VLC Media Player 2.0 'Twoflower' released

The Laughing Man

The .m2ts (Bluray) I tried work flawlessly. I was waiting for this release :)

I played mt2s flawlessly before 2.0/ Now when i play them they throw out 5 direct3d output windows and the main screen. Now i got 5 mini windows playing the movie as well as one big one. Each mini window next to the main window is a version of the directors cut with commentary and each window is in a different language. Quite annoying its like running 6 movies at once.

Edit : Quick fix, go to Video, Video Track, Disable. This disables all video tracks then I re enable track 1, seems to work.

philcruicks

Woo! I was wondering when this was gonna drop. Have to test out the blu-ray features later, but it playes my 1080p MKV's OK

Looks better than 1.x but could still do with a design overhaul or Win.

neo1911

Went back to PotPlayer after trying it.

+M2Ys4U

And the first thing i discovered it doesn't support Drag and Drop to play.

Works perfectly fine for me on Windows 7 x64

n_K

Drag and drops works fine here (linux) although I will say when I used to use it, it'd play instantly and add a row to a list, now it doesn't play until I click play and it's in a square block 'cover art' view.

Mainly use audacious for audio so it's no loss to me.

Actually, VLC is ****ed.

Increasing the volume causes it to increase the overall system volume, but if I decrease it (from within VLC) it doesn't change the system volume.

Oh joy...

Original Poster

OS X gets a snazzy new interface, whilst the Windows version still looks dull. WMP12 looks better.

guess we know they are macs...

vanx

To those having issues, I'd recommend deleting VLCs preferences. I had a lot of playback issues on OS X on the RC version. Pixelation, stuttering, no audio even, all on HD files (720 or higher).

After the deletion of preferences, all was good.

Thanks for the suggestion, but reset of preferences didn't do the trick for me.

Fredrik Wallentin

at last! :D

now i can play 1080p 10bit

Techno_Funky

Awesome, thanks for the heads up :)

BoredBozirini

Already got used to MPlayerX, but thanks anyways.

.Neo

Unbelievable how dated many Windows apps still look. :/

ArialBlue

Try Libre / Open Office and weep.

METRO may help.

yxz

'sup

post-277458-0-13442500-1329680117_thumb.

.Neo
METRO may help.

If developers can be bothered to actually switch their existing apps over to it.

ThaCrip

Dammit, that's what I was hoping to be fixed. MPCHC plays HD content just fine.

probably because the last i knew VLC has hardware acceleration OFF by default where as MPCHC has hardware acceleration ON by default which takes a major load off the CPU. especially if you got a older CPU it's even more needed as my PC can't play 1080p and stay in sync on CPU alone where as with hardware acceleration on CPU use is around 5percent instead of well over 60percent+

to make sure GPU Acceleration is enabled... CTRL+P > Inputs & Codecs > then on that menu CHECK the "use GPU accelerated decoding".

p.s. for the record... i still prefer 'Pot Player' (i.e. http://goo.gl/GFOrM ) the most as it's also got hardware acceleration by default and it's overall interface and the little things make it comfortably ahead of VLC etc if you ask me.

ArialBlue

If developers can be bothered to actually switch their existing apps over to it.

If developers can't be bothered W8 tablets and generally embracing the future of GUI design, well they aren't good developers are they?

probably because the last i knew VLC has hardware acceleration OFF by default where as MPCHC has hardware acceleration ON by default which takes a major load off the CPU. especially if you got a older CPU it's even more needed as my PC can't play 1080p and stay in sync on CPU alone where as with hardware acceleration on CPU use is around 5percent instead of well over 60percent+

p.s. for the record... i still prefer 'Pot Player' (i.e. http://goo.gl/GFOrM ) the most as it's also got hardware acceleration by default and it's overall interface and the little things make it comfortably ahead of VLC etc if you ask me.

You really shouldn't need more than like an 800Mhz Single Core CPU for True High Definition video playback these days.

ThaCrip
You really shouldn't need more than like an 800Mhz Single Core CPU for True High Definition video playback these days.

on x264 (h264) 720p files my CPU can play them fine. but for 1080p the last i checked it requires a faster CPU then what i got which is AMD Athlon X2 3600+ (2.0ghz , but it's overclocked to 2.4ghz)

in fact, i just tried it with GPU acceleration on and off and it's just as i said above. (i.e. GPU acceleration makes a big difference in CPU load especially for 1080p as like i was saying has issues without GPU acceleration)

i can even notice it plays smoother with GPU acceleration on with 1080p video.

bottom line... if you don't have a super fast CPU, GPU acceleration DOES help, especially with 1080p video. 720p my CPU can do that WITHout GPU accleration but 1080p is to much for it until i turn on the GPU accleration.

with MPCHC... CPU use floats around 5% but it's got GPU acceleration on by default though just lke Pot Player that i use.

p.s. where did you hear 800mhz as that's way to slow as ill bet that can't even do 720p.

