Five Reasons why Windows 8 will be dead on arrival

No? all versions of windows thus far kept the traditional desktop experience, which is common sense, and has developed into what it is for a reason. Not a mobile touch UI.

and i bet in a year we'll see the opposite, You'll be using windows 7 along with the rest of us.

I hate to say it buddy, but the "traditional" desktop is going away even on Apple and Linux. If you think we'll have that back again a few years down the line, I'd be betting against you.

• Like 1

Can you really see yourself sitting at a desktop with your arms constantly in the air touching the screen on your computer? isnt comfortable, or intuitive whats so ever.

I get tired just using my touchpad :p

you are right on that.... touch makes you tired after long use but the traditional desktop is not going away anytime soon.. I hope not :)

Can you really see yourself sitting at a desktop with your arms constantly in the air touching the screen on your computer? isnt comfortable, or intuitive whats so ever.

I get tired just using my touchpad :p

You can still use a keyboard and mouse with Windows 8, nothing precludes you from still doing so. I see touch and keyboard/mouse coexisting together, for example swiping to go back a page in a browser. Both inputs would be complementary, not exclusive to each other.

• Like 1

Like it or not desktop pc are getting to be smaller and smaller subset of the market. If you look at AMD road map it is focused on Tablet/Latop Market and Server market. Windows 8 is built for that world. Things are changing you better get used to it.

• Like 1

The way I see it, Windows 7 was the "the end of an era". Microsoft, with Windows 8, is moving into a new direction, a different direction, but a direction that, in the long run, has huge potential. Obviously, nobody likes or gets used easily to changes, but Windows 8, for those that see what Microsoft is trying to build, will be great. There's also a lot of benefits for developers, not only for people like you and me. The average user will moan and argue that Windows 8 sucks, Metro sucks, etc. As always. But we'll see what happens when Windows 8 is out and those people try it and get used to it. ;)

• Like 2

Yes, we're 6 months from launch. 6 months. From launch. 6 months. From when people will actually be buying them in large numbers. Why would they be all finished and done 6 months before launch?

You can make a good, high quality application in as little as a week, upto a month, maybe up to 3-4 months for the larger beasts. (Excluding the giant productivity suites here).

my point is, developers/companies/people were not prepared in time for Vista's launch and we know how that turned out. Vista took all the blame.

Actually yes, every major update to Windows is met with hold-outs who shun the new version and wag their fingers fitfully at changes they've personally deemed unnecessary. Windows 95 had people changing the shell to progman.exe, Windows XP had people accusing it of just being a Fisher Price GUI on top of Windows 2000 and they'd rather stick with 2k, Vista was bloated and they were going to stick to XP, and now 8 is taking away their precious program manager again Start menu.

You may not have been as interested in operating systems over the last 20 years as you may feel you are today, but really, this attitude about metro is IDENTICAL to the attitude that has met every major release of Windows from the beginning.

Hell, even the launch of the first version of Windows NT, despite the massive revolutionary changes and progress made by its development, was criticized for not being 100% backwards compatible with DOS applications and accused of throwing away what consumers were used to. And THAT had the exact same GUI as Windows 3.1.

Shhh Joshie, you're bringing logic to the arguement :p

I'm willing to give windows 8 a shot again in the later months. Some things about Server 8 interest me like the storage features...also.. anxious to see how they've done with thier hyper-v and what improvements they've made to it.

it may be really good for an HTPC or tablet... but Im hesitant on the desktop end.

If the Metro UI is optional, I will use probably use Win8. But is there really a good reason when we have Win7? As others have stated here, if Win8 brings something new to the table that Win7 cannot accomplish(as if that could happen.), then I will jump off the Win7 bandwagon.

Metro UI is the worst thing for a desktop environment. To the others saying that the desktop is on it's way out, I say BAH!

• Like 2

Shhh Joshie, you're bringing logic to the arguement :p

It's all just so silly. All the backends and runtimes in the world can be evolved and changed and improved, but:

1) If the GUI doesn't change much at all, hold-outs throw their hands up and demand to know why they should spend money upgrading to something "no different" from what they already have.

2) If the GUI changes to ANY degree, hold-outs throw their hands up and demand to know why they should give up what they're used to.

All the arguments and reasons aside, hold-outs always exist, and always seem to exist in similar numbers. Sometimes they're just much more vocal about the sand in their pants, and they impact the opinions of others. Worst case scenario, it becomes TRENDY to dislike a product, and then logic, arguments, and reasoning become completely irrelevant. All that matters is a bomb squad says they're using Vista and Moss shouts "We're going to die!!!"

• Like 2

I am not bothered about the metro. All i care about is its features and security.

I am sold on that. metro is for tablet and if you don't want to use it on desktop dont use it.

