Would you buy this Nokia Windows tablet?

gcaw

Last week, Nokia's outgoing chairman spilled the beans on the company's plans for a range of tablets and 'hybrid' devices. Although Nokia later attempted to distance itself from his comments, let's face it: the arrival of a Nokia tablet is a certainty - a question of when, not if.

Given Nokia's increasingly close and interdependent relationship with Microsoft - not just through Windows Phone, but also with services and software development - it seems equally inevitable that the OS of choice for Nokia's tablets will be Windows. But that's about all we really know about the company's plans for its new slates, and that got us thinking: what could the first Nokia tablet look like?

Something believable

While the web is littered with make-believe devices with wishlist specs that only a fanboy could dream of, we wanted to try to conceive of something a little more grounded in reality. It's just not terribly likely that Nokia's first Windows tablet will have sixteen cores, a 3D 4K-resolution display, telepathic controls and a built-in holodeck - maybe next time around, but for a first-gen device, we're pretty confident that those specs are a bit far-reaching.

In all likelihood, Nokia's first Windows tablet isn't going to have the kind of OTT specs that would make a techie drool, but much like the Lumia range of Windows Phones, we imagine it'll be stunning to look at, with very capable hardware that does everything you could need incredibly well.

So with those caveats established, where did our imagination take us? Well, we've dreamt up a 10.1" Windows RT tablet, called the Nokia Tiviti 9210. Take a look at the pics, scan through the spec sheet below them, and then answer the poll question: would you buy this Nokia tablet?

post-389204-0-05166000-1336732682_thumb.

NOKIA

Tiviti 9210 with Windows RT

Processor: Dual-core 1.5GHz Qualcomm MSM8960 Pro Snapdragon S4

Dimensions: 260.2 x 177.5 x 8.8 mm

Weight: 575g

Display:

10.1" capacitive multitouch display

Super IPS+ LCD | ClearBlack | 1920x1200px Full HD

Corning Gorilla Glass 2

Storage and memory:

32GB/64GB integrated local storage + SkyDrive cloud storage

1GB SDRAM

Power management:

Integrated 7700mAh battery for up to 12 hours of usage

Connectivity:

Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

Bluetooth 4.0

4G LTE | UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA | CDMA EV-DO Rev.A | GSM/EDGE

DLNA/PlayTo

Micro USB

3.5mm AHJ connector

Imaging with Carl Zeiss Optics:

Front camera: 2MP for video calling

Rear camera: 8MP

- Rear F number / aperture: 2.2

- Camera focal length: 28mm

- Video recording with rear camera, Full HD (1080p) up to 30fps with stereo audio capture

Sensors:

Accelerometer | Ambient light sensor | Assisted GPS + GLONASS | Compass | Gyroscope | Proximity sensor

Hardware keys:

Power | Volume | Camera | Rotation lock | Windows button

Pricing off-contract:

32GB WiFi + 4G: $499 USD | ?449 GBP | ?529 EUR | $659 AUD

64GB WiFi + 4G: $629 USD | ?549 GBP | ?649 EUR | $759 AUD

- - - - -

You can vote in the Neowin poll by going to the article page - but we also want to hear your thoughts about how you might improve the Tiviti 9210 hardware and design, and what you think Nokia needs to make its first real tablet a success.

With that, it's over to you.

cleverclogs

The left and right edges need a little more work, more tapered. And it looks a little TOO thick. LOL @ resolution, that'd be expensive... I'd rather it be $500. Lose the back camera, keep the front camera for Skype. Don't 'really' need it to be connected to anything other than WiFi if using a phone for tethering, which you likely would.

Panda X

Would rather have a x86 tablet just in case I need it for whatever reason. But that doesn't seem bad.

• Like 1
+Frank B.

Yes, I would buy one.

tuneslover

O YEAH BABY :p :D

George P

I'd buy one, 32GB for $500, the 12hr battery life and higher res seals the deal for me. It might be nice to have more GPU power for a tablet though so I'd first be checking out what nVidia does on that end.

• Like 1
Growled

I don't know. I'd have to go into the store and play around with one first and get a real feel for one.

Subhadip

Snapdragon S4 is dual-core, Snapdragon S4 Pro will be quad-core and featuring a new Adreno 300 GPU. I have no doubt S4 Pro will be the dominant SoC for Windows RT.