ArialBlue

p.s. where did you hear 800mhz as that's way to slow as ill bet that can't even do 720p.

I meant with DXVA.

Without DXVA you need 3Ghz P4 or faster for 720p (non-BD bitrate).

ThaCrip

I meant with DXVA.

Without DXVA you need 3Ghz P4 or faster for 720p (non-BD bitrate).

DXVA IS GPU acceleration. (i.e. same as i was talking about with it ON and OFF. with it off it's only using CPU to process the video. with DXVA on it's using the GPU to do most of the work).

that's why i was telling people to make sure that GPU acceleration is ON within VLC as the last i knew it's off by default. once you turn it on it should be able to play 1080p without any problems assuming you got a card that can support it.

ArialBlue

DXVA IS GPU acceleration.

Yeah. These days if you don't use DXVA, you don't a modern computer.

DXVA allows you to play HD on super-low speed CPUs.

That is why due to modern GPU technology, tablets et all, you really shouldn't need more than like an 800Mhz Single Core CPU for True High Definition video

:)

Any software that still uses the CPU by default is legacy, outdated, etc

ThaCrip

Yeah. These days if you don't use DXVA, you don't a modern computer.

DXVA allows you to play HD on super-low speed CPUs.

That is why due to modern GPU technology, tablets et all, you really shouldn't need more than like an 800Mhz Single Core CPU for True High Definition video

:)

yeah, that's why i was quoting that person as they where having 1080p playback issues which is easily cured once you turn on the 'use GPU accelerated decoding" option (assuming your graphics card can do it) in VLC's options.

plus he was saying MPCHC plays the video files fine but it's because that automatically uses dxva acceleration by default where as VLC don't which explains why he's having problems playing 1080p video on VLC.

einsteinbqat

Does any of you know how to make the media play in a window different from the playlist/library (a separate window)? Thanks

LaP

:(

VLC doesnt. If it finds it cant play media, THEN it will look for external codecs.

VLC doesnt. MPC-HC on the other hand, does require external codecs with a few (popular ones) built in.

Which codec does MPC-HC requires ? Cause so far i never had to download any codec to play any mkv, ogg or avi container.

einsteinbqat

Never mind! LOL! I just didn't know how to read properly!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      VLC Media Player 3.0.12
      by Razvan Serea

VLC Media Player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

VLC plays absolutely anything. It supports an enormous number of multimedia formats, and does not require you to download additional codecs. VLC features a complete streaming server, with extended features like video on demand, on-the-fly transcoding, granular speed controls, frame-by-frame advancement and more. It can also be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

VLC Media Player now features fully customizable toolbars, customizable Skins, supports playback for broken files as well as zipped files, and so much more.

Changes between 3.0.11 and 3.0.12:

Access

Add new RIST access module compliant with simple profile (VSF_TR-06-1) Access Output

Add new RIST access output module compliant with simple profile (VSF_TR-06-1) Demux

Fixed adaptive's handling of resolution settings Audio output

Fix audio distortion on macOS during start of playback Video Output

Direct3D11: Fix some potential crashes when using video filters macOS

Add native support for Apple Silicon / ARM-64 Visual UI adaptations for macOS Big Sur Fix displaying EQ bands in the UI depending on which frequency presets are set for the EQ in advanced preferences Fix UI issues in bookmarks window Misc

Several fixes in the web interface, including privacy and security improvements Update YouTube and Vocaroo scripts Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.12 (32-bit) | Portable | ~40.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.12 (64-bit) | Portable |
      View: VLC Media Player Website | Other Operating Sytems

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      VLC Media Player 3.0.11
      by Razvan Serea

VLC Media Player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

VLC plays absolutely anything. It supports an enormous number of multimedia formats, and does not require you to download additional codecs. VLC features a complete streaming server, with extended features like video on demand, on-the-fly transcoding, granular speed controls, frame-by-frame advancement and more. It can also be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

VLC Media Player now features fully customizable toolbars, customizable Skins, supports playback for broken files as well as zipped files, and so much more.

