but on the bright side, the analog sticks are better than the PSP (let's just hope they don't break as easily, as it looks like they wouldn't be as easy to replace), the screen is amazing, and I am amazed at how light it is! :o I swear it felt even lighter than a DUALSHOCK 3 controller.

I saw one of the members of staff playing Uncharted Golden Abyss; that looked pretty good. And I got to play Everybody's Golf, and Reality Fighters (those were the only games available). Everybody's Golf was alright; played exactly like the PS3 version from what I played (with the exception of being able to control the camera with the back touchpad). And Reality Fighters seems like a nice rival to Nintendo's AR games on the 3DS. :) They didn't have any of the AR cards on them, so just played with them fighting on the till counter. :p

Looks like I'll be definitely getting a PS Vita, but I'm definitely waiting until the price drops by a considerable amount. I'll probably get it once it goes below ?150.

I just did some numbers and it seems like it would cost around $490AUD for a decent Vita start-up. Maybe less

? WiFi Vita - ~ $350

? 16GB Memory Card ~$68

? Golden Abyss ~$68

You might be able to get it a bit cheaper if you shop around.

PlayStation Vita 1.6 Update Adds Video, Map and Mac Support

PlayStation Vita owners can look forward to a major update on February 8. The system's version 1.6 update will be available for download on that date and adds two major features.

Your Home screen will now have a Map app. Open this up, and you'll be able to see your positional information on a map. The map can be viewed with satellite imagery turned on and off. You can also search for walking and driving directions and view details about your current location.

The system's photo app will be updated with the ability to take videos. The app is currently limited to static photos.

As a smaller change, the Home button will now flash blue when you have the Vita hooked up to power.

Separate from the system's firmware, Sony will release a MAC OS version of its Content Management Assistant for PlayStation program. Since the Vita's launch, this has been available only for Windows. The program is required for transferring data between your Vita and computer.

This update will also reflect Sony's previously announced naming change from "PlayStation Network Account" to "Sony Entertainment Network Account." This is just a name change. There's no difference in the service features.

W2tv3.jpg

0Hf2d.jpg

4XDST.jpg

Video recording:

OPDGO.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462080

Okay, I really just purchased the last thing I will be purchasing for the Vita until I have it in my hands.

Anyway, I got the Vita Starter Kit from Amazon.

41HkbblRyyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Includes: 4GB Memory Card, Pocket Pouch, Protective Film, Card Case, Headphones, Cleaning Cloth

I did the math, and one can buy all of the items individually, and not counting the headphones or cleaning cloth (which I really have no use for either unless somehow the headphones are amazing which I am counting on the fact they are not), it basically comes out to the fact that for $5 more (which I am guessing those two items could add up to) you get a free 4GB memory card, which I will use for Misc stuff since I have the 32GB card preordered already.

But I wanted some kind of case for it just to protect it in my house, I like screen protectors personally on my devices (as long as it does not interfere with any of the touch stuff which I am assuming it does not), and I also like having a little case to hold my games and memory cards, which it holds up to 2 memory cards, which is perfect for me.

So that is really it as far as launch Vita stuff I purchase.

Additionally, I purposely ate my lunch at my desk today while still working and I ran to the local Gamestop during my lunch break. Probably should have called first, but sure enough they had a demo unit for the Vita. Checked it out for about 7 minutes. The analog sticks seemd a little odd at first, but got used to them after a minute or two. Display was great as many others have already mentioned, and overall, really liked the feel of it, even with a crazy theft proof chain on it. The one concern I do have is for the games that use the back of it for touch. Not sure how easy that is going to be to use, feel like one would really have to have a pretty crazy grip in order to utilize that touch mechanism. But nothing that I saw made me second guess my preorder at all, which is a good thing as that is why I went to check it out real quick, just to make sure nothing was so bad I no longer wanted it!

I keep trying to find an excuse to take a bus ride to the next town over to have a look at a Vita. The back touch is one of my biggest concerns as I have huge manly hands(!) and it gave me cramps just trying to hold and use the PSP stick, my fingers will want to naturally rest on the back and i dont want to be accidentally activating things in games.

I just did some numbers and it seems like it would cost around $490AUD for a decent Vita start-up. Maybe less

? WiFi Vita - ~ $350

? 16GB Memory Card ~$68

? Golden Abyss ~$68

ouch, that's about $530USD. sorry to hear that!

? WiFi Vita - ~ $350

? 16GB Memory Card ~$68

? Golden Abyss ~$68

ouch, that's about $530USD. sorry to hear that!