If the Metro UI is optional, I will use probably use Win8. But is there really a good reason when we have Win7? As others have stated here, if Win8 brings something new to the table that Win7 cannot accomplish(as if that could happen.), then I will jump off the Win7 bandwagon.

Metro UI is the worst thing for a desktop environment. To the others saying that the desktop is on it's way out, I say BAH!

Windows 7 is 100% incapable of WinRT. It also pales in comparison to Windows 8's new task and memory management system.

Metro will be epic for HTPC and GAMING PC.. because it's more Device looking than just a bunch of ICON on a LCD TV. I hope Steam does a Metro Version of their interface..that would be awsome for my gaming PC.

As i understand, Windows 8 will have the option to install with classic mode for entreprise use.. personnally we (at work) use a Virtual Desktop in windows XP, so the version of Windows we have doesn't change a thing..

my point is, developers/companies/people were not prepared in time for Vista's launch and we know how that turned out. Vista took all the blame.

The drivers weren't read for Vista, not necessarily just the programs. But, seeing as 8 runs mostly the same driver & application models as Vista did, there shouldn't be that much of a similar problem. The Metro side of hte Windows Store probably won't have 50,000 applications at launch, but there's certainly a whole host of desktop apps that can be readily listed in there.

Metro will be epic for HTPC and GAMING PC.. because it's more Device looking than just a bunch of ICON on a LCD TV. I hope Steam does a Metro Version of their interface..that would be awsome for my gaming PC.

As i understand, Windows 8 will have the option to install with classic mode for entreprise use.. personnally we (at work) use a Virtual Desktop in windows XP, so the version of Windows we have doesn't change a thing..

Steam can already be styled to look like a Metro application, it even has a bit of a Metro feel in its current state.

But it cannot be ported to WinRT unless they seriously recode everything. Afaik, a Metro application cannot have more than one exe. Can somebody confirm or correct this?

Steam can already be styled to look like a Metro application, it even has a bit of a Metro feel in its current state.

But it cannot be ported to WinRT unless they seriously recode everything. Afaik, a Metro application cannot have more than one exe. Can somebody confirm or correct this?

Metro apps are paused when being in the background/reduced. Steam as is it ATM would be a massive failure on metro.

BTW how is this thread still open ? It's cleary a huge troll and OP deserve a sanction imo.

This is just so like the whole MW2 on Steam fiasco.

Before its released "WAAAAAHHH SO BADD NOT GONNA BUY BLAHHHA!!!!!111levenSHIFT+1!"

Then the day its released.......

"OMFG MORE MW2 PC STEAM NAO!!!"

Just give it a rest guys lol :)

As far as a desktop PC goes:

I have to agree with all of those points. I haven't used it personally but I've veiwed more than an hours worth of videos on the new OS. Windows 8 looks like trash and I have 0 issues with Win 7 to begin with.

I am not bothered about the metro. All i care about is its features and security.

I am sold on that. metro is for tablet and if you don't want to use it on desktop dont use it.

While Metro is tablet-friendly, it is no more just for tablets than NT-based operating systems were just for workstations (this was a mantra - from all those IHVs aqnd OEMs that insisted on another 9x-based OS for consumer desktops; what THAT got us was Windows Millenium Edition (Windows ME, AKA Windows ME-Ouch)) - are you sure you want to go down that road?

Basically, Metro - as a *desktop* UI - is Windows rebooted UI-wise It's not as cluttered. The menu is simple and very minimalist. Basically, it's the 9x/NT/2000 UI modernized; just not with all the extra add-ons from (mostly) Vista and 7 (all of which was also available elsewhere). Metro can be summed up rather succintly - minimalist and uncluttered.

And that likely explains all the hate - starting with XP, addons started being tacked on to the menu (Vista in particular saw a crapton of menu addons). While Vista was largely panned, 7 (an improved Vista) was a smash with users.

The question begs though - how many of hte haters came to Windows *with* 7, Vista, or XP (and thus don't remember the minimalist UI that Windows 9x/NT/2000 had?

1 main Window, but it can have multiple associated background tasks. The only problem I could see with porting all of Steam, is I'm not sure (for security reasons) if WinRT apps can download and run EXE's on a users system, which would put out the ability to download and install games.

wow nice essay. i especially liked the part that had a condescending overtone. The part where you changed and exaggerated anything that i said, which apparently led you to argue with the "sad and depressed" area inside your head. Was nice too. Was a bit scary dramatic though, but it was all balanced with the elementary "Herpty derp" flaming..

too bad you didnt take it a bit further though, and say im apparently scared of the inevitable telekinetically controlled tech era.

Thanks. I didn't want to resort to a cookie-cutter response to such a cookie-cutter opinion, especially when I knew you'd probably come back with a cookie-cutter off-topic response. Had to break up all the cookies, you know.