Five Reasons why Windows 8 will be dead on arrival

All of these naysayers are technophile elitists who praise their own technical prowess over what is good for the masses.

The very thought of giving up their icons, or at the very least, having a novice computer user navigate with the simplicity they find in todays systems scares the bejeesus out of them.

Oh no, I can't feel superior to the next guy because we can both operate the device with the same proficiency.

What features am I looking forward to in Win8?

Storage Spaces!!!!!

This seems like the successor to the ill-fated Drive Extender technology that was dropped from Windows Home Server, resurfaced as a Desktop feature!

Now I won't have to span my 12TB of videos over 8 drive letters and have to rely on the weak 'library' implementation of Windows 7.

I can have 1 drive for video, and it can have all my disks.

The Metro Apps. Metro apps are not large flat icons, they are alive with information. It is because of this I envison momentary glances to the start screen to get updated on all the things I care about.

I also imagine writing Metro wrappers to my favorite line of business softwares and utilize the charm infrastructure to share data between apps.

I can take inventory from my ERP system to my CRM system with ease in Metro.

I don't need to wait on my Information Systems department to put a multi-year multi-million dollar project together which fulfills the goal of a few less clicks, or less copy paste.

Right now the heavey PC users in my business do not even know how to copy/paste between multiple systems.

This is primarily due to the heterogeneous nature of our business. We have terminal emulators, Unix based systems, Java systems, and Windows.

If I can eliminate all of that with a few metro apps that allow my business users to interact with concepts THEY care about, customers, inventory, booking calendars in a meaningful way, then it's a huge win for the business.

I'm sick and tired of all of you asshats out there who just don't get it.

I hope for the love of all that is human, that YOUR IT departments do not VALUE your INPUT.

Windows 8 is the first major step toward realizing that MOST individuals do not 'get computers'.

And why should they?

I have very little knowledge of an internal combustion engine, yet I have a car and drivers licence. They suit me fine.

Taking this analogy back to technology, NO ONE in the USER space should ever NEED to care about the why, and just focus on the what.

You elitist douchebags have your time limited. Microsoft will win and make Operating Systems for the masses.

Windows has always tried to be, for the masses, and failed over the years in various aspects. This is the correction point.

You are my hero :)

I could not have said it better

People here feel MS should be developing the next OS just for them and forget that there's a bunch of people out there that really don't get along with pc's as easy as most people on this site do.

For those people Win8 will be a relief

We shall see won?t we? I believe with the pathetic sales of Windows Phone and when Windows 8 will not sell to expectation, we shall see another shift in Microsoft's strategy.

The good news is if you are a fanboy, any shift Microsoft does, you will not be disappointed so cheers.

However if you indeed like Metro, you might be in for a disappointment. I can?t wait for Windows 8 OS to be released and the lack luster tablets to be released. We already know that Windows Phone is not selling what further proof do you need that Metro is just ugly and unusable? I guess the trifecta of disappointing sales might just have to serve as your wake up call.

Ugly and unusable?

That's why it just got another award right???

People here feel MS should be developing the next OS just for them and forget that there's a bunch of people out there that really don't get along with pc's as easy as most people on this site do.

For those people Win8 will be a relief

So basically this is MS dumbing down windows.

Ugly and unusable?

That's why it just got another award right???

Congratulations, you get an award for most brilliant comment. Ah, but it means nothing now doesn't it?

So Windows Phone gets an award but the sales are pathetic. Please educate me how an award is much better than sales?

So basically this is MS dumbing down windows.

Nope, all the raw power that the 'power users' like is still there and easy accessible, but for what 90% of the people at home use windows it's just made easier to use.

One nice looking start screen with all the apps that they need no more chrome around the app that might confuse people, easy switching and sharing between apps, people will get introduced to a lot more safe apps in the Windows store,....

I can't understand why people would say Win8 will fail

windows 7 was everyone's idea.... windows 8 is microsoft's idea.

Windows 8 was my idea (while I was on halucinigenics). Trippy, duuuude.

I don't think Win 8 is going to be a Vista - it's definitely going to be a better "developed" and "polished" release than Vista. It's competition will be Win 7 and perhaps it's biggest challenge is getting users to adapt and get used to using a departure of the more or less traditional windows interface for almost the past 20 years. Hardware and software compatability should be fine as it's core is more similar to Win 7 than Vista was to XP. Do I like Metro? Yes and it was changes that had to be done but they are going to have to sell the interface to business and home users in a massive-adaptation sort of way.

Congratulations, you get an award for most brilliant comment. Ah, but it means nothing now doesn't it?

So Windows Phone gets an award but the sales are pathetic. Please educate me how an award is much better than sales?

You said it was unusable and ugly, that's what i commented on.

Sales have nothing to do with design and usability .

Actually the cloud helps to drive the need for that - if I have a Facebook app that is registered as having consumable photos with Windows as well as a Twitter app that is registered as a consumer of photos - I can use the Share charm to pull a friends photo from their Facebook feed and post it with a comment to Twitter without having to open the one app first, save it to my hard drive, and then browse out to that location from the other app. Local storage gets less and less important - and the two apps do not have to be coded to understand each other. It is exactly the kind of thing I would expect the Operating System of the future to enable.

Well, I somewhat see what you are saying, but in the opposite direction. The future shouldn't need much of an operating system outside of web standards. Security either exists in a cloud environment or does not, and with levels of access and security types within the cloud system itself, it should not be any more of a problem than what banks use today. Bandwidth is a problem for the business world now yes, but should it be any more of a problem than everyone using their cell phones at some point? I would think that shared resources will only continue to evolve and grow eventually together, so what would shared resources in a cloud type environment of the future look like, more hardware and software, or less? I think MS already knows this, but it's not easy to change and support what they have in place now, and well they sell software.

