Regulate sugar like alcohol & tobacco?

Link....

Societal Control of Sugar Essential to Ease Public Health Burden, Experts Urge

ScienceDaily (Feb. 1, 2012) ? Sugar should be controlled like alcohol and tobacco to protect public health, according to a team of UCSF researchers, who maintain in a new report that sugar is fueling a global obesity pandemic, contributing to 35 million deaths annually worldwide from non-communicable diseases like diabetes, heart disease and cancer.

Non-communicable diseases now pose a greater health burden worldwide than infectious diseases, according to the United Nations. In the United States, 75 percent of health care dollars are spent treating these diseases and their associated disabilities.

In the Feb. 2 issue of Nature, Robert Lustig MD, Laura Schmidt PhD, MSW, MPH, and Claire Brindis, DPH, colleagues at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), argue that sugar's potential for abuse, coupled with its toxicity and pervasiveness in the Western diet make it a primary culprit of this worldwide health crisis.

This partnership of scientists trained in endocrinology, sociology and public health took a new look at the accumulating scientific evidence on sugar. Such interdisciplinary liaisons underscore the power of academic health sciences institutions like UCSF.

Sugar, they argue, is far from just "empty calories" that make people fat. At the levels consumed by most Americans, sugar changes metabolism, raises blood pressure, critically alters the signaling of hormones and causes significant damage to the liver -- the least understood of sugar's damages. These health hazards largely mirror the effects of drinking too much alcohol, which they point out in their commentary is the distillation of sugar.

Worldwide consumption of sugar has tripled during the past 50 years and is viewed as a key cause of the obesity epidemic. But obesity, Lustig, Schmidt and Brindis argue, may just be a marker for the damage caused by the toxic effects of too much sugar. This would help explain why 40 percent of people with metabolic syndrome -- the key metabolic changes that lead to diabetes, heart disease and cancer -- are not clinically obese.

"As long as the public thinks that sugar is just 'empty calories,' we have no chance in solving this," said Lustig, a professor of pediatrics, in the division of endocrinology at the UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital and director of the Weight Assessment for Teen and Child Health (WATCH) Program at UCSF.

>

Agreed on the anti-regulatory sentiments.

Being diabetic and an iced tea drinker my sweetening needs are met nicely by stevia (steviol glycoside) extracts; 40-300 times sweeter than sugar and zero glycemic response.

Agreed on the anti-regulatory sentiments.

Being diabetic and an iced tea drinker my sweetening needs are met nicely by stevia (steviol glycoside) extracts; 40-300 times sweeter than sugar and zero glycemic response.

I have been a diabetic (Type I) since I was three an half years old (1950) and this is the first I have heard of this product. Found a website that sells it so I will give it a try. At present and for at least twenty years I have been using Spanda, and prior to that whatever my doctor would recommend. So Doc I am going to give your recommentation a try. . .the doctor is always right. . . :)

Once I hear about people driving cars into innocent people because they have a sugar high, or that them drinking sugar filled drinks and me sitting near them will directly cause me harm. I fail to see how it should be controled like Alchol and Tobacco.

I have been a diabetic (Type I) since I was three an half years old (1950) and this is the first I have heard of this product. Found a website that sells it so I will give it a try. At present and for at least twenty years I have been using Spanda, and prior to that whatever my doctor would recommend. So Doc I am going to give your recommentation a try. . .the doctor is always right. . . :)

Look on the shelf at your local store (probably right next to your Splenda), you'll probably see some type of Stevia product. They are usually in some type of green box. I know I've seen it at Walmart and some local grocery stores.

Look on the shelf at your local store (probably right next to your Splenda), you'll probably see some type of Stevia product. They are usually in some type of green box. I know I've seen it at Walmart and some local grocery stores.

My local store carries very little when it comes to health care products. You see I live at 7650 ft up in the Sawtooth Mts. of central Idaho, and about all we get is the usual necessaties of life (milk, bread, candy, packaged donuts, etc., you know all that high sugar stuff outdoor sports nuts need to get their engery levels up).

@Pam-

Splenda etc actually cause my glucose levels to spike, so that was out. Stevia does not. Not even a blip.

The liquids are generally 1 drop = ~1 tsp of sugar, so a 2-4 oz bottle goes a long way and is very portable. The powder I use is 'Stevia in the Raw,' which comes in a green bag and is a volume for volume equivalent for sugar. In the Midwest the Meijer's hypermarkets carry it.

Using them, the Lantus time release insulin analog, and sensible choices I was able to get my out of control (level: 300+) glucose levels under control in 4 months, and now my morning level averages 90.

This wouldn't work as it is a bad way of solving the root problem. The reason sugar is playing such a major role is not a surprise. We're biologically preconditioned to seek out sugar and capitalism is designed to give us the things we desire.

Everything is working properly... Except we have easy access to things like sugar.

So we have to find a way to replace sugar with good alternatives and use education to convince people to switch. Regulation that just bans or severely limits sugar won't solve that root problem.

• Like 1

High Fructose Corn Syrup is what is causing obesity.I use raw sugar everyday ,and I'm surely not over wieght.

News flash: 'regular' sugar, raw sugar etc. are all disaccharides - a mix of glucose and fructose. Soon as it hits your small intestine it splits into its constituents and you still get a big slug of fructose, just as if you had eaten HFCS.

LOL

Uhm, control complex much?

pfff... I'm pro liberty!

I wouldn't swing the flag for "small government" in every occasion, although often, but here - definitely yes!

On a funny side note:

I drink at least 1 to 1.5 liters of Coke a day... :p

Any health problems? No.

Been doing that for years now.

The good thing is, I eat LOTS of cheese, hence my bones don't suffer. (there are ways how you can tell yourself you got enough calcium)

Also, I rarely drink coffee - in case anyone is about to mention I get too much caffeine.

Oh boy, and did I tell you that I can eat LOTS of food and don't gain weight?

All this evens out the most known direct risks of "plenty of coke".

I'm doing fine and in case any govt were to have a say in my life about how it wants to protect me from doing my own decisions in matters like these, I'd give them the finger...

Prohibition-style! :laugh:

Glassed Silver:win

High Fructose Corn Syrup is what is causing obesity.I use raw sugar everyday ,and I'm surely not over wieght.

this this this this this. Them trying to regulate without making this important distinction is ludicrous. Ban HFCS, but not sugar altogether.

/sigh/

you can't avoid fructose without avoiding sugar altogether! See my previous post. The supposed effects of HFCS are not proven, but they have sold a lot of books. Do the math.

HFCS isnt any worse then cane sugar...

Tell that to the obesity numbers of America. Pretty sure HFCS isn't use anywhere else in the world? It doesn't prove that's the cause but it should raise an eyebrow.

If you regulate sugar (sucrose) then will bread prices rocket?

I use honey for my tea, the rest of the family use brown sugar (Billingtons) for theirs.

We don't like the taste of white bleached processed sugar.

I personally think governments should allow smoking, taking drugs, people drinking etc.

They should not tax it.

Sell the drugs themselves and supermarkets and other retailers the rest and watch as people stop using the products.

The government will make sure health warnings are on the products however will not fund any re-hab centres to get people off their addictions.

You live by the sword you die by the sword.

This will also cut the crime rates as 90% of crime is drug related in Britain.

I do not smoke, or drink or take non-medicinal drugs.

I also believe bans in certain areas for the above use should also be valid with huge fines for those that will not adhere to the rules and laws.

No usage in public, or in schools, the work place or sports centres etc... Mainly only in their own homes.

In Britain in the 1970's 50% of all over 15's were smokers, now it is around 35%.

So progress has been made, but it would be quicker if you didn't force people.