Miuku.

If you can replace the OS, then yes - I quickly used W8 on an Intel proto tablet at my old work when I visited them 2 days ago and I wanted to use it as a frisbee after a few minutes.

And before you start moaning, I don't own nor am I interested in an iPad either.

jakem1

At this stage I'm just not sure if I want a tablet based on ARM or x86. I know what to expect from the former so at this stage I'm really just waiting to see what OEMs will do with the latter before I decide. I like the idea of a dockable tablet that can be used as a full PC but it needs to be able to compete with ARM in terms of battery life and speed waking from sleep.

Having said that, if Nokia produced something that looked similar to the renders above I would seriously consider it. IMO, the Lumia 800/900 are the best looking phones on the market at the moment and a tablet with similar styling would be quite desirable.

Hell-In-A-Handbasket

I'd get one depending on price

*edit- saw the prices at the bottom of specs, yea I'd pick one up if the performance is good, and the price doesn't hike

• 2 weeks later...
floopydoodle

Back facing cameras on tablets is just stupid. Leave that crap to Apple.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By indospot
      HMD Global introduces the Nokia 6300 and 8000 with 4G and Google Assistant
      by João Carrasqueira

HMD Global has announced the latest members of its family of feature phones, or "dumb" phones, as they're sometimes called. The new phones are the Nokia 6300 4G and Nokia 8000 4G, and they share some similarities in terms of specs and features, including the same Snapdragon 210 chipset, 512MB of RAM, and 4GB of internal storage, which you can expand via microSD cards.

The Nokia 6300 4G naturally draws some inspiration from the original Nokia 6300 from 2007 in terms of design, but it's been modernized to be more suitable for the modern day. KaiOS can run some basic apps - including popular apps like WhatsApp - and it also supports the Google Assistant, so there are still some smarts. What's notable about it is that it's Nokia cheapest phone yet to offer that feature set, coming in at an average retail price of €49.

In addition to 4G, the phone supports Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, A-GPS, and it has an FM radio, which is enabled by connecting a headset with the 3.5mm jack. The display is a 2.4-inch QVGA panel, which isn't meant to wow anyone, and the camera is also the bare minimum, being a VGA sensor, but it does have a flash, which can be used with the camera or just as a flashlight. There's a 1,500mAh battery, which promises up to 27.9 days of standby time and 8.2 hours of talk time.

As mentioned above, the Nokia 8000 4G is very similar in terms of specs, and the biggest differences are in the design. It has a front panel that curves at the edges, including the number keys, and the back uses a "glass-like" material to make the phone feel more premium. It also comes in different colors that make better use of that design.

Specs-wise, the only differences are the display, which is 2.8 inches diagonally, and the rear camera, which is a 2MP sensor instead of a VGA one. Everything else is pretty much the same.

Both phones are available in select markets from today. The Nokia 6300 4G comes in Cyan Green, Light Charcoal, and Powder White colors and costs €49 on average. The Nokia 8000 4G comes in Onyx, Opal, Citrine, and Topaz color options, and costs €79.

• By Abhay V
      HMD Global brings the Nokia 8.3 5G as the Nokia 8 V 5G UW via Verizon to the U.S.
      by Abhay Venkatesh

HMD Global today announced that it is launching the Nokia 8.3 5G in the U.S. as the Nokia 8 V 5G UW via Verizon. The 8.3 5G originally debuted in March and was reported to be coming to the U.S. sometime this fall.

The latest 5G offering from Verizon Wireless bears the nomenclature seen on all its other devices, with the UW suffix signifying support for the faster mmWave 5G speeds. The device also supports Verizon 5G Nationwide, the carrier’s recently announced sub-6Ghz low band 5G network. Juho Sarvikas, Chief Product Officer at HMD Global, said that the device is the company’s “first affordable flagship carrier device on Android in the U.S.”.

As for the specs, the Nokia 8 V 5G UW is powered by a Snapdragon 765G with 6GB or 8GB RAM and 64GB or 128GB storage options. The device also supports expandable storage via microSD cards. At the front sits a 6.81-inch FullHD+ PureDisplay screen with support for HDR. At the rear, the device sports a quad-camera setup with ZEISS optics. The main camera duties are carried out by a 64MP sensor accompanied by an ultra-wide-angle sensor with Night video mode for improved low light performance, a macro lens, and a depth camera unit. The phone features a power button-mounted fingerprint sensor and houses a 4500mAh battery.

The Nokia 8 V 5G UW will be available starting November 12 from $699.99 on Verizon’s website and the My Verizon app.

• By Abhay V
      Google discloses a zero-day vulnerability in Windows, currently exploited in the wild
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Google’s Project Zero team known to discover security threats has disclosed a zero-day vulnerability in Windows that it believes affects versions from Windows 7 all the way to Windows 10 version 1903 - which was the version that the team tested its code on. The company’s post says that it has evidence of active exploits, which could allow attackers to execute code with elevated permissions.

What’s interesting is that the vulnerability that is tracked with the label CVE-2020-17087, coupled with another actively exploited Chrome zero-day vulnerability disclosed last week (CVE-2020-15999), performs what is known as a sandbox escape. This is where the malicious actor leverages these two bugs to execute code on a compromised target by escaping the secure environment of the browser, explains ZDNet’s Catalin Cimpanu.

The disclosure post also adds that Microsoft will be patching this vulnerability with the upcoming Patch Tuesday updates on November 10. However, the fixes for Windows 7 versions will only make it to users that have subscribed for extended security updates (ESU), so not all users will be able to patch their Windows 7 systems. Since the bug was being actively exploited, the search giant’s team provided Microsoft with seven days to patch the bug before disclosing it publicly today.

Google has already patched the Chrome vulnerability with stable build version 86.0.4240.1111. As for the Windows bug, the vulnerability lies in the Windows Kernel Cryptography Driver (cng.sys), which the Project Zero team explains in detail in the post here. The company has also attached a proof-of-concept code to show how the exploit could crash the system.

Additionally, Google’s Threat Analysis Group direction Shane Huntly has confirmed that the exploit is not related to any state-sponsored attack on the upcoming U.S. election.

• By zikalify
      Nokia report warns of rising cyberattacks on IoT devices
      by Paul Hill

Nokia’s latest Threat Intelligence Report has warned that cyberattacks on internet-connected devices are continuing to rise at an “alarming rate” due to poor security protections. The report found that IoT devices now make up 33% of infected devices, up from 16% in 2019.

According to the report, the most affected IoT devices are those that are routinely assigned public-facing internet IP addresses. It highlighted that networks that use carrier-grade Network Address Translation see the infection rate of IoT devices reduced considerably because the vulnerable devices are not visible to network scans.

Commenting on the findings in the report, Bhaskar Gorti, Nokia Software President and Chief Digital Officer, said:

Pivoting away from IoT devices, the report also looks at how cybercriminals have used the COVID-19 pandemic to launch cyberattacks. It said that criminals are using people’s fears to spread malware, for example, it said that a coronavirus map application mimicked the Johns Hopkins University app and deployed malware on the devices it was installed on. To protect against these types of attacks, Nokia’s report suggests that people should only install applications from trusted sources such as Google and Apple.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Samsung rolls out the Galaxy Tab Active3 Enterprise Edition in Germany for €477
      by Jay Bonggolto

Samsung announced today the availability of the Galaxy Tab Active3 Enterprise Edition in Germany. The rugged tablet was originally unveiled late last month for enterprise users.

The Tab Active3 is now available to purchase via Samsung's retail partners and select wireless carriers in Germany. It carries a price tag of €477, available only in black and with support for three generations of Android upgrades.

It sports an 8-inch TFT LCD display with a 1920x1200 resolution. The tablet is powered by an octa-core Exynos 9810 SoC paired with 4GB of RAM and up to 128GB of internal storage that's expandable via a microSD card. At the back of the device, there's a 13MP camera while at the front sits a 5MP selfie camera.

As a rugged device, it is MIL-STD-810H certified, meaning it can endure various challenging environments. It is also IP68-rated for dust and water protection. Samsung also claims the tablet can withstand a drop of up to 1.5 meters courtesy of its shock absorption system coupled with its Protective Cover.

The Tab Active3 packs a 5050mAh removable battery that features a No Battery mode, allowing you to use the tablet without a battery by plugging it in to a power supply. Of course, it supports Samsung DeX for a PC-like experience and Google ARCore for augmented reality services. In addition, it has a quick access button mounted on its side and comes with an IP68-certified S Pen.