Nope, all the raw power that the 'power users' like is still there and easy accessible, but for what 90% of the people at home use windows it's just made easier to use.

One nice looking start screen with all the apps that they need no more chrome around the app that might confuse people, easy switching and sharing between apps, people will get introduced to a lot more safe apps in the Windows store,....

I can't understand why people would say Win8 will fail

I dont think there was that big of an issue with knowing how windows works as you make it out to be. Maybe 10 yrs ago but not much anymore. The older generations would seemingly have bigger issues then the younger ones and windows has been around long enough now for many of the older ones to pick up now. Dont forget one of MS's biggest users is business and businesses wont be using metro.

Again I have yet to see a reason to use Metro, granted I know my way around windows but an entire screen dedicated launching apps just seems like a waste.

You said it was unusable and ugly, that's what i commented on.

Sales have nothing to do with design and usability .

Oh I see what you mean.

I went into the store, played with Windows Phone. I found it sucks because the design sucks and it is not as usable. I didn't buy it.

Well, I somewhat see what you are saying, but in the opposite direction. The future shouldn't need much of an operating system outside of web standards. Security either exists in a cloud environment or does not, and with levels of access and security types within the cloud system itself, it should not be any more of a problem than what banks use today. Bandwidth is a problem for the business world now yes, but should it be any more of a problem than everyone using their cell phones at some point? I would think that shared resources will only continue to evolve and grow eventually together, so what would shared resources in a cloud type environment of the future look like, more hardware and software, or less? I think MS already knows this, but it's not easy to change and support what they have in place now, and well they sell software.

People do more than browse the web and look at/edit documents you know...

Oh I see what you mean.

I went into the store, played with Windows Phone. I found it sucks because the design sucks and it is not as usable. I didn't buy it.

Which is hilarious because it's won multiple awards for how great the user interface is.

Which is hilarious because it's won multiple awards for how great the user interface is.

Doesn't matter what reviewers say. What really matters is sales and sales aren't that great.

...but an entire screen dedicated launching apps just seems like a waste.

Well the other thing it's supposed to do is show constantly updated information from the app, without requiring the user to actually open and look at the application. Although, I realize that's nothing new either, as such a thing has long been possible through the notification area.

Awards don't sell phones. THAT IS MY POINT!!!

I'll give you an award for smartest person. There you have it. But it doesn't mean a thing. Just like Windows Phone getting awards and sales are PATHETIC!

thing is golden corral has bad reviews and they are still in business and apperantly doing well (even though they're really gross)

And so what if icons are live. If you are really that hard up to know exactly when someone liked your facebook page, then clearly you need to unplug for a bit.

it's more about time sensitive information.

It's like being an air traffic controller every time I press the windows key, and then back to sudoku and my facebook updates.

Well the other thing it's supposed to do is show constantly updated information from the app, without requiring the user to actually open and look at the application. Although, I realize that's nothing new either, as such a thing has long been possible through the notification area.

Which is kind of pointless that you need a page up dedicated to either launch or viewing notifications. I think I read that the avg user spend 80-90% of their time on the computer browsing. So basically you keep the page up waiting for notifications, talk about retarded. If people want notifications, there are other simpler means to that.

Some reasons I will be buying Windows 8 (yes really I pay for my copy of windows)

1. It's faster than Windows 7
  2. I can repair my PC without formating it
  3. Has a build in antivirus which is better than previous versions (not to mention i am already happy with MS Security Essentials)
  4. Has Hyper-V 3.0 so I can run my development VMs from my workstation
  5. It synchronises my profile and settings to skydrive meaning I dont have to reconfigure every time i change pc/device
  6. Has native support for my USB 3.0 motherboard (plus other modern peripherals)
  7. Gets rid of the start menu (Wished it was gone back when Vista was coming out since it outlived its usefuleness)
  8. HTML5 Apps supported natively meaning that I dont even have to compile my code anymore
  9. I like the touch interface (will be getting two touch monitors for this)
  10. ****es off some of my friends who insist i switch to Linux
  11. I can have a proper business tablet with handwriting recognition, cloud storage and office! (I take all my notes in onenote so the idea of not taking the laptop with me at customers is very attractive)

12. **** off all the people out there who think it'll fail. :shifty:

13. You can mount ISOs natively.

14. OS level spellcheck

it's more about time sensitive information.

It's like being an air traffic controller every time I press the windows key, and then back to sudoku and my facebook updates.

facebook updates are not time sensitive type information. If you truly are worried about info like that, you would sit there pressing f5 till your page updated or set notifications in other manners. Again a life is needed is FB updates are that important. You dont need a dedicated screen for notifications, period.

I must say Windows 8 seems to be a major flop in the water... Lets face it most people want a PC OS not some dumb **** OS for tablets when no one in the specs of things even own a tablet.. Windows 8 will be a major fail and end up making MS file bankruptcy.. I really do not see MS lasting past Windows 8 if they have it as it is now or even close to what it is..

For professional users, it is faster and has better classic GUI that Windows 7.

For pads, it is a good change from the Union of IPAD Apple republics.

For everyone else, it is simpler while still doing everything useful like surfing the web and shows off less vectors of getting infected.

what I keep wanting to know is for those that don't like Windows 8, explain what you would have done differently from Windows 7.

Windows 7 is about as feature complete as you can get for a modern day desktop OS. There isn't much else that Microsoft can do with that side of Windows except evolve it for the future.

The future of computing is heading towards touch regardless of what some might say on here. And of course if Microsoft were just to release the immersive metro side of Windows as a separate Windows for tablets people would still fuss at Microsoft fragmenting the market