Windows 8, enough after about 2 hours

I was so excited to try it out. I remember trying every leaked build during 7 dev phase starting from 6801 and after every install and few updates all my drivers would either be installed or up a running.

Not so with 8. It detected most but not video and chipset even though the compatibility report stated they were kosher. I ran Windows Update 5 times to no avail for it to detect that it has those drivers. By the way it took me 10mins literally digging through to locate WinUpdate. The lack of start menu made life hell. Moving around using about mouse on Metro app display made me feel like I was torturing myself for no good reason.

I got frustrated cause I couldn't easily shutdown or reboot without logging out of Live. Then I went to TaskMan to do it, there it's also gone.

After manually downloading the nVidia drivers directly, it looked kind of better. I'm thoroughly underwhelmed so far and hope the tablet experience is much more richer as most of the media out there and the videos I've seen attest to.

• Like 2

I don't know why people complain about Metro when you don't have to use it the majority of the time

That's incorrect. My wife lives in Windows Live Messenger, Windows Live Mail, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Word, Windows Live Photo Gallery.

To go from whatever you're doing to mail or messenger is a mess.

• Like 2

I was so excited to try it out. I remember trying every leaked build during 7 dev phase starting from 6801 and after every install and few updates all my drivers would either be installed or up a running.

Not so with 8. It detected most but not video and chipset even though the compatibility report stated they were kosher. I ran Windows Update 5 times to no avail for it to detect that it has those drivers. By the way it took me 10mins literally digging through to locate WinUpdate. The lack of start menu made life hell. Moving around using about mouse on Metro app display made me feel like I was torturing myself for no good reason.

I got frustrated cause I couldn't easily shutdown or reboot without logging out of Live. Then I went to TaskMan to do it, there it's also gone.

After manually downloading the nVidia drivers directly, it looked kind of better. I'm thoroughly underwhelmed so far and hope the tablet experience is much more richer as most of the media out there and the videos I've seen attest to.

I'm not very fond of live right now, but it sounds more something like you'd use for public computers. To sync settings across no matter what computer you're on.

I'd recommend making a new account and making it a "local only" account if you're having troubles with live.

Just like anything new, it's frustrating because we're all just getting used to the new changes. Once you know where everything is (like past windows versions) you'll be fine ;p

That's incorrect. My wife lives in Windows Live Messenger, Windows Live Mail, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Word, Windows Live Photo Gallery.

To go from whatever you're doing to mail or messenger is a mess.

So use the non-immersive version of internet explorer. You're not forced to use Metro or any of it's apps except for settings I think (which you shouldn't have to spend hours on in the first place).

Put all those apps or websites on the super bar and she can switch between them like any other Windows version.

4) Not great for multi-tasking. She usually has multiple brower windows open, Windows Live Messenger and Windows Live Mail. While the multiple browsers can be addressed on the regular desktop, in that view there is no way to know if you have new instant messages or emails.

Just open multiple windows in desktop mode. Simple enough. As for the other issues, it's essentially a beta product.

So use the non-immersive version of internet explorer. You're not forced to use Metro except for settings I think (which you shouldn't have to spend hours on to tweak).

Ok, so she's on IE on the desktop, gets an IM, goes to Start Screen, opens IM app, replies, goes back to the desktop, and quite possibly the person has replied by the time she even gets back into IE. Then an email comes, goes to get the email, leaving the desktop, entering the start screen and then opening the mail app.

It's not a good flow.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited as hell to pick us up some Samsung tablets with Windows 8. But this is a mess on desktops/laptops.

• Like 2

Ok, so she's on IE on the desktop, get's an IM, goes to Start Screen, opens IM app, replies, goes back to the desktop, and quite possibly the person has replied by the time she even gets back into IE. Then an email comes, goes to get the email, leaving the desktop, entering the start screen and then opening the mail app.

It's not a good flow.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited as hell to pick us up some Samsung tablets with Windows 8. But this is a mess on desktops/laptops.

I just said she's not obliged to use any Metro app if she doesn't want to put in the effort to switch between them without the mouse.

