VLC Media Player 2.0 'Twoflower' released

The_Observer

running dual screen on my mac and i cant force it onto one screen! keeps going to the home screen! (want it full screen on screen 2 not screen 1)

Fixed need to turn off some settings. other then that, its running great on my OSX86.

ThePitt

no words about the android version... Not even a beta

Xerxes

Excellent, thank you! (Y) looking forward to the revised UI on OSX, the current UI is just horrid! As for the Windows version, to be honest I'm happy with the current UI but looking forward to under the hood changes :)

EDIT: The Windows UI has been changes, nice and simple...I like it!

PixilEyes

It seems better, but still struggles with some HD MKVs and 1080p content as well.

Plays 8gb MKV/1080P files fine on my rig.

lalalawawawa

yeah but doesn't it require external codecs?

No idea, it plays the stuff I throw at it just fine. :)

The Laughing Man

Thanks for the heads up, Also I'm very pleased to see 2.0 build for PowerPC. This is great for my Powerbook 17 whch still runs flawless.

SiCKX

It's nice looking, but I have been spoiled by PotPlayer/MPC-HC for too long. :) It's still like going from Lambo back to Nissan.

Brandon H

I absolutely love the new Mac skin, it completely out does the Windows and Linux versions now IMO :)

remixedcat

no droid version?????

farmeunit

It's nice looking, but I have been spoiled by PotPlayer/MPC-HC for too long. :) It's still like going from Lambo back to Nissan.

I just want it to play media. Could care less what it looks like.

soumyasch

Stutters like crazy on 720p MKVs with GPU-accelerated decoding enabled. With multithreaded decoding, it still skips frames, on content that 1.1.x used to play fine. Plus dropping files from network share does not work (Win 7). Downgraded. Am going to skip out on a point release or two.

linsook

Stutters like crazy on 720p MKVs with GPU-accelerated decoding enabled. With multithreaded decoding, it still skips frames, on content that 1.1.x used to play fine. Plus dropping files from network share does not work (Win 7). Downgraded. Am going to skip out on a point release or two.

skip in-loop filter - all?

alexalex

VLC and MPC-HC doesn't require external codecs. In fact, it is better to uninstall all codec packs like k-lite...

I will stick with MPC-HC 64 bit.

ArialBlue

Does VLC still call DXVA (DirectX Video Acceleration) something else than DXVA?

I am also very skeptical that VLC outperforms players made with Windows in mind like Home Cinema.

SiCKX

I just want it to play media. Could care less what it looks like.

It's far from being as fast or offering enough video options. As for the skin, I believe MPC-HC is the worst looking even in its Black Edition.

You just dropped a generic VLC "defender" reply there without any substance whatsoever.

remixedcat

still no droid version tho :-(

Jebadiah

How do I hide the Library? I liked the old minimal view, without the library/playlist hogging the UI, on to which I could just drag and drop a media file and play.

cork1958

Oh, sheesh! Isn't that just the prettiest UI you've ever seen?!

Who gives a rats a** what it looks like as long as it works? Those kind of comments always blow me away! Do you people just set there and stare at these thing out of total amazement, or what?

It's also about time this dang thing was updated!

Thanks

vanx

Plays 8gb MKV/1080P files fine on my rig.

Not all 1080p MKVs are the same, though. I just tried one of mine and pixelation and stuttering all the way. Fancy pasting MediaInfo details of yours here?

skip in-loop filter - all?

Does not help, thanks though.

iwod

I dont know about the Mac UI, but Windows UI isn't good looking at all. I wouldn't call it crap, but it has a Linux UI design theme all over it.

Edit: And the first thing i discovered it doesn't support Drag and Drop to play.

ZeroFearX

The .m2ts (Bluray) I tried work flawlessly. I was waiting for this release :)

jasondefaoite

To those having issues, I'd recommend deleting VLCs preferences. I had a lot of playback issues on OS X on the RC version. Pixelation, stuttering, no audio even, all on HD files (720 or higher).

After the deletion of preferences, all was good.

