Paul says no WP8 update for current phones

xeleraph

But Microsoft aren't refusing to make a commitment, they're just not saying anything. People like patseguin are just panicking because of rumours in the blogosphere. I've probably seen just as many rumours suggesting that current phones will get an upgrade as those suggesting that phones won't get an upgrade so it doesn't seem sensible to make decisions based on anything but an official announcement.

Uh, not saying anything is refusing to make a commitment.

Microsoft has already been asked repeatedly about this issue and they've refused to say anything, not even to quash unfavorable rumors when WP is in bad need of all the positive press it can get. That's more than enough legitimate reason for anyone who cares about upgrade paths to panic.

• Like 1
Muhammad Farrukh

Hard to believe the Windows Phones just released would have such a short life if we follow this news... HTC Titan II , Lumias and all other WP phones!

PS if they were testing WP8 on Lumia 610 , i doubt higher end phones can't run WP8.

They'll get it. Dont worry.

At least I hope :s

Uh, not saying anything is refusing to make a commitment.

Microsoft has already been asked repeatedly about this issue and they've refused to say anything. There's more than enough legitimate reason to panic.

Not until we get the word, no

xeleraph

Not until we get the word, no

Not for you, maybe. But for everyone else who doesn't have irrational emotional investments in WP and are subscribing to nothing more than wishful thinking, yes.

Like I said, why take the risk?

patseguin

But Microsoft aren't refusing to make a commitment, they're just not saying anything. People like patseguin are just panicking because of rumours in the blogosphere. I've probably seen just as many rumours suggesting that current phones will get an upgrade as those suggesting that phones won't get an upgrade so it doesn't seem sensible to make decisions based on anything but an official announcement.

You're 100% right. I wonder why MS won"t make an official statement and ensure the success of their platform. Could it be because the news is not good?

Muhammad Farrukh

Not for you, maybe. But for everyone else who doesn't have irrational emotional investments in WP and are subscribing to nothing more than wishful thinking, yes.

Like I said, why take the risk?

In my opinion, there is no risk. At all.

Microsoft knows Windows Phone is not doing great. Its like shooting oneself in the foot. Which is unlikely. At least to me.

I don't think Microsoft is that stupid

xeleraph

In my opinion, there is no risk. At all.

That's your opinion.

Microsoft knows Windows Phone is not doing great. Its like shooting oneself in the foot. Which is unlikely. At least to me.

I don't think Microsoft is that stupid

The fact that WP isn't doing great is exactly why Microsoft would want to shut off upgrade paths. Which of the two would most likely lead to increase in market share: prioritize existing customers and alienate carriers, or just screw over the 1.9% of users who bought WP and suck up to the carriers by pandering to their customization and lock-in demands so WP can be marketed to the wider masses like Android did so successfully?

Muhammad Farrukh

like Android did so successfully?

Conversely, we have iPhones :p

xeleraph

Conversely, we have iPhones :p

iPhones are different. Carriers will never want to let anyone else do to them what Apple did, ever. Apple got away with it because carriers didn't foresee what would happen to them in the long term if they submitted themselves to Apple's thumb, which is why Microsoft isn't likely to foist the same conditions on carriers successfully.

simplezz

There is no official word on it, that the devices won't get Apollo update.

They, most likely, will.

You just contradicted yourself. If there is no official word, how do you know it's "most likely"? Microsoft's silence is deafening regarding this issue.

jakem1

You're 100% right. I wonder why MS won"t make an official statement and ensure the success of their platform. Could it be because the news is not good?

As I said previously, I suspect that they're still working with partners to work out how the upgrade will work and who will receive it. If that's the case then they're just not making an official statement because they don't have any news to report, not because they're trying to trick people into buying phones that won't receive an upgrade.

I think you should sit tight and continue to enjoy your phone. As others have said, both Nokia and Microsoft have too much to lose to not offer upgrades.

simplezz

Actually, thinking about it now, it makes perfect sense. Windows Phone 6.x didn't get an upgrade to 7, and 7.x won't get an upgrade to 8. So if the pattern holds, 8.x won't get an upgrade to 9.

