I tried switching to Hotmail from Gmail...

This link to sign up for a Windows Live ID displays a page with a select box that allows me to select from "hotmail.co.uk" or "LIVE.CO.UK" The choices will probably depend on your location. I'm not sure why the option for live.co.uk is in capital letters, as it wasn't whenever I previously signed up for my Windows Live IDs, but it should work all the same.

There is no way to convert a '@hotmail' address to a '@live' one, but my original post was referring to signing up for a new ID.

(Y)

Ok so I switched to gmail (forwarding all emails I'm getting on my hotmail to my gmail) but I'm finding a LOT of my emails are getting flagged as spam :/ WTF???????

Otherwise it's nice to be able to just use Mail on my computer and not a web interface....but if the spam issue doesnt get fixed I'll switch back soon

Ok so I switched to gmail (forwarding all emails I'm getting on my hotmail to my gmail) but I'm finding a LOT of my emails are getting flagged as spam :/ WTF???????

Otherwise it's nice to be able to just use Mail on my computer and not a web interface....but if the spam issue doesnt get fixed I'll switch back soon

If you notice ones you want in there. Mark them as safe until you no longer get any of your actual mails going in there.

Actually, it had nothing to do with Neowin's front page post. I've been feeling this way about Google for quite some time.

I, or I should say my link has one answer: Raj!

If you notice ones you want in there. Mark them as safe until you no longer get any of your actual mails going in there.

and risk losing some real emails? I think tonight I'll disable the forwarding and just go back to hotmail and use the crappy web interface :(

• 1 month later...

But from what I understand, if you have a long standing hotmail account, you can't get the new @live address without creating a new account. This still bothers me that MS has made no effort allow such an option.

Well you sort of can get a new email address. I have 2 alias on my hotmail account and they work just as good as the original. Just create an alias, takes about 10sec if you know what you want (and it's available). :)

If your email id is unique enough, you might be able to get a matching @live.com alias.

Microsoft however seems to go "ok we need a new interface, better recode the whole entire thing" and then you constantly get products that feel unfinished that lack tons of functions that the previous version had. Like hotmail.

But hotmail's been upgraded multiple times. You just don't see it because they keep the same UI, unlike Google that needs to re-tool their whole UI when they introduce something insignificant :p

• 3 weeks later...

...to me it just doesn't seem professional to have a @hotmail email address.

I always thought this. But them an @gmail address sounds only slightly better. But then I use my website address as a front end and all mail is delivered to Gmail for me to reply (using my website address).

But then to me, hotmail seems more finished and polished rather than Gmail's bland look. Gmail looks at the off like they haven't really done anything with the UI and it's all just placeholders for stuff. As the other guy said, nothing is in a place I expect it to be.

They both have their plus and minus points. Gmail is quicker, Hotmail looks nicer for starters!

All that though doesn't matter as I primarily use Live Mail for my UI.

I'm always trying new stuff and I'm still not sold on Hotmail. For my use Gmail is miles ahead.

Yeah, I'm the opposite, different strokes for different folks and all that.