PaulCabby

Edit: And the first thing i discovered it doesn't support Drag and Drop to play.

And that alone has put me off VLC. I'm extremely content with my MPC-HC + CCCP combo.

htcz

no words about the android version... Not even a beta

:(

VLC doesnt. If it finds it cant play media, THEN it will look for external codecs.

VLC and MPC-HC doesn't require external codecs. In fact, it is better to uninstall all codec packs like k-lite...

I will stick with MPC-HC 64 bit.

VLC doesnt. MPC-HC on the other hand, does require external codecs with a few (popular ones) built in.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      VLC Media Player 3.0.12
      by Razvan Serea

VLC Media Player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

VLC plays absolutely anything. It supports an enormous number of multimedia formats, and does not require you to download additional codecs. VLC features a complete streaming server, with extended features like video on demand, on-the-fly transcoding, granular speed controls, frame-by-frame advancement and more. It can also be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

VLC Media Player now features fully customizable toolbars, customizable Skins, supports playback for broken files as well as zipped files, and so much more.

Changes between 3.0.11 and 3.0.12:

Access

Add new RIST access module compliant with simple profile (VSF_TR-06-1) Access Output

Add new RIST access output module compliant with simple profile (VSF_TR-06-1) Demux

Fixed adaptive's handling of resolution settings Audio output

Fix audio distortion on macOS during start of playback Video Output

Direct3D11: Fix some potential crashes when using video filters macOS

Add native support for Apple Silicon / ARM-64 Visual UI adaptations for macOS Big Sur Fix displaying EQ bands in the UI depending on which frequency presets are set for the EQ in advanced preferences Fix UI issues in bookmarks window Misc

Several fixes in the web interface, including privacy and security improvements Update YouTube and Vocaroo scripts Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.12 (32-bit) | Portable | ~40.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.12 (64-bit) | Portable |
      View: VLC Media Player Website | Other Operating Sytems

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      VLC Media Player 3.0.11
      by Razvan Serea

VLC Media Player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

VLC plays absolutely anything. It supports an enormous number of multimedia formats, and does not require you to download additional codecs. VLC features a complete streaming server, with extended features like video on demand, on-the-fly transcoding, granular speed controls, frame-by-frame advancement and more. It can also be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

VLC Media Player now features fully customizable toolbars, customizable Skins, supports playback for broken files as well as zipped files, and so much more.

Changes between 3.0.10 and 3.0.11:

Access

rtp descriptor leak on error fix Demux

Fixed regression with some encrypted HLS streams Live HLS delay until first update fix HLS rendition switch regression fix Fix imprecise m4a seek Decoder

Fixed missing captions with some capture cards Audio filters

soxr resampling fixes Contribs

Updated libfaad to 2.9.2 (Parametric Stereo regression) Updated libarchive to 3.4.2 macOS

Fixed moving video window with mouse Fixed UI issue showing "permissions warning" unnecessarily often Fixed stack buffer overflow listing bluray mount points Fixed potential crashes at startup Audio Output

Fix sound not coming back after a pause with CoreAudio (macOS/iOS) Misc

Update Youtube script Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.11 (32-bit) | Portable | ~40.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.11 (64-bit) | Portable |

• By Copernic
      VLC Media Player 3.0.10
      by Razvan Serea

VLC Media Player 3.0.9.2 changelog:

Misc

Properly bump the version in configure.ac Changes between 3.0.9 and 3.0.9.1:

Misc

Fix VLSub returning 401 for earch request Changes between 3.0.8 and 3.0.9:

Core

Work around busy looping when playing an invalid item through VLM Access

Multiple dvdread and dvdnav crashs fixes Fixed DVD glitches on clip change Fixed dvdread commands/data sequence inversion in some cases causing unwanted glitches Better handling of authored as corrupted DVD Added libsmb2 support for SMB2/3 shares Demux