.Neo

That's your opinion.

Do you always repeat things that have just been said?

• Like 1
xeleraph

Do you always repeat things that have just been said?

When emphasis is needed, yes. I assume you have some sort of point you're trying to make, but I can't quite figure out what it is, can you help us out here?

Stoffel

When emphasis is needed, yes. I assume you have some sort of point you're trying to make, but I can't quite figure out what it is, can you help us out here?

somebody started with the following: In my opinion......

That's when you replied, That's your opinion.

It's kinda stating the obvious no?

xeleraph

somebody started with the following: In my opinion......

That's when you replied, That's your opinion.

It's kinda stating the obvious no?

You mean like what you're doing?

downhillrider

im starting to think that MS will say sorry gen 1/2 users. if you want apollo buy a new phone. they have the money to absorb any potential financial hit. lets be honest, the windowsphone base is so small it might not matter.

BajiRav

I think it's going to be pretty simple. First gen phones i.e. those that came with Windows Phone 7.0 will not receive update. The second gen. phones such as Samsung Focus * and Lumias except for the low end devices will receive WP8. Much like what Apple did initially (and still does from usability perspective i.e. iPhone 3G received iOS 4.0 but it was next to useless).

Muhammad Farrukh

In my opinion, all of the current ones will get Apollo

MorganX

If the Lumia's do not get WP8, this will be disastrous for the platform. And I'm a huge fan of it. Terrible.

MorganX

If this is true, all Apple needs to do is release a 4.3" screen iPhone and its game over.

.Neo

I take it by "us" you mean yourself. Muhammad Farrukh was christal clear about stating his own personal opinion regarding the matter. Your post added absolutely nothing to that.

Muhammad Farrukh

If this is true, all Apple needs to do is release a 4.3" screen iPhone and its game over.

*In House' voice* Hmmmm...

While the only thing 'missing' in the iPhone, to me at least, is the big screen, I doubt Apple will completely dump 3.5' and go straight to 4.3''

There is a decent amount of market that doesn't care about the screen sizem and doesn't need a big one.

If we can get it in two flavours, 3.5'' and +4.0'', it will boast the sales pretty high, since a lot of people, like me, are resistant to the iPhones just because of the screen size

Aethec

Thurrott says WP8 requires multi-core processors. That would be an insane marketing decision since Android would get all the "cheap" phones you get for free with small contracts.

Besides, we know Windows "8" (actually, a modified Win7 build) can run (or, at least, display the task manager and the Solitaire game) on an old ASUS developer device (see the B8 post on WOA).

I think (just a guess) that the reason MS is silent is that it's not performant enough on really low-end phones for now, and they don't want to promise anything. If they say WP8 will be on all phones and for some reason it isn't, there'll be a backslash. If they say "high-end phones will get an update", people will understand "low-end phones won't" and there will be a backslash. :/

MorganX

*In House' voice* Hmmmm...

While the only thing 'missing' in the iPhone, to me at least, is the big screen, I doubt Apple will completely dump 3.5' and go straight to 4.3''

There is a decent amount of market that doesn't care about the screen sizem and doesn't need a big one.

If we can get it in two flavours, 3.5'' and +4.0'', it will boast the sales pretty high, since a lot of people, like me, are resistant to the iPhones just because of the screen size

It didn't bother me until I went Titan, and now Lumia. I just don't think I can go back, I still have my iP4, but I squint at it now. But if there's no WP8 update for the Lumia, I just can't support this move by MS. This on top of failure to produce a complete bluetooth stack and remaining silent about when/if they'll fix it. Several app and accessory developers I've contact have no plans to support Windows Phone in their roadmap. Some because of the lack of bluetooth they can't, others are firmly in iOS camp.

I have a bad feeling Microsoft is going to blow it ... AGAIN!

• Like 1
efjay

II have a bad feeling Microsoft is going to blow it ... AGAIN!

They've already begun with Skype not being available on low cost Tango phones. Min req is 512MB which immediately denies users of those devices a pretty big feature. But who wants to bet Tango will probably get thier app working with the restriction of no background tasks? MS WILL blow it again. Bank on it.