New to DSLR - Lens recommendations

For ages iv wanted to get a dslr but they've always been out of my price range until now.

Iv decided to go for the Canon 600D/T3i and just get the body as my dad has a 450d with the kit lens if i want to use it, and judging by the reviews the kit lens isn't that good anyway

So now im trying to figure out what lenses to buy

First lens im thinking of getting is the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 and then i'd like a semi decent walkabout lens so any recommendations would be great

As for what type of photography ill be doing, because im a newbie it'll probs be a mix of everything. But i guess to start with mainly portrait shots and a few landscape shots. But would like to get into wildlife in the future (so maybe a 200/300m zoom lens?). Probably aiming to get a lens every 4-6 months depending on price, till iv got around 4-5 covering an all right range

Then comes to budget, because im a newbie and no pro, don't think there's any point in me getting any 1k lenses or any of the canon L series at the moment, so preferably not more than ?500, but if possible around the 200-300 mark

So any recommendations for a general walkabout lens and then ones I should look into after would be great!

The 50mm 1.8 will be your best walk around and portrait lens when it comes to best performance / value. I have a Nikon, but the 35mm 1.8 never really leaves my camera as I don't shoot wildlife (though I'd like to). I used to have a 50mm 1.8 when I had a D90, and I liked it a lot.

As for a good canon zoom lens, I'm really not too familiar with them. Maybe http://goo.gl/CTc3L ?

The 50mm f/1.8 is a great walk around lens, but the 50mm f/1.4 would be a better choice to if you are willing spend a bit more cash.

Also take a look at the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 if you don't mind manual focusing.

I really can't comment on zoom lenses because I don't really use them.

Ok at the moment I'm thinking of getting the Sigma 30mm f1.4, I know there's some QC issues with some of them but sigma offer free calibration for their lenses (well during its warranty period anyway), if there is a problem, and the reviews seem pretty good, very sharp in the center, quality isn't great at the sides but since the subject will be in the center I'm not too worried

The canon 70-300mm lens looks pretty good actually and not a bad price, so will defo look into that cheers

Next lens i think would be something between 20-80mm and then maybe a 12-24mm so there is a little cross over between 70-300 and the 12-24, so again any suggestions on those rough sizes (again roughly ?300) would be very helpful!

Canon 24-105 f/4L. Personally I use it 99% of the time, and the image quality is incredible. Aperture is not really large, but you get an extra 35mm of zoom over the 24-70, and you get IS to go. Small lens distortion at the 24mm end, but other than that, perfect images every time.

• 1 month later...

Every Canon user starting out should get the 50. 18. This is the best bang for the buck. You get a sharp glass for an amazing price of under 100$. It is light and takes great shots.

After having borrowed my friends 75-300 4-5.6 III ... I cannot recommend such a crap lens. Images are rarely ever up to par. if they're far away shows.. you get lots of color fringing.

Sure you can get sharp images, sometimes. But its a rare occasion. Even with Autofocus.