Five Reasons why Windows 8 will be dead on arrival

Reason why it will at least sell a reasonable amount: It will come with all new PC's post-release.

• Like 2

Oh look, this a new record for Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols. This is the worst he has written.

A lot of points he make doesn't even make sense. Saying there is no improvement...other OS have had it for years...Interface is not for PC...we know nothing about Office's interface.

I agree. We really cannot rely on a person who in the past has made it clear he hates Microsoft and it's agenda. I prefer Linux, but I will not bash them like a lot of ppl do.

Metro is here to stay. Period.

You guys can argue all you want.

But its here to stay

I agree. Metro is integral to Windows 8, and after all the development put into it, I cannot see Microsoft pulling it.

As for this article, there really isn't much to say about it. I cannot take it seriously.

• Like 3

Total tosh! Sorry but even when a version of Windows isnt well met, it stills sells by the shed load and get adopted en-mass.

Hate these articles, had the same with xp, same with vista, same with 7. Have any of them actually been massive commercial failures? No.

Point in case.

• Like 3

When Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols opens his mouth about Microsoft, the only thing I can say is: Hilarious.

I find his posts to be funny enough to be posted. This way, ppl who are not aquainted with his anti-Microsoft agenda, can see how blatantly ludicrous his writings are.

I find it funny, how if anyone bashes metro, people jump all over it. Yet if someone praises it, everyone pats them on the back. Metro/Tiles is about as useful as a screen full of rectangles and squares of different colors that really don't help me in any way.

• Like 3

Although I like metro (coming from a guy who started with windows 3.1) I think it nothing but Vista 2.0. It will be a stepping stone for the next big OS coming from MS; it?s nothing but a beta test.

I will surely try metro but skip on buying it, why cause as the article said I have yet to see any major difference between Windows 7 and Windows Metro (casual user perspective). If there are any difference please let me know, cause I?ve tested the for pre-alpha and will be testing the beta version too but I didn?t find anything that Windows 7 couldn?t do.

I?ve also been watching the developer?s video and most of them are minor improvement except the ReFS (which I?m hoping it makes it to client system).

I find it funny, how if anyone bashes metro, people jump all over it. Yet if someone praises it, everyone pats them on the back. Metro/Tiles is about as useful as a screen full of rectangles and squares of different colors that really don't help me in any way.

There's a word for that which is banned here, but I think you can guess what it is. I'm not one of those people; my wife bought me a big ass 27" iMac which is collecting dust here. I would never let go of windows but that doesn't mean I wouldn't point out the failure.

Here's the fun part. Windows 7 and Vista were pretty similar and yet while one failed, the other was successful, so it's really hard to say if Windows 8 will fail or succeed.

• Like 1

i have to agree w/ #1. i still cant think of any reason i'll need to upgrade from 7. i havent found one new feature that has wow'd me.

#2 and #3 are also true. Metro looks terrible. and where are the windows 8 applications? we're 6mo from launch...

• Like 3

I am taking it OP has not been to the CES2012. There was not many people that were displeased with the Metro UI. Windows 8 is going to be a success.

• Like 2

and where are the windows 8 applications? we're 6mo from launch...

Yes, we're 6 months from launch. 6 months. From launch. 6 months. From when people will actually be buying them in large numbers. Why would they be all finished and done 6 months before launch?

You can make a good, high quality application in as little as a week, upto a month, maybe up to 3-4 months for the larger beasts. (Excluding the giant productivity suites here).

I'm critical of Windows 8, and yet I found this post to be an outlandish, pageview-whoring piece. Despite my criticisms about the OS, I still think it's idiotic to label it DOA.

My primary concern with Windows 8 is this: Metro really doesn't belong on the desktop (non-touch) form factor. It's awkward and jarring to essentially switch between two user interfaces on a regular basis. And on ARM tablets, legacy applications and the legacy desktop really don't belong, even if in a limited, restricted form (i.e if the Office team are too lazy to create a proper Metro suite.)

It's hard to imagine that this OS will fare well in the enterprise setting, nor will normal users be happy when they discover that the start orb is missing.

• Like 2

I am taking it OP has not been to the CES2012. There was not many people that were displeased with the Metro UI. Windows 8 is going to be a success.

Heres what MS trying to do with windows 8,

post-30626-0-26590100-1328637836.jpg

I'm critical of Windows 8, and yet I found this post to be an outlandish, pageview-whoring piece. Despite my criticisms about the OS, I still think it's idiotic to label it DOA.