Changes between 3.0.10 and 3.0.11:

Access

rtp descriptor leak on error fix Demux

Fixed regression with some encrypted HLS streams Live HLS delay until first update fix HLS rendition switch regression fix Fix imprecise m4a seek Decoder

Fixed missing captions with some capture cards Audio filters

soxr resampling fixes Contribs

Updated libfaad to 2.9.2 (Parametric Stereo regression) Updated libarchive to 3.4.2 macOS

Fixed moving video window with mouse Fixed UI issue showing "permissions warning" unnecessarily often Fixed stack buffer overflow listing bluray mount points Fixed potential crashes at startup Audio Output

Fix sound not coming back after a pause with CoreAudio (macOS/iOS) Misc

Update Youtube script Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.11 (32-bit) | Portable | ~40.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.11 (64-bit) | Portable |

• By Copernic
      VLC Media Player 3.0.10
      by Razvan Serea

VLC Media Player 3.0.9.2 changelog:

Misc

Properly bump the version in configure.ac Changes between 3.0.9 and 3.0.9.1:

Misc

Fix VLSub returning 401 for earch request Changes between 3.0.8 and 3.0.9:

Core

Work around busy looping when playing an invalid item through VLM Access

Multiple dvdread and dvdnav crashs fixes Fixed DVD glitches on clip change Fixed dvdread commands/data sequence inversion in some cases causing unwanted glitches Better handling of authored as corrupted DVD Added libsmb2 support for SMB2/3 shares Demux

Fix TTML entities not passed to decoder Fixed some WebVTT styling tags being not applied Misc raw H264/HEVC frame rate fixes Fix adaptive regression on TS format change (mostly HLS) Fixed MP4 regression with twos/sowt PCM audio Fixed some MP4 raw quicktime and ms-PCM audio Fixed MP4 interlacing handling Multiple adaptive stack (DASH/HLS/Smooth) fixes Enabled Live seeking for HLS Fixed seeking in some cases for HLS Improved Live playback for Smooth and DASH Fixed adaptive unwanted end of stream in some cases Faster adaptive start and new buffering control options Packetizers:

Fixes H264/HEVC incomplete draining in some cases packetizer_helper: Fix potential trailing junk on last packet Added missing drain in packetizers that was causing missing last frame or audio Improved check to prevent fLAC synchronization drops Decoder

avcodec: revector video decoder to fix incomplete drain spudec: implemented palette updates, fixing missing subtitles on some DVD Fixed WebVTT CSS styling not being applied on Windows/macOS Fixed Hebrew teletext pages support in zvbi Fixed Dav1d aborting decoding on corrupted picture Extract and display of all CEA708 subtitles Update libfaad to 2.9.1 Add DXVA support for VP9 Profile 2 (10 bits) Mediacodec aspect ratio with Amazon devices Audio output

Added support for iOS audiounit audio above 48KHz Added support for amem audio up to 384KHz Video output

Fix for opengl glitches in some drivers Fix GMA950 opengl support on macOS YUV to RGB StretchRect fixes with NVIDIA drivers Use libpacebo new tone mapping desaturation algorithm Text renderer

Fix crashes on macOS with SSA/ASS subtitles containing emoji Fixed unwanted growing background in Freetype rendering and Y padding Mux

Fixed some YUV mappings macOS

Use a layer based video output on 10.14 and higher, which should fix various rendering issues where the vout would glitch between a wrong size and the correct size. Additionally this works around OpenGL issues with Macs that have a dedicated NVIDIA GPU, which caused rendering artifacts in the whole OS, especially when the "Reduce transparency" accessibility option is used Remove qtsound module and add avaudiocapture module as replacement Fix audio capture on macOS Catalina by using avaudiocapture Inform the user in case OS permissions are missing for certain actions Fix Apple Remote support on macOS Catalina Add support for pausing Apple Music on macOS Catalina Fix UPnP discovery crash without an active network interface Fix rare placement issues with fullscreen panel Fix problem in audio output remembering the last device configuration in digital mode Service Discovery

Update libmicrodns to 0.1.2 Misc:

Update YouTube, SoundCloud and Vocaroo scripts: this restores playback of YouTube URLs. Add missing .wpl & .zpl file associations on Windows Improved chromecast audio quality Changes between 3.0.9.2 and 3.0.10:

Update Twitch & VLSub scripts Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.10 (32-bit) | Portable | ~40.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.10 (64-bit) | Portable |

• By Copernic
      VLC Media Player 3.0.9.2
      by Razvan Serea

VLC Media Player 3.0.9.2 changelog:

Misc

Properly bump the version in configure.ac Changes between 3.0.9 and 3.0.9.1:

Misc

Fix VLSub returning 401 for earch request Changes between 3.0.8 and 3.0.9:

Core

Work around busy looping when playing an invalid item through VLM Access

Multiple dvdread and dvdnav crashs fixes Fixed DVD glitches on clip change Fixed dvdread commands/data sequence inversion in some cases causing unwanted glitches Better handling of authored as corrupted DVD Added libsmb2 support for SMB2/3 shares Demux