Yup. If I import I can get the card and game at around $53-$54 so that would be a little bit of a saving. Hand-held maker are making entry into the hand-held gaming world increasingly more expensive. Seems like a bad idea considering the competition they have from smart phones. Whether they acknowledge that competition or not.

Okay, I really just purchased the last thing I will be purchasing for the Vita until I have it in my hands.

Anyway, I got the Vita Starter Kit from Amazon.

41HkbblRyyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Seems pretty decent. I've seen another starter kit, but it doesn't come with a memory card or headphones.

I keep trying to find an excuse to take a bus ride to the next town over to have a look at a Vita. The back touch is one of my biggest concerns as I have huge manly hands(!) and it gave me cramps just trying to hold and use the PSP stick, my fingers will want to naturally rest on the back and i dont want to be accidentally activating things in games.

Yeah, I am a tad concerned about this as well for sure. Definitely. I was touching the back as I normally would and did not see it messing up the games at all I did demo real quick, so think it will be okay, but seems a bit strange to me I guess. Fear of the unknown maybe, or just fear of my hands getting in the way like you said.

Seems pretty decent. I've seen another starter kit, but it doesn't come with a memory card or headphones.

Yep, only $39.99. Actually a pretty decent deal all things considering. Most of those things cost them next to nothing to manufacture though, but still, a decent bundle when compared to everything priced individually for sure. That's what made me say screw it and pick it up.

Had another go on the Vita yesterday, and after the "honeymoon period" of the first try, I've started to come to the realisation that I probably won't end up getting one. The controls are too small for me, and the thumbsticks just don't feel right at all. Also, of all the games I played, none of them ran at 60FPS, not even WipEout 2048, which I was hoping for, as that's what you get in WipEout HD/Fury, and it becomes a huge part of the immersion of the game. I'll probably just stick to my iPhone (and possibly my HP TouchPad too) for gaming on the go, unless Sony release an "XL" version...

Yep, only $39.99. Actually a pretty decent deal all things considering. Most of those things cost them next to nothing to manufacture though, but still, a decent bundle when compared to everything priced individually for sure. That's what made me say screw it and pick it up.

I wonder what kind of quality the headphones are. I can't imagine they'd be that great.

I wonder what kind of quality the headphones are. I can't imagine they'd be that great.

Yeah I'd pretty much expect them to be garbage though I imagine most people here probably have a decent pair they'd use anyways (though I guess that defeats the purpose of bundling them to begin with). I checked out the starter pack a little while back but I think I'm going to just end up getting a case for it so I can toss it in my bag without worrying. Keeping stopping by the local Gamestop hoping they'd have a demo unit but nothing so far, though now that I think of it I'm sure it's probably just the ones at the malls that got the demo units.

I would imagine they are about the same quality one gets with the iPod, meaning they are absolute crap. They actually offer an in-ear set they say are just for the Vita for $20, and these are not those, so yeah, I am pretty much going to throw them in the drawer I have my 4 pairs of white apple headphones in and only use them if somehow my 2 nice pairs of headphones go bust.

Had another go on the Vita yesterday, and after the "honeymoon period" of the first try, I've started to come to the realisation that I probably won't end up getting one. The controls are too small for me, and the thumbsticks just don't feel right at all. Also, of all the games I played, none of them ran at 60FPS, not even WipEout 2048, which I was hoping for, as that's what you get in WipEout HD/Fury, and it becomes a huge part of the immersion of the game. I'll probably just stick to my iPhone (and possibly my HP TouchPad too) for gaming on the go, unless Sony release an "XL" version...

While I am also pretty sure none of the games were running at 60 FPS (actually according to reports Mortal Kombat does run at 60 fps), I did not notice a single issue with the frame rate at all on any games, like never even crossed my mind, and I am pretty obsessed with that side of things and also easily notice if there is a lower than normal frame rate. So I am pretty confident that is is no doubt a steady 30fps, which leads me to ask...

Do you generally not play any games on the console either? As it is not like 60fps is a guarantee on the consoles either. I would say at best 50% of games on the consoles actually run at 60fps, and I would say that is being pretty damn generous.. Also, I doubt all that many games with halfway decent graphics are running at a constant 60 fps on the iPhone either. In fact I am pretty sure I recall reading Infinity Blade 2 on an iPad actually runs at around 25fps. But hey, if it is something you felt the need to point out on the Vita as some horrible issue yet either of the current generation of consoles or any iOS device is constantly churning out 60FPS, I am sure you have your reasons.