Switch to pidgin, hell or even meebo.com multiple IM sign in within the same browser. There really is no issue, you have the choice to use whatever you want that you consider to be a non-hassle.

Ok, so she's on IE on the desktop, gets an IM, goes to Start Screen, opens IM app, replies, goes back to the desktop, and quite possibly the person has replied by the time she even gets back into IE. Then an email comes, goes to get the email, leaving the desktop, entering the start screen and then opening the mail app.

It's not a good flow.

Just dock Messenger next to the desktop and then switch one of them with email when you get one?

If I wanted my PC to look, act, or operate like an XBox or Windows 7 Phone, then I would have bought one or all of the aforementioned, apart from the PC, as it is a PC, and I own it, and want it to remain so, as in a PC, with a proper PC OS software running on it!

I used it for a few hours in a VM before giving up in frustration. Everything I actually need is a couple of extra steps away. It took me almost 10 minutes to find the damned Power Off button! Being pulled into the Start Screen is just jarring - searching or browsing in the old Start Menu was quick and clean. The Start Screen is just full of brightly coloured tiles that I actually find distracting and it makes it hard to find what I want. Even something like accessing My Computer to browse a data DVD requires a hunt. Also what about the lock screen with the full page wallpaper - to login I can't just click to dismiss it, I have to grab it with the mouse and swipe it up off the screen. That would be natural as a touch gesture but not with a mouse. One click to make it disappear should be the mouse option.

I'm sure this will be a great OS for touch devices but for me this is little more than a Windows 7 Touch Edition SKU. I certainly won't be "upgrading" (I hate to use the word as this is a downgrade over Win 7 for desktop users) unless MS (or hackers) allow people to choose to reinstate the Start Menu and disable the Start Screen. I'm sure most businesses would want that configuration. I really don't care for Metro apps either - without an option to resize the windows and have multiple apps onscreen at once I've got no interest in using these. If they could be pinned to the desktop taskbar maybe I'd use a couple but I don't want to be kicked into a separate UI for the privilege.

So there's my thoughts anyway. I used the Developer Preview and had hoped to see and improvement in the CP build but it just isn't there. It's not about resisting change or hating anything new it comes down to the fact that the new dual UI is simply an extremely poor fit for desktop users and a jarring, unnatural and counter-intuitive experience. I wish they'd do a Longhorn and take it back to the drawing board - that's obviously not going to happen, but they're pinning all their hopes on a big tablet uptake.

• Like 3

@Tekkerson

I agree and I'm not giving up quite yet. I'll do the local account thing and see if things improve.

That's the spirit! Need some more optimism around here! Kinda getting tiring seeing all these pessimists on Neowin ;p

First time with windows 8 today, and I was one of the people who stated Microsoft is on the wrong track.

I've basically removed all metro apps minus weather and remote desktop from the start screen. Now it's basically like 7 with a prettier start menu. Taking a while to get used to gestures, but after 15~ years of basically the same UI, it's going to take more than a few hours to remember/break old habits.

Still haven't got the hang of showing the charm bar, seems like I'm always off by a few pixels, haven't found the sweet spot. Edit it's easier to just move to the top right and wait a few.

Starting to explore the more finer features such as recovery and backup items that were discussed a few weeks ago.

I've noticed I didn't enjoy it all with a laptop & trackpad. On the desktop however, with a full mouse and keyboard... it isn't too bad. I do think it's goofy i have to "swipe" my mouse with the login screen.

I despised it the first hour, but it has really grown on me. Think i'll keep using it.

Why is this the prevailing mindset? that we should just accept whatever a company puts out and be happy with it? The world today is really bizarre...

You and I rarely agree on much of anything, but on this I agree with you 100%. So far, Windows 8 is annoying me far more than it is impressing me. Maybe if I had a touch screen things would be different, but as it is right now I refuse to completely change my workflow simply to suit Microsoft's whims.