My primary concern with Windows 8 is this: Metro really doesn't belong on the desktop (non-touch) form factor. It's awkward and jarring to essentially switch between two user interfaces on a regular basis. And on ARM tablets, legacy applications and the legacy desktop really don't belong, even if in a limited, restricted form (i.e if the Office team are too lazy to create a proper Metro suite.)

It's hard to imagine that this OS will fare well in the enterprise setting, nor will normal users be happy when they discover that the start orb is missing.

Agree 110%.

• Like 2

I don't see Windows 8 being a big success, Windows users don't like to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading (as we saw with Vista). Most people just moved to Win7 and I think they'll stay there at least until Win9

Heres what MS trying to do with windows 8,

post-30626-0-26590100-1328637836.jpg

The Start Screen is more like a combination of Dashboard and an app launcher.

Actually its not that much different than Dashboard, except Dashboard functioning as the main OS menu.

• Like 1

LOL, they lost me completely when they tried to draw a connection between Brandon Watson leaving Windows Phone and Windows 8... What a ridiculous post.

Bringing up Watson's departure is a valid point, though for something opposite of what they likely were insinuating.

There's a theory that, over time, the Windows and Windows Phone teams will begin to converge. Sinofsky's team would essentially swallow up the Windows Phone team, and Watson didn't see much of a career future in this scenario and resigned. Just some speculation anyway.

personally with how successful Windows 7 is on Desktop market i can't really see Windows 8 being that successful in that dept if the past says anything as there is a general pattern...

Windows 98 = Success

Windows ME = Failure

Windows XP = Success

Windows Vista = Failure

Windows 7 = Success

Windows 8 = Failure? (but based on that general pattern it's probably going to be 'failure' espescially on Desktop market as i can't see people rushing out to buy it like they did with Windows 7. plus it's not really been that long since Windows 7 was first released either as not much in the PC world has chaged since then and going from Windows Xp to Windows 7 was a pretty big all around gap unlike Windows 7 to Windows 8 which is pretty much a small upgrade overall from the looks of things)

p.s. personally from what little i do know about Windows 8 is the reduced RAM use vs Windows 7 is about the only thing that has my interest in it.

personally with how successful Windows 7 is on Desktop market i can't really see Windows 8 being that successful in that dept if the past says anything as there is a general pattern...

Windows 98 = Success

Windows ME = Failure

Windows XP = Success

Windows Vista = Failure

Windows 7 = Success

Windows 8 = Failure? (but based on that general pattern it's probably going to be 'failure' espescially on Desktop market as i can't see people rushing out to buy it like they did with Windows 7. plus it's not really been that long since Windows 7 was first released either as not much in the PC world has chaged since then and going from Windows Xp to Windows 7 was a pretty big all around gap unlike Windows 7 to Windows 8 which is pretty much a small upgrade overall from the looks of things)

p.s. personally from what little i do know about Windows 8 is the reduced RAM use vs Windows 7 is about the only thing that has my interest in it.

Where?s Windows 2000 ? Doesn?t that screw up your prediction a little bit ? ;)

Well, with all the Windows 8 fiasco that I see around on the web, I'm glad to be a Mac user.

Lion has seen a lot of improvements since its release and is now in nearly perfect form.

I don?t have to worry about the next Mac OS X being good or bad before 2014? I must admit that I am not a fan of the Metro interface, but I am glad that Microsoft became creative with it all of a sudden.

Lo Tec does have some good points, though. He pretty much summed up my thoughts in this thread. Granted, I've only tested out the Developer Preview for a brief time, but I wasn't left impressed. I know, it was just a "Developer Preview", and I'll no doubt test out the Consumer Preview, and probably even the betas and RC's (if available). I just got the feeling that Metro was already obsolete and I seen absolutely no reason why I would use it. The point of a computer is so you can multi task easily -- something that can't be done on most tablets, smartphones, and consoles. Metro completely kills that versatility. Sure, you can drag the edge of the screen to toggle between the desktop view and other applications open in Metro, but why would you do that when you can easily toggle between as many applications as you want through the desktop with a single click rather than clicking and dragging to "cycle" between apps?

Metro is not Windows. It's just some shady app Microsoft came up with to try to make the operating system feel more in line with today's technology, and it does nothing but take a step backwards. I wish all the apps I used for school weren't Windows based, or I'd switch to Mac OS X Lion full time. And virtualization isn't an option for me, because I absolutely despise emulation.

• Like 3

Where?s Windows 2000 ? Doesn?t that screw up your prediction a little bit ? ;)

not really considering that was never targeted at the average joe user like the ones i mentioned where ;)

p.s. i know many used it anyways on their home PC's but like i was saying it was never meant for the average joe user at home to use it even though obviously it still worked well there.