UK ISP BT Offers up to 76Mbps Superfast Broadband Boost for Free

UK ISP BT Offers up to 76Mbps Superfast Broadband Boost for Free

Thanks for all the interest, we're pleased to confirm that from tomorrow 12/4/12, you can order BT Infinity?s new higher speed packages if you live in an Infinity enabled area.

If you order BT Infinity option 2 you?ll benefit from downstream speeds that are roughly double those on offer today ?up to 76Mbps rather than up to 38Mbps. The upstream speed is also increased to 19Mbps ?great news for those who like to upload photos, video, graphics or other rich content. There?s also changes to the BT Infinity option 1 package ?it gets a boost by increasing its upstream speed fivefold from up to 1.9Mbps to up to 9.5Mbps.

How do I get this?

From tomorrow Existing customers can use a simple online form to agree to the re-contract and get the faster speeds at no extra cost. For new customers, if you buy a new BT Infinity package, or switch to BT Infinity from another non-Infinity package tomorrow , you?ll automatically benefit from these higher speeds. We'll post more details on how to order tomorrow.

Infinty was meant to hit my area at the end of March, had no update on it yet but will be hopping on as soon as I can. I currently have their top unlimited package anyway.

I'm just hoping that they don't daytime throttle on Infinity as much as they do on the normal packages.

They get you to re-contract, so there is a catch. On the other hand, Virgin bumping up their speeds does not carry a re-contract clause. Can't wait to be upgraded to 100 and then onto 120MB :D

• Like 1

Just had a quick check, mine and the town next to me exchange arent even on the list of coming soon or future exchanges.

Up yours BT.

Why the need to "re-contract"? It's things like that that make me avoid BT.

Why not, I'm not going with any other ISP while BT are providing these sorts of speeds, quite happy to renew

Infinity not in my area till June.

If you get it, keep whatever router you have. I'm on Infinity, and the new router provided is shocking. We're meant to be getting speeds of up to 40mb, and I've had nights where I'm getting less than on conventional copper cable. I started loading Speedtest.net at the same time as I opened this post. Here's my result with BT Infinity right now. I'm not kidding, either. This is seriously the result I got. Excuse me while I restart my router.

1888339653.png

Attempt 2

1888345046.png

If you get it, keep whatever router you have. I'm on Infinity, and the new router provided is shocking. We're meant to be getting speeds of up to 40mb, and I've had nights where I'm getting less than on conventional copper cable. I started loading Speedtest.net at the same time as I opened this post. Here's my result with BT Infinity right now. I'm not kidding, either. This is seriously the result I got.

1888339653.png

Theres something wrong with your line or router, that ping is ridiculous and you should be getting at least 30x that download speed if not more

Whats worse is, it says that is still better than 50% of GB

Heres mine, and I get the same using their HH3.0, although this is run using my WRT160NL

1888348140.png

What do you get here

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

Why not, I'm not going with any other ISP while BT are providing these sorts of speeds, quite happy to renew

To each their own. I personally do not like when ISPs get you to re-contract. I prefer maximum flexibility in an event of wanting to jump to another provider or cancel service altogether.

Theres something wrong with your line or router, that ping is ridiculous and you should be getting at least 30x that download speed if not more

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

One restart later, and here are my results from both:

Date of Speed Test: 2012-04-11 16:45:54 Download Speed: 680 kbps (85 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 6828 kbps (853.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

1888354051.png

Ridiculous, to be honest. I've had nights where it's absolutely silky smooth as well, which makes it even more frustrating to me.

To each their own. I personally do not like when ISPs get you to re-contract. I prefer maximum flexibility in an event of wanting to jump to another provider or cancel service altogether.

Yea but they're not making you re-contract for nothing, your getting double your current speeds which are pretty damn fast as they are.

Plus, if you were looking to go with BT for the first time, you would have to sign the same contract.

Do you have a noise filter on the line?

Yeah, I do. It's really not normal. :s

One restart later, and here are my results from both:

Date of Speed Test: 2012-04-11 16:45:54 Download Speed: 680 kbps (85 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 6828 kbps (853.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

1888354051.png

Ridiculous, to be honest. I've had nights where it's absolutely silky smooth as well, which makes it even more frustrating to me.

Many people have their problems with BT Infinity resolved overnight by talking to the mods here

http://community.bt.com/

Great set of mods who bend over backwards to help once you explain your problem

Yeah, I do. It's really not normal. :s

You don't use a filter with Infinity, it goes from the main box to the openreach modem to your router to your PC

You don't use a filter with Infinity, it goes from the main box to the openreach modem to your router to your PC

Then I guess I don't. :p I have an ADSL filter on the line, if I remember correctly. Thanks for the tip with the BT community as well!

Then I guess I don't. :p I have an ADSL filter on the line, if I remember correctly. Thanks for the tip with the BT community as well!

They should sort it for you, but yea, I would remove the filter from any sockets in the house and check that just having it connected like this:

New Infinity BT Master Socket > Openreach box > router > PC

See how you get on there

Do you have that Huawei HG612 Openreach modem (not the router, the VDSL modem).

They're known to fail in this way and as such have been replaced by newer 2B and 2V revisions (Should be sticker on the back which says if you have a 2x revision) and also Openreach are now providing modems manufactured by ECI (Although I think this depends on whats in the cabs rather than because of the Huawei's failing).

They get notoriously hot. Even the two newer versions aren't exactly reliable unfortunately.

If you get it, keep whatever router you have. I'm on Infinity, and the new router provided is shocking. We're meant to be getting speeds of up to 40mb, and I've had nights where I'm getting less than on conventional copper cable. I started loading Speedtest.net at the same time as I opened this post. Here's my result with BT Infinity right now. I'm not kidding, either. This is seriously the result I got. Excuse me while I restart my router.

1888339653.png

Attempt 2

1888345046.png

I'm on BT Infinity and whilst my problems aren't as bad as yours, I agree that their router is a joke. The WiFi just randomly decides to stop working about 3 times a day, and the whole connection (wired too) drops daily requiring a reboot. >_<