For a tablet or a touch computer, Windows 8 is going to be awesome. For a desktop OS, it needs some polish and/or some changes. It just doesn't quite feel right to me and I can't put my finger on it. I guess that's why they call it beta. I might install it in a VM so I can keep playing with it but it definitely has no place as a main OS in my house.

My computer is not a phone.

No one ever said it was.

Yeah after a few hours I got tired of it.... whereas up until the CP was released I was using the developer preview which to me was better.... (boots were simple and didn't require a reset to switch OSes and they seemed to have taken away the ability to use the scroll wheel on the left side of the screen to switch between apps)

Go to either the bottom or top left corners of the screen, and wait for the box to show up. Then just move your arrow down a bit, and list of all the open apps appears along the side.

Its the changing of the guard I'm afraid. It's all about the money and MS is focusing on the mobile generation and will push it down peoples throats. Might as well start a new sticky for desktop users. Windows 8 is garbage and IMO I don't need a crossing guard to help me across the street. Unless this turns into another ME which I doubt.

It's not a good flow.

You don't need to do that at all. To switch between metro apps, point the cursor to the top-left and drag it down slightly for the app switcher. You can also drag the metro app to the right side of the screen so that it "docks" there, and hence use the desktop alongside the messenger app.

If you want to open a new app, press the Window key on the keyboard or point it to the bottom-left corner to go to the start screen and start typing. You don't need to drag through anything since you can instantly search for it.

Not a fan at the moment... I actually find it irritating to use.

Same here. I wanted to like it but I don't see it on my desktop. I've used Windows for years, many Linux distros, Chrome OS, Android, etc and I find this the most confusing and frustrating OS I've tried. I can't imagine an average user using this, much less liking it.

• Like 2

I was hoping for sort of a dual start button one for metro and one for classic or a way to easily switch it. I can't find any of my programs easily in metro and it is distracting. The pc is more of a childrens toy with metro. If it stays this way it is I am not upgrading ever. I'll just stick with 7 until it gets dropped from support then go to linux. Hopefully it doesn't come to that The pc is more of a childrens toy with metro. I have a feeling that most people will experience the same frustration most of us are experiencing and want to downgrade so I hope ms does a downgrade option with new pcs like they did with vista.

• Like 3

Same thing everyone is saying.

The Metro UI may be good for tablets and phones, but I don't want it in my desktop.

I had used the Developer Preview with hacks to remove Metro while keeping the ribbon explorer, and had loved it.

Now I downloaded this, and finding I just can't disable Metro, I'm back to Windows 7.

I find Metro to be a hassle, just getting in the middle of whatever I want to do.

Sad thing is, I feel Microsoft is now blinded by the idea of having the same UI and programming model all across PCs, tablets and phones, and they will do the impossible to feed it down everyone's throats, whether they want it or not.

I hated it at first - even coming from the dev preview, I wasn't sure where some of the mouse gestures went. Now though, after you add some music and photos so there's some media in it, it's fantastic. I cannot stress enough how fantastic it is to be able to watch Netflix on the left side of my screen (in full screen!) while chatting with my gf on the right side.

Same thing everyone is saying.

The Metro UI may be good for tablets and phones, but I don't want it in my desktop.

I had used the Developer Preview with hacks to remove Metro while keeping the ribbon explorer, and had loved it.

Now I downloaded this, and finding I just can't disable Metro, I'm back to Windows 7.

I find Metro to be a hassle, just getting in the middle of whatever I want to do.

Sad thing is, I feel Microsoft is now blinded by the idea of having the same UI and programming model all across PCs, tablets and phones, and they will do the impossible to feed it down everyone's throats, whether they want it or not.

i see nothing wrong with the current interface. There is still improvements that can be made, but people saying that metro is too obtrusive are probably using it wrong as others have mentioned. I am fully capable of doing everything I did in Win7 in the desktop mode but now there is an extra metro dashboard to pin awesome apps for quick access to info like weather and email, but I still use the browser for full gmail. If you are expecting the metro to replace using the standard browser, then your expectations are too high, simply because the current functionality of the apps is limited and will only get better in the future when post-final release.