Fix TTML entities not passed to decoder Fixed some WebVTT styling tags being not applied Misc raw H264/HEVC frame rate fixes Fix adaptive regression on TS format change (mostly HLS) Fixed MP4 regression with twos/sowt PCM audio Fixed some MP4 raw quicktime and ms-PCM audio Fixed MP4 interlacing handling Multiple adaptive stack (DASH/HLS/Smooth) fixes Enabled Live seeking for HLS Fixed seeking in some cases for HLS Improved Live playback for Smooth and DASH Fixed adaptive unwanted end of stream in some cases Faster adaptive start and new buffering control options Packetizers:

Fixes H264/HEVC incomplete draining in some cases packetizer_helper: Fix potential trailing junk on last packet Added missing drain in packetizers that was causing missing last frame or audio Improved check to prevent fLAC synchronization drops Decoder

avcodec: revector video decoder to fix incomplete drain spudec: implemented palette updates, fixing missing subtitles on some DVD Fixed WebVTT CSS styling not being applied on Windows/macOS Fixed Hebrew teletext pages support in zvbi Fixed Dav1d aborting decoding on corrupted picture Extract and display of all CEA708 subtitles Update libfaad to 2.9.1 Add DXVA support for VP9 Profile 2 (10 bits) Mediacodec aspect ratio with Amazon devices Audio output

Added support for iOS audiounit audio above 48KHz Added support for amem audio up to 384KHz Video output

Fix for opengl glitches in some drivers Fix GMA950 opengl support on macOS YUV to RGB StretchRect fixes with NVIDIA drivers Use libpacebo new tone mapping desaturation algorithm Text renderer

Fix crashes on macOS with SSA/ASS subtitles containing emoji Fixed unwanted growing background in Freetype rendering and Y padding Mux

Fixed some YUV mappings macOS

Use a layer based video output on 10.14 and higher, which should fix various rendering issues where the vout would glitch between a wrong size and the correct size. Additionally this works around OpenGL issues with Macs that have a dedicated NVIDIA GPU, which caused rendering artifacts in the whole OS, especially when the "Reduce transparency" accessibility option is used Remove qtsound module and add avaudiocapture module as replacement Fix audio capture on macOS Catalina by using avaudiocapture Inform the user in case OS permissions are missing for certain actions Fix Apple Remote support on macOS Catalina Add support for pausing Apple Music on macOS Catalina Fix UPnP discovery crash without an active network interface Fix rare placement issues with fullscreen panel Fix problem in audio output remembering the last device configuration in digital mode Service Discovery

Update libmicrodns to 0.1.2 Misc:

Update YouTube, SoundCloud and Vocaroo scripts: this restores playback of YouTube URLs. Add missing .wpl & .zpl file associations on Windows Improved chromecast audio quality Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.9.2 (32-bit) | Portable | ~40.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.9.2 (64-bit) | Portable |

• By Copernic
      VLC Media Player 3.0.8
      by Razvan Serea

VLC Media Player 3.0.8 changelog:

Core:

Fix stuttering for low framerate videos Demux:

Fix channel ordering in some MP4 files Fix glitches in TS over HLS Add real probing of HLS streams Fix HLS MIME type fallback Decoder:

Fix WebVTT subtitles rendering Stream filter:

Improve network buffering Misc:

Update Youtube script Audio Output:

macOS/iOS: Fix stuttering or blank audio when starting or seeking when using external audio devices (bluetooth for example) macOS: Fix AV synchronization when using external audio devices Video Output:

Direct3D11: Fix hardware acceleration for some AMD drivers Stream output:

Fix transcoding when the decoder does not set the chroma Security:

Fix a buffer overflow in the MKV demuxer (CVE-2019-14970) Fix a read buffer overflow in the avcodec decoder (CVE-2019-13962) Fix a read buffer overflow in the FAAD decoder Fix a read buffer overflow in the OGG demuxer (CVE-2019-14437, CVE-2019-14438) Fix a read buffer overflow in the ASF demuxer (CVE-2019-14776) Fix a use after free in the MKV demuxer (CVE-2019-14777, CVE-2019-14778) Fix a use after free in the ASF demuxer (CVE-2019-14533) Fix a couple of integer underflows in the MP4 demuxer (CVE-2019-13602) Fix a null dereference in the dvdnav demuxer Fix a null dereference in the ASF demuxer (CVE-2019-14534) Fix a null dereference in the AVI demuxer Fix a division by zero in the CAF demuxer (CVE-2019-14498) Fix a division by zero in the ASF demuxer (CVE-2019-14535) Contribs:

Update to a newer libmodplug version (0.8.9.0) Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.8 (32-bit) | Portable | ~40.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: VLC Media Player 3.0.8 (64-bit) | Portable |