No Metro = Windows 7 SP 2. Don't like Metro, stick with Windows 7.

Your point is valid, but how can it blend better? Right now, you can literally close the desktop, and use only Metro. Think of it this way: you want to run Diablo III, you open the legacy desktop application, since the game was designed to use that. You want to use Photoshop, you open the legacy desktop app, since Photoshop was designed for that environment.

You actually can't close the desktop. It runs all the time... It only gives a feeling that the desktop has been closed (as in not loaded in memory).

Metro is here to stay, its more productive, we need to adapt, we need to accept changes.... bla bla bla.

IMO: It sucks hard.

Why do I need 2 control panels?

Why cant we boot straight to normal desktop, Im on a PC anyways, I dont need the Start menu metro crap.

Metro is here to stay, its more productive, we need to adapt, we need to accept changes.... bla bla bla.

IMO: It sucks hard.

Why do I need 2 control panels?

Why cant we boot straight to normal desktop, Im on a PC anyways, I dont need the Start menu metro crap.

yes, I personally like metro but it would be nice to have an option for it to go directly to the desktop when logging in

The biggest problem right now I see with Windows 8 is that it has two interfaces, both of which are overlapping in functionality but neither of which is complete. You can't stick to one and ignore the other (from a non-touch users' POV). You are working in one environment and suddenly, for some reason or another, you have to go to the other. And its a jarring experience.

I, perhaps, will like it the day either or both interfaces become fully featured, or they converged to some middle ground acceptable to both camps of users. Till then, I won't be upgrading from Windows 7. I know it has lot more features than just the UI, but the UI is the way you access those feattures. An UI that doesn't work for me is a deal breaker.

Okay - how does it get in the way on your gaming setup?

You state that it gets in the way - what I want to know is *how*.

I do play games on my desktop - Consumer Preview and all; in fact every game that I played on Windows 7+SP1. I play on the Consumer Preview.

Is it more the UI change *outside* the desktop (which, other than the Start menu being gone, hasn't changed one bit from Windows 7) or that you are tied to the Start menu?

When I boot 8 I see metro, something I don't need, don't have any use for, is ugly and completely useless to me, that means it is in my way and I need to get it out of my way by going to the regular desktop before getting anything accomplished.

Metro UI is ugly, keep that garbage for systems with touchscreens but spare the PC at least. Microsoft thinks that their WP7 UI would be fine on a Desktop but who needs touchscreen features on a system with a Mouse and Keyboard. No wonder why Windows 8 will be dead on arrival.

Metro UI is ugly, keep that garbage for systems with touchscreens but spare the PC at least. Microsoft thinks that their WP7 UI would be fine on a Desktop but who needs touchscreen features on a system with a Mouse and Keyboard. No wonder why Windows 8 will be dead on arrival.

And you know this for a fact that windows 8 will be dead on arrival or is this the first time you heard of windows 8 and its features and your assuming so without facts

Some people will like and do like Metro, The same as some people like Windows Blinds themes. I personally don't like either. Your personal preferences can't be imposed onto everyone else and you tell them they will hate it. Let them try it and they will see if they like it or not.

Here's the real question - which is more important? Backward-compatibility or UI consistency?

For the little amount that I would need backwards compatibility for I would choose UI consistency ever time.

Most people don't hate "Metro", they just want it blended better with the experience we already have and love. Smaller steps over time allows for better consumer adoption, an easier to learn and use experience, and even better course correction when something isn't working out. With such a giant leap, you risk annoying your users, preventing upgrades, lower adoption by businesses, and even have the chance of jumping way to far in the wrong direction. Look at Vista, such a giant leap caused all sorts of problems. Windows 7 was a smaller step that took the time to refine and build and it turned out great. We do need to move on from the past, but we should probably be doing in it more controlled, less drastic ways. Windows 8 and Metro can make for an outstanding OS if Metro and the existing desktop were just connected and blended a little better. Right now all we have is two totally different OSs fighting for control.

windows 7 is the new XP. It's the one that will set in corporate offices and classrooms for 10+ years. I predict that 8 will be a bomb like vista and ME before it with windows 9 being a far superior improvement on what 8 tries to be.