Fix TTML entities not passed to decoder Fixed some WebVTT styling tags being not applied Misc raw H264/HEVC frame rate fixes Fix adaptive regression on TS format change (mostly HLS) Fixed MP4 regression with twos/sowt PCM audio Fixed some MP4 raw quicktime and ms-PCM audio Fixed MP4 interlacing handling Multiple adaptive stack (DASH/HLS/Smooth) fixes Enabled Live seeking for HLS Fixed seeking in some cases for HLS Improved Live playback for Smooth and DASH Fixed adaptive unwanted end of stream in some cases Faster adaptive start and new buffering control options Packetizers:

Fixes H264/HEVC incomplete draining in some cases packetizer_helper: Fix potential trailing junk on last packet Added missing drain in packetizers that was causing missing last frame or audio Improved check to prevent fLAC synchronization drops Decoder

avcodec: revector video decoder to fix incomplete drain spudec: implemented palette updates, fixing missing subtitles on some DVD Fixed WebVTT CSS styling not being applied on Windows/macOS Fixed Hebrew teletext pages support in zvbi Fixed Dav1d aborting decoding on corrupted picture Extract and display of all CEA708 subtitles Update libfaad to 2.9.1 Add DXVA support for VP9 Profile 2 (10 bits) Mediacodec aspect ratio with Amazon devices Audio output

Added support for iOS audiounit audio above 48KHz Added support for amem audio up to 384KHz Video output

Fix for opengl glitches in some drivers Fix GMA950 opengl support on macOS YUV to RGB StretchRect fixes with NVIDIA drivers Use libpacebo new tone mapping desaturation algorithm Text renderer

Fix crashes on macOS with SSA/ASS subtitles containing emoji Fixed unwanted growing background in Freetype rendering and Y padding Mux

Fixed some YUV mappings macOS

Use a layer based video output on 10.14 and higher, which should fix various rendering issues where the vout would glitch between a wrong size and the correct size. Additionally this works around OpenGL issues with Macs that have a dedicated NVIDIA GPU, which caused rendering artifacts in the whole OS, especially when the "Reduce transparency" accessibility option is used Remove qtsound module and add avaudiocapture module as replacement Fix audio capture on macOS Catalina by using avaudiocapture Inform the user in case OS permissions are missing for certain actions Fix Apple Remote support on macOS Catalina Add support for pausing Apple Music on macOS Catalina Fix UPnP discovery crash without an active network interface Fix rare placement issues with fullscreen panel Fix problem in audio output remembering the last device configuration in digital mode Service Discovery

Update libmicrodns to 0.1.2 Misc:

Update YouTube, SoundCloud and Vocaroo scripts: this restores playback of YouTube URLs. Add missing .wpl & .zpl file associations on Windows Improved chromecast audio quality Changes between 3.0.9.2 and 3.0.10:

Update Twitch & VLSub scripts Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.10 (32-bit) | Portable | ~40.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.10 (64-bit) | Portable |

• By Copernic
      VLC Media Player 3.0.9.2
      by Razvan Serea

VLC Media Player 3.0.9.2 changelog:

Misc

Properly bump the version in configure.ac Changes between 3.0.9 and 3.0.9.1:

Misc

Fix VLSub returning 401 for earch request Changes between 3.0.8 and 3.0.9:

Core

Work around busy looping when playing an invalid item through VLM Access

Multiple dvdread and dvdnav crashs fixes Fixed DVD glitches on clip change Fixed dvdread commands/data sequence inversion in some cases causing unwanted glitches Better handling of authored as corrupted DVD Added libsmb2 support for SMB2/3 shares Demux

Fix TTML entities not passed to decoder Fixed some WebVTT styling tags being not applied Misc raw H264/HEVC frame rate fixes Fix adaptive regression on TS format change (mostly HLS) Fixed MP4 regression with twos/sowt PCM audio Fixed some MP4 raw quicktime and ms-PCM audio Fixed MP4 interlacing handling Multiple adaptive stack (DASH/HLS/Smooth) fixes Enabled Live seeking for HLS Fixed seeking in some cases for HLS Improved Live playback for Smooth and DASH Fixed adaptive unwanted end of stream in some cases Faster adaptive start and new buffering control options Packetizers:

