Windows 8 Consumer Preview Discussion

McKay

Untitled-48.png

Well Starty, we had a hell of a run together. 1998 - 2012

• Like 3
techguy77

Can't you just type from the Metro Menu to get to apps?

You know how many people will know that ...almost none. Windows 8 is disaster for Desktop. You can't mix apple and oranges...i sound boring to myself repeating same **** lol

• Like 1
+warwagon

Untitled-48.png

Wouldn't it be 1995 to 2012?

techguy77

Untitled-48.png

No worries it will be around for another 8 years at least :)

mrp04

Screen rotation is slow again. :/ It was instant in the Developer Preview, now it is only slightly faster than it was in Windows 7. Developer Preview could rotate the screen without making it blink, this can't do that.

techguy77

Thanks.

Once again Microsoft is turning what use to be simple tasks into tasks which take make more mouse clicks to complete than they did before.

Thanks, now how about something simple of the average user?

I didn't install Windows 8 and not planning so i said this out of what i could think of assuming old shortcuts still work. There has to be restart or shutdown button somewhere, perhaps part of charm bar?

Quillz

Bit late to the party, but I'm downloading the ISO now. I hope I have some DVDs lying around...

Planning to install as my only OS on my ThinkPad, which is presently running Linux Mint.

+warwagon

I didn't install Windows 8 and not planning so i said this out of what i could think of assuming old shortcuts still work. There has to be restart or shutdown button somewhere, perhaps part of charm bar?

ya you can click the "metro" button and then slide your mouse over to the side of the screen to bring up the hidden settings button and once in there you can find shut down and restart.

firey

I knew all this time. People were telling me how can you claim this or that and also CP is not same as DP. People do not understand that what they see in pre beta is pretty much going to be final release. They might be few visual tweaks here and there but that's about it. Most of the work is on back end.

This! I don't know how many times people got upset when I said I didn't like things in the dev-preview and would say it is going to be completely different. Aside from actual speed, not productivity, but time it takes from a click to open something to when it opens speed. There is no differences except the start menu being gone. Tiles still look and act the exact same, start screen looks and acts the exact same, desktop is still crippled in the way of accesibility.. even more so now in the public beta than in the dev preview.

+warwagon

Bit late to the party, but I'm downloading the ISO now. I hope I have some DVDs lying around...

Planning to install as my only OS on my ThinkPad, which is presently running Linux Mint.

For those of you that don't want to have to burn a DVD you can use this free Microsoft tool to put the Windows 8 ISO onto a USB stick

http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe

• Like 1
techguy77

This! I don't know how many times people got upset when I said I didn't like things in the dev-preview and would say it is going to be completely different. Aside from actual speed, not productivity, but time it takes from a click to open something to when it opens speed. There is no differences except the start menu being gone. Tiles still look and act the exact same, start screen looks and acts the exact same, desktop is still crippled in the way of accesibility.. even more so now in the public beta than in the dev preview.

The problem is simple and that's what i am claiming all this time. Desktop do not need any type of new interface because it already has interface to communicate with End User namely Desktop Space itself where Start menu was and still should be part of it. Tablet/Phones need Metro because that's the only way that devices will communicate with users and at the same time Desktop on those devices doesn't make sense. Terrible decision by MS. No other company did anything like it where every UI principle fails. Good luck to them!

Dot Matrix

sorry to hear that

as for the build itself , technically speaking it won't be stable until it reach Release candidate stage

Spoke too soon. Refreshing just finished. Heh.

Let's see if it works again.

spudtrooper

There is absolutely zero reason to go to windows 8, for me productivity drops to a crawl, can't quickly multi-task, am in the broken beaten desktop half the time anyways. May as well stay with Windows 7

What is stopping you from multi tasking?

Quillz

For those of you that don't want to have to burn a DVD you can use this free Microsoft tool to put the Windows 8 ISO onto a USB stick

http://images2.store...SB-DVD-tool.exe

Won't run on my iMac, though. So I'll have to use a DVD.

jasqid

SO I installed WIn8 Preview in a virtual machine. It rebooted, setup and finalized the registry.... now I am just looking at a blocky beta fish fro a 70's caratoon. No response. Anyone else having this issue?

Zain Adeel

ok so .......... i f ed up in a hurry :p

the light here goes off at 12.. its 11 56.. i was supposed to burn the IMAGE in 8minutes.. i calculated.. i hit BURN AND THE SPEED SELECTED WAS 2X!!! DAMN IT!!!

Now this dvd will be wasted :p

and ill have to wait a whole hour before i get electricity back and use the other DVD.. thank GOD i bought 2 of them for some reason.. :D

anyhowwwwww..

only somebody from Pakistan will understand what i meant :p

• Like 2
techguy77

ya you can click the "metro" button and then slide your mouse over to the side of the screen to bring up the hidden settings button and once in there you can find shut down and restart.

Just unbeliavable how many click and mouse movements you have to do to get to simple option as shut down.

Broken work flow better say broken Windows UI.

firey

The fact that in order to multi-task I have to setup the apps I want to multi-task with and ensure I set them up properly so I don't get stuck in one. I can't have multiple apps open on the same screen at the same time and have them all visible. In order to switch between metro apps I need to do a mouse gesture in a very specific area to be able to see what apps I even have open.

That good sir, is what is stopping me.

corrosive23

What a load of ****.

This has gone Metro overload and I don't want any part of it, looks like ill be switching to mac.

Wow! Your copy of windows 7 will stop functioning totally when windows 8 comes out?

Calum

Just unbeliavable how many click and mouse movements you have to do to get to simple option as shut down.

What warwagon described seems about the same amount of effort as (if not less than) moving the mouse to the Start button in Windows 7, clicking the Start button, moving the mouse to the 'Shut down' option, and clicking the 'Shut down' option. . . .

• Like 2
Zain Adeel

Haha.. The DVD burnt before light went out! I had already prepared the system. In exactly 1 hrs time I'll install it :p yea

Roger H.

Alt+Tab still works so you can use that in the desktop environment. The left side slide-out is for Metro apps.

Stupid monitor and your 1280 x 1024 resolution. I think that's why I can't put stuff side by side!

pack34

Haha.. The DVD burnt before light went out! I had already prepared the system. In exactly 1 hrs time I'll install it :p yea

Rolling blackouts?

patseguin

Liking it so far. I still have to go to desktop to run all my apps and with no start menu I'm not sure how to get to my shortcuts.