Yea, Metro is really going to win over everyone. Like I said before. Change is not always good. I always said they built this for tablet/touchscreens and not for the general desktop. Guess I'm not alone in that thinking.

http://www.pcmag.com...,2403179,00.asp

In this play for tablet relevancy, however, Microsoft risks alienating its traditional base of desktop and laptop users. Because, as cool as Metro is, it kind of sucks without a touch screen.

http://mashable.com/...preview-review/

Still, after using Metro as mouse-and-keyboard inteface, I?m more wary. As beautiful as Metro is, I think some of the decisions Microsoft has made in how it works on a traditional (that is, a non-touchscreen) PC are questionable.

http://www.engadget....ed-impressions/

However, it's still a clumsier desktop OS than Windows 7. That's a problem Microsoft must fix before release.

http://www.zdnet.com...t;siu-container

Inconsistencies in the Windows user interface is nothing new, but this mish-mash of Metro and Classic takes it to an absurd level.

You can't run away from progress and "new" technology my friend. Eventually, you too will have to upgrade to Windows 8 whether you like it or not,

Wrong on the facts I'm afraid. Metro is not "new" technology, and does not in any way represent progress for the desktop.

You can't run away from progress and "new" technology my friend. Eventually, you too will have to upgrade to Windows 8 whether you like it or not, when Windows 7 suffers the same fate as Windows XP and Windows 2000 before that and so on. The OS will become obsolete and nobody, including its creator, will support it any longer and therefore forcing you to update to the new and latest OS. Its innevitable. Like the Borg say: "Resistance is futile."

We have till January 14th 2020, by then MS will have learnt from the folly known as "Metro" and made it optional in Windows x (and BTW Windows XP pro still has just over 2 years of support left)

http://windows.micro...ducts/lifecycle

Uh, yes they do, and by an overwhelming majority.

Source? All we have is anecdotal evidence and it tends to be the most vocal critics that post the most. Certainly Metro is divisive but so was the ribbon - that doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing.

Hey neowin mods! Why don't we create a poll "Do you like MS going with Metro on Windows 8 , even for Laptops and Desktops?" and lock all these threads which include ppl who haven't tried Win8 themselves and are commenting on the basis of Win8 CP which is just a development milestone?

Or seeing as how we are human beings maybe we could post about something else?

Win 8 is coming, Win 7 will go!!! Progression is right irrespective of change, so how about we all just get along before WW3 starts in this place?

<----Spam border finished---->

Peoples opinions are thier own, when you try to force someone else to share your opinion, you relinquish your right to have one. Simple

Source? All we have is anecdotal evidence and it tends to be the most vocal critics that post the most. Certainly Metro is divisive but so was the ribbon - that doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing.

Source..?? Seriously..??

How about every damn site in these interwebs that allow user comments....will that do..?? I've yet to come across a single one where the majority like metro for the desktop. Hell, not even this site, which I'll graciously call, er, pro-microsoft......

Source..?? Seriously..??

How about every damn site in these interwebs that allow user comments....will that do..?? I've yet to come across a single one where the majority like metro for the desktop. Hell, not even this site, which I'll graciously call, er, pro-microsoft......

are YOU sure, from what I've seen it's actually pretty evenly split down the middle on people liking and disliking metro

on a different not though, as I've said before in other threads, Why completely diss and ignore Windows 8 because of something so small as the new metro start screen? there are too many other great improvements made to just ignore Windows 8, if you don't like the metro start screen install ViStart or something similar to emulate the start menu, then you don't have to mess with the metro start screen except when you log in (unless microsoft or another 3rd party adds the option to log in directly to the desktop)

Let's talk :shiftyninja:

I'll do it in half the price you have to pay to Calum to do it

:shiftyninja: