14 year-old boy charged for sex with classmate

A 14-year-old Springboro boy has been charged with a juvenile count of rape and placed on house arrest for allegedly having consensual sex with a 12-year-old female classmate at Springboro Junior High School in a school bathroom during study hall last month.

The charged student, who is not being identified by the Dayton Daily News, first appeared for arraignment in Warren County Common Pleas Court Juvenile Division on March 29, according to court records. The alleged incident took place March 26 at Springboro Junior High School, and the girl told police she ?had sex with the suspect,? according to records.

By Ohio law, engaging in sexual conduct with any person less than 13 years old is rape, whether that conduct is consensual or not.

Fornshell said the case?s maximum punishment could include supervision by the Ohio Department of Youth Services until he is 21 and a requirement that the boy register as a sexual offender. The boy?s proximity in age to the girl could affect the level of punishment.

more

Not saying I like the idea of a 12 yo girl having sex, but come one, that boy it's not a sex offender nor he should have that stigma over his shoulders the rest of his life.

Not saying I like the idea of a 12 yo girl having sex, but come one, that boy it's not a sex offender nor she should have that stigma over his shoulders the rest of his life.

Exactly. Sex offender laws go too far in some areas. We have degrees of murder, but nothing for sex offending... Touch a breast, sex offender - Rape - sex offender....

• Like 2

This is ****ed up. Now this 14 year old boy's life is ruined because of a nonsensical law. It was consensual, there is only 2 year age difference, but he will still nonetheless have to register as sex offender in the same league as rapist, molesters and pedophiles.

Not something that I agree with doing at that age but doesn't change the fact human instinct and that kids are going to do it anyway. Expulsion for both students for having sex on school grounds would be more appropiate. He is a minor too, how is it that she didn't "rape" him. Neither can legally consent, but both were willing participants.

A 14 yr. old with 12 yr. old is considered rape? What?

In the US the age of consent varies by state and runs 16-18. Sex with anyone younger is a felony, especially if they're 12 or under which is the clinical (and usually legal) definition of pedophelia - even if the perp is an adolescent. Adolescent offenders often take a 'set' for that age victim and continue to re-offend.

In the US the age of consent varies by state and runs 16-18. Sex with anyone younger is a felony, especially if they're 12 or under which is the clinical (and usually legal) definition of pedophelia - even if the perp is an adolescent. Adolescent offenders often take a 'set' for that age victim and continue to re-offend.

It says right in the article "By Ohio law, engaging in sexual conduct with any person less than 13 years old is rape, whether that conduct is consensual or not." so yeah not 16-18 in this case.

The *normal* age of consent in Ohio is 16, but under 13 is a separate and more serious offense for the reasons listed. The Ohio age of consent is 18 if the older partner is a teacher, administrator, or other person of authority.

Age 16 (31): Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia

17 (9): Colorado, Illinois, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, Texas, Wyoming

?Age 18 (11): Arizona, California, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, North Dakota, Oregon, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin

This would make more sense if he was 16, but he's not; neither of them have reached the age of consent, so from a legal standpoint, they were both raped.

Call me old fashioned, but if I had a 12 year old daughter, and this was her.... Needless to say, I would NOT be happy right now. Consensual or not.

• Like 2

Adolescent offenders often take a 'set' for that age victim and continue to re-offend.

So, a 14 year old will continue to have sex with 12 year old girls even when he's 40. And all that just because he experimented with sex (maybe even for the first time) and his schoolmate consented in doing it.

Unbelievable.

So, a 14 year old will continue to have sex with 12 year old girls even when he's 40. And all that just because he experimented with sex (maybe even for the first time) and his schoolmate consented in doing it.

Unbelievable.

Dumb laws, America, **** yeah.

Unbelievable.

Depends - the greater the age difference the higher the odds.

Dumb laws, America, **** yeah.

UK is also 16. France & Greece are 15, so not much different.

One wrinkle in the US is civil commitment; under some state laws they can incarcerate an adjudged pedophile in a psychiatric institution or psychiatric prison indefinitely.

This seems to be happening more and more... whatever happened to going into places you shouldn't be and getting in trouble with the cops? now it just seems sex sex and sex is the norm for adolescents. Today's generation is just all screwed up imo

Desn't help that since 1900 the age of puberty has dropped drastically. Back then girls didn't start menses until 16 or so, but now you see s sh**load starting at 9-10 and some having babies at 11-12.

Depends - the greater the age difference the higher the odds.

What he wanted to say is : If they let him go now for what he did, he could do it again before reaching the legal age. ( could be at a friend party or something like that ) .

But if they properly punish him now then him and the others in his town might reconsider twice before doing this again.

It is a shame he will have to learn the hard way, but hey kids this day's they think they are over everything and that because they are under the legal age they can get away with anything.

Time to man up, if you want to act like adults , pay like them.

Just my two cents on this

Edit : sorry wanted to quote also the poster you quoted but i miss it.

This one here :

Unbelievable.

I agree - these kids need to get it pounded in early that many states can charge them as adults at very young ages, some under 10. Michigan has charged 11 year olds as adults for murder.

I thought there would be exceptions to the law when closeness in age (within 2 years) for those involved, that are under the age of consent.

Edit: thats exactly what it says in wikipedia.. as with many other states and other countries.

The age of consent in Ohio is 16 as specified by Section 2907.04 of the Ohio Revised Code. However, there exists a close in age exception where an offender can be charged only if 18 years of age or older. However in that case, it is possible for both minors to be charged as "unruly" if brought to court

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America#Ohio

I think that this is just ridiculous. Not saying that it's right but this kind of thing happens whether we like it or not, putting him on a sex offenders register and ruining his entire life for having sex with a girl in his class when he's a young boy is just not right. We all do things we shouldn't when we're young, especially when we're teenagers, no reason to ruin his whole life.