Fixes H264/HEVC incomplete draining in some cases packetizer_helper: Fix potential trailing junk on last packet Added missing drain in packetizers that was causing missing last frame or audio Improved check to prevent fLAC synchronization drops Decoder

avcodec: revector video decoder to fix incomplete drain spudec: implemented palette updates, fixing missing subtitles on some DVD Fixed WebVTT CSS styling not being applied on Windows/macOS Fixed Hebrew teletext pages support in zvbi Fixed Dav1d aborting decoding on corrupted picture Extract and display of all CEA708 subtitles Update libfaad to 2.9.1 Add DXVA support for VP9 Profile 2 (10 bits) Mediacodec aspect ratio with Amazon devices Audio output

Added support for iOS audiounit audio above 48KHz Added support for amem audio up to 384KHz Video output

Fix for opengl glitches in some drivers Fix GMA950 opengl support on macOS YUV to RGB StretchRect fixes with NVIDIA drivers Use libpacebo new tone mapping desaturation algorithm Text renderer

Fix crashes on macOS with SSA/ASS subtitles containing emoji Fixed unwanted growing background in Freetype rendering and Y padding Mux

Fixed some YUV mappings macOS

Use a layer based video output on 10.14 and higher, which should fix various rendering issues where the vout would glitch between a wrong size and the correct size. Additionally this works around OpenGL issues with Macs that have a dedicated NVIDIA GPU, which caused rendering artifacts in the whole OS, especially when the "Reduce transparency" accessibility option is used Remove qtsound module and add avaudiocapture module as replacement Fix audio capture on macOS Catalina by using avaudiocapture Inform the user in case OS permissions are missing for certain actions Fix Apple Remote support on macOS Catalina Add support for pausing Apple Music on macOS Catalina Fix UPnP discovery crash without an active network interface Fix rare placement issues with fullscreen panel Fix problem in audio output remembering the last device configuration in digital mode Service Discovery

Update libmicrodns to 0.1.2 Misc:

Update YouTube, SoundCloud and Vocaroo scripts: this restores playback of YouTube URLs. Add missing .wpl & .zpl file associations on Windows Improved chromecast audio quality Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.9.2 (32-bit) | Portable | ~40.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.9.2 (64-bit) | Portable |

• By Copernic
      VLC Media Player 3.0.8
      by Razvan Serea

VLC Media Player 3.0.8 changelog:

Core:

Fix stuttering for low framerate videos Demux:

Fix channel ordering in some MP4 files Fix glitches in TS over HLS Add real probing of HLS streams Fix HLS MIME type fallback Decoder:

Fix WebVTT subtitles rendering Stream filter:

Improve network buffering Misc:

Update Youtube script Audio Output:

macOS/iOS: Fix stuttering or blank audio when starting or seeking when using external audio devices (bluetooth for example) macOS: Fix AV synchronization when using external audio devices Video Output:

Direct3D11: Fix hardware acceleration for some AMD drivers Stream output:

Fix transcoding when the decoder does not set the chroma Security:

Fix a buffer overflow in the MKV demuxer (CVE-2019-14970) Fix a read buffer overflow in the avcodec decoder (CVE-2019-13962) Fix a read buffer overflow in the FAAD decoder Fix a read buffer overflow in the OGG demuxer (CVE-2019-14437, CVE-2019-14438) Fix a read buffer overflow in the ASF demuxer (CVE-2019-14776) Fix a use after free in the MKV demuxer (CVE-2019-14777, CVE-2019-14778) Fix a use after free in the ASF demuxer (CVE-2019-14533) Fix a couple of integer underflows in the MP4 demuxer (CVE-2019-13602) Fix a null dereference in the dvdnav demuxer Fix a null dereference in the ASF demuxer (CVE-2019-14534) Fix a null dereference in the AVI demuxer Fix a division by zero in the CAF demuxer (CVE-2019-14498) Fix a division by zero in the ASF demuxer (CVE-2019-14535) Contribs:

Update to a newer libmodplug version (0.8.9.0) Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.8 (32-bit) | Portable | ~40.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.8 (64-